I’m getting too old to buy more wine!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

I’m getting too old to buy more wine!

#1 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 12th, 2019, 9:37 pm

No, not because I have more than enough to last me until I die, and not because I’m so old that I will die before any new-release stuff I would buy will be fully mature.

Rather, it’s just that Garagiste and Fass shipments arrived on the same day and I had to carry seven cases of wine in from the car and down the stairs to the cellar, and I can already tell that it’s going to take a crane to get me out of bed in the morning. I’m too old for this (stuff)!
[snort.gif]

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I’m getting too old to buy more wine!

#2 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm

That is why I hate going to offsite; my back is older than I am, and I feel my offsite visits for at least a couple days afterwards.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mark Y » November 12th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Oh good. Less people buying = lower price? ;)
Y.e.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 5:21 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 9:37 pm
No, not because I have more than enough to last me until I die, and not because I’m so old that I will die before any new-release stuff I would buy will be fully mature.

Rather, it’s just that Garagiste and Fass shipments arrived on the same day and I had to carry seven cases of wine in from the car and down the stairs to the cellar, and I can already tell that it’s going to take a crane to get me out of bed in the morning. I’m too old for this (stuff)!
[snort.gif]
I have a bunch of six bottle carriers from wine stores. I put the wines in them when I get them into the house and then only carry six bottles at a time going down to the basement. Helps with the back. [In fact, I even find it easier to carry down two of these (one in each hand) that one big box that is awkward to take down the steps.]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by J a y H a c k » November 13th, 2019, 6:51 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
I go to the gym at least once a week and work on heavy weights so that I can carry stuff to the basement, and I'm 68 years old, so stop whining becaue there is no H in wine. I just carried a wooden case full of heavy bottle of SQN down to the cellar and made it back alive.

I also keep a bottle of Naproxen and a back brace in the cellar just in case.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Josh Grossman » November 13th, 2019, 6:59 am

I'm sure you can bribe some youngin' working at the wine shop. I help friends move for shitty beer.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 7:32 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:51 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
I go to the gym at least once a week and work on heavy weights so that I can carry stuff to the basement, and I'm 68 years old, so stop whining becaue there is no H in wine. I just carried a wooden case full of heavy bottle of SQN down to the cellar and made it back alive.

I did not realize that SQN made wines that weigh more than other wines.
Howard

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#8 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » November 13th, 2019, 7:47 am

When I drive down to the UPS store in NY to pick up my shipments and bring them back to Toronto, I repack everything at the store because I don't want to haul all the box inserts and styrofoam back home with me. UPS will recycle everything for $2 and it's the best $2 I've ever spent.

But this inevitably means I'm repacking 18+ bottles into each shipping box so they don't rattle around loosely on the drive home. Those boxes are fun to haul down to the basement, but I haven't injured myself... so far... and I'm not young.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 13th, 2019, 7:57 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
This is why Alfert has associates
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 13th, 2019, 7:58 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 7:32 am
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

LOL, their bottles weigh A LOT more empty than a DRC bottle weighs full.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Matthew King » November 13th, 2019, 8:03 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

Actually the wine weighs the same as other producers. It’s those stupid bottles! [wink.gif]
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by John Morris » November 13th, 2019, 8:05 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 7:57 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
I wonder what their hourly rate is for the boss?
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 13th, 2019, 8:08 am

John Morris wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 8:05 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
He's in charge of the serf . . .er, associate reviews so they are only too happy to "help"

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Glen Gold » November 13th, 2019, 8:18 am

No complaints here. My drinking partner is also my Pilates teacher.

Ron Erickson

#15 Post by Ron Erickson » November 13th, 2019, 8:21 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 8:08 am
John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

He's in charge of the serf . . .er, associate reviews so they are only too happy to "help"
I thought that was the purpose of allowing the deer slayer to return home occasionally.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 8:34 am

John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
When I was a junior associate, I did some personal tax work for a partner. That Christmas, he gave me a bottle of 1969 la Tache as a present. Robert, are you paying attention?
Howard

jon leifer

#17 Post by jon leifer » November 13th, 2019, 9:29 am

+1 re what Howard said..I too use the 6 bottle carry bags to bring wine down to my cellar..much easier,and safer, than schlepping a case down the stairs..and my back thanks me every time
Jon

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 13th, 2019, 10:13 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm
That is why I hate going to offsite; my back is older than I am, and I feel my offsite visits for at least a couple days afterwards.
Necessary accessories for any over-50 wine lover -

Wine Berserkers and Cellar Tracker accounts
Wine Opener
Wine Glasses
Ibuprofen

Every time I carry a case down I think "I need to start unpacking these upstairs and taking them down 6 at a time - I'm no Jay Hack after all," but I'm still too proud (and too close to 50) to take that step. The legs and the arms still have it. The back, not so much. I need to get me one of them pilates teaching drinking buddies, I guess.

Emil F

#19 Post by Emil F » November 13th, 2019, 10:16 am

Maybe avoid Peter Griffin's advice "The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion."

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Anton D » November 13th, 2019, 10:19 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

It's the social signaling components that add weight.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 13th, 2019, 10:38 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

Actually the wines weigh less. Alcohol is lighter than water. But Manfred gets extra dense glass and bigger bottles to make sure that we all stay in shape.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by J a y H a c k » November 13th, 2019, 10:54 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

They just use heavier bottles than that wimpy Bordeaux you love.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by J a y H a c k » November 13th, 2019, 10:56 am

John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
. . .
I would never let my associates touch my wine. It's way too important.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 11:19 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:54 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:

Bore Dough? Me?
Howard

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Anton D » November 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:54 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:

Hence his avatar pic of himself drinking SQN and not some wimpy Bordeaux! [cheers.gif]

champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 13th, 2019, 11:46 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:56 am
John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

I don't think I could get away with using associates, but I have found daughters' boyfriends/husbands to be useful for this task - and safe, as long as the wine is in shipping boxes and not just cardboard cases or anything like that. The problem with those dudes, however, is that (these days anyway) they are rarely around on the days you need them.

R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N

#27 Post by R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N » November 13th, 2019, 12:04 pm

My back is a mess and has been for decades, so I have a bunch of the 6 bottle carry bags that makes it a lot more manageable to schlep wine in and out of the basement. That said, I just added another VK500 to cut down on trips to and from offsite.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 13th, 2019, 1:12 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:56 am
John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

You gotta leverage to make money, Jay!

My time is way too important to touch my wine, as in moving it!

But sadly, I did have move about 12 cases this past weekend from storage to home to load up the new fridge. And I feel you old-men pain! I have a torn left bicep and two hairline fractures in my right wrist due to a cycling accident 4 weeks ago. This move sucked. I feel your pain.

The associates and mail room dudes - we have one big guy like Hodor - can handle all the goodies that come in this week! Shipping season, baby!

And PS. You need to hire me to find out my rate. ;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 13th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 1:12 pm

The associates and mail room dudes - we have one big guy like Hodor - can handle all the goodies that come in this week! Shipping season, baby!
I love our mail room guys for getting the stuff from the mail room to the car (of course they have hand trucks and an elevator). Can't take those guys home, though, and we have no elevator at home, though I do own a hand truck - which came in very handy during cellar renovation (and again from time to time during occasional reorganizations).

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Your firm hires Hodors???? Only in Florida!!!!!!
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

I love our mail room guys for getting the stuff from the mail room to the car (of course they have hand trucks and an elevator). Can't take those guys home, though, and we have no elevator at home, though I do own a hand truck - which came in very handy during cellar renovation (and again from time to time during occasional reorganizations).
I also own a hand truck. Used to be great when I worked getting wine from my office to my car. Not so good going down steps.
Howard

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Anton D » November 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Instead of "Hodor" the guy only says, "Alfert!"
Anton Dotson

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Anton D wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Instead of "Hodor" the guy only says, "Alfert!"
I thought he only says Sociando Mallet!
Howard

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 13th, 2019, 4:59 pm

He calls me Pimp Daddy

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 8:34 am
John Morris wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

When I was a junior associate, I did some personal tax work for a partner. That Christmas, he gave me a bottle of 1969 la Tache as a present. Robert, are you paying attention?
Huh?

They have the pleasure to work for the coolest, hippest, sexiest, smartest, funniest partner and mentor on the “truth” side of the Mason-Dixon Line. They actually buy me gifts. My fave associate gets me an 18 year Islay Malt every Xmas. He makes the most $$.

I love my peeps.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 8:34 am
John Morris wrote:

Huh?

They have the pleasure to work for the coolest, hippest, sexiest, smartest, funniest partner and mentor on the “truth” side of the Mason-Dixon Line. They actually buy me gifts. My fave associate gets me an 18 year Islay Malt every Xmas. He makes the most $$.

I love my peeps.
I live on the same side of the Mason Dixon line as you do and know how to make boiled peanuts!!!!
Howard

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 13th, 2019, 5:37 pm

I will concede to being as much of a faux Southerner as I am a faux Cuban!

I am as deficient in speaking Spanish as I am in boiling peanuts. To be frank, I do not like boiled peanuts. There is something not right about them.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 13th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:37 pm
To be frank, I do not like boiled peanuts. There is something not right about them.
The taste, for one thing. But that's probably quibbling.

T. Williams

#39 Post by T. Williams » November 13th, 2019, 6:23 pm

As a young and speedy member. I really enjoy watching you old farts slowing down a bit and letting some of us young bloods get the bottles you wish you bought. Now if you could only do that with your housing too!!!!

TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Anton D » November 13th, 2019, 6:33 pm

T. Williams wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:23 pm
As a young and speedy member. I really enjoy watching you old farts slowing down a bit and letting some of us young bloods get the bottles you wish you bought. Now if you could only do that with your housing too!!!!

TW
It’s ‘cause you’re wasting all that money on lattes and avocado toast.
Anton Dotson

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:37 pm
I will concede to being as much of a faux Southerner as I am a faux Cuban!

I am as deficient in speaking Spanish as I am in boiling peanuts. To be frank, I do not like boiled peanuts. There is something not right about them.
[wow.gif] [swearing.gif] [head-bang.gif]
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Howard Cooper » November 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm

T. Williams wrote:

TW
When I bought 1982 Cos d’Estournal, it was $130 a case.
Howard

T. Williams

#43 Post by T. Williams » November 13th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm
T. Williams wrote:

TW
I hate you. From a guy who paid $60 for '96 Cantemerle. It aint' what it used to be!!!
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Howard Cooper » November 14th, 2019, 5:50 am

T. Williams wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:49 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm
T. Williams wrote:

TW
I hate you. From a guy who paid $60 for '96 Cantemerle. It aint' what it used to be!!!
[cheers.gif] Having bought wines when they were reasonably priced is about the only thing we old farts have going for us.
Howard

Jayson Cohen

#45 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 14th, 2019, 6:11 am

Alfert, do you accept Baudrys as payment? (We have a strict no Baudrys payment policy. AR gets uppity.)

Jayson Cohen

#46 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 14th, 2019, 6:19 am

I assume I will magically turn crotchety like you guys when I turn 50 in April. I’m used to being on a ladder five feet in the air while moving full cases in a very cramped wine locker at Chelsea Wine Storage. Admittedly dicey. But Jay Miller was one of my locker mates, and I saw him do a pirouette on that ladder while holding a case of 1990 Drouhin Bonnes Mares in one hand. And he’s got 10 years on me.

Good thing we hightailed it out of there 3 years ago.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Josh Grossman » November 14th, 2019, 7:57 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 6:19 am
I assume I will magically turn crotchety like you guys when I turn 50 in April. I’m used to being on a ladder five feet in the air while moving full cases in a very cramped wine locker at Chelsea Wine Storage. Admittedly dicey. But Jay Miller was one of my locker mates, and I saw him do a pirouette on that ladder while holding a case of 1990 Drouhin Bonnes Mares in one hand. And he’s got 10 years on me.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... eam=future

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Jay Miller » November 14th, 2019, 8:42 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]

How do you think they pack in all that "flavor"?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Howard Cooper » November 14th, 2019, 8:56 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 6:19 am

I rather enjoyed going there with Jay several years ago.
Howard

Gerhard P.

#50 Post by Gerhard P. » November 14th, 2019, 9:28 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:

[snort.gif]
C´mon, sounds you are way younger than me - and when I returned from France in September I had to unload 400+ bottles (some have been collected for friends) in 2 hours ... to bring the rented bus back ... and I´m still alive.

I recommend asking help from some friends - and afterwards invite them for a lunch with a good bottle ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Return to “Wine Talk”