TN: 1999 Arns Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (USA, California, Napa Valley)

1999 Arns Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/9/2019)
14.0% abv. Recent auction purchase.
I opened this after a corked bottle of Copain Pinot, and poured a small glass to taste, but the TCA from the Copain was persistent and I couldn’t get a read on this. So, I vacuum sealed this and put it in the fridge for the next evening.
At this point, I was greeted by dark, ripe, fleshy, and youthful Napa Cab. My wife guessed 2015 after I told her it was a Napa Cab, and I have to say that it did not really show much aged character at all. I wouldn’t call it primary, but there is no sign of tertiary development at all. In any case, I found this to be very enjoyable, though I prefer a little less ripeness in Cabernet. No overt oak flavors either, so either they have fully integrated or there was not a lot of new on this in the first place. Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed this and I couldn’t be happier to have 2 more bottles of this to enjoy, especially at the auction price I paid, $26 all in. (91 pts.)

That seems like a great auction pick up at that price. Well done.

Sandy and John used a fair amount of oak.
John managed vineyards and his wife Sandy worked at Long for many years and Heitz before that.
Great people … they babysat our dog when we went on honeymoon …1985

Their vineyard is in the road to Angwin at the base of the hill

Arns has been sold - I think to Abreu. Hasn’t been a lot of talk about it, but I confirmed with a second source today at lunch.

Wow, that’s certainly news. I hope they enjoy their retirement.