WineHunter: 1996 Domaine de l'Aigueliere Montpeyroux Cote Doree, $25

A steal, but not to my yak-like palate.

Currently, at least sixteen potential bidders are tracking this lot, an unusually large crowd, each perhaps waiting until Sunday 6:59:59 Pacific. [wow.gif]

“Signs of past seepage.”

I pretty much pass on anything that mentions seepage. Not worth the risk.

Looks like 2 separate lots: 1 bottle with no negative descriptions, and a 3 bottle lot with the seepage mention?

Oftentimes I see related lots where one is disclosed as having seepage and another is not. While the latter may be true, I assume they were all stored together and thus possibly subject to the same negative condition that might have caused the seepage. I avoid them all. I have had quite good experience with Wine Bid by bidding cautiously, and I have even acquired some wines from the 1970s.

1+

[cheers.gif] Great points and comments to all on this thread. Some very discerning and sophisticated buyers!

I think I’ll avoid for the reasons Alf identified, but this was a mighty fine wine on release and for several years after, if you like that classic NR peppery syrah thing, and this was the first vintage of this or the Rousse I ever had. If properly stored, I suspect it’s held up well. Since they lost their US distribution, my stash has dwindled. I’m down to two bottles of the 2004 Doree, and I think I picked those up in the Caymans. I really wish someone would pick these up for the US. Rob Panzer, maybe you could pay them a visit and see what you think?

I like L´Aigueliere and still have vintages 1994 to 1999 … a no-brainer over the week wine and still drinking fine.
However 1995/97/99 are imho better than 1996 …

Cannot comment reg. seepage though …

It’s very cheap for such a fine wine, but too risky. One of the most elegant wines from that region.

Are Range Rovers an exception? neener

HA.

Greatest. SUV. Eva.

#deerslayer
#lifesaver
#drivingsexy
#100Kwarranty

I’ve had the 1995 and 1996 in recent years and they are drinking well:

1995 Domaine l’Aiguelière Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux Côte Dorée - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux (8/18/2017)
Beautiful pure brambly fruit with a bit of earth and leather, still showing a surprising amount of youth, it is evolving slowly but well. A terrific wine. (93 pts.)

1996 Domaine l’Aiguelière Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux Côte Dorée - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux (11/25/2016)
Lovely older Syrah, with great tart acidic structure buffered by earthy brambly fruit. It broadened out well with air, and is drinking very well. (91 pts.)