What 2008 Champagne Are You Buying?

With all the hype about the 2008 vintage I was wondering what producers people were buying. I’ve decided I want to add more champagne to my cellar

Just bought some Remy Massin. Have a bit of Dom, considering Cristal.

Waiting on Taittinger Comtes de Champagne to come in, assuming I’ll go big there. May buy a couple Veuve to try based on some notes I have seen.

I didnt buy much compared to others because there will always be another “vintage of the century”.

Yong. With respect, a mistake. It’s the real deal. I also bought strongly in 1996, loving them young, and it has proved to be a great decision. No vintage since, until 2008, had me as excited after not just hype but tasting.

Going long on Salon.

1 Like

Dom, Cristal, and Bollinger Grand Annee so far…prob Taittinger Comtes when released.

Ok…maybe not…what about Delamotte?

Jayson.
Funny you say that, I actually felt the same way.

Steve, have you had 2008 Bolly, we sell it and I am ashamed to say I haven’t had time to try it. The other 3 you list are all reputedly killer, so this one sparks my curiousity.

Calling Brad Baker too on Bolly…is this vintage a stock up vintage and no winemaking issues?

I had the 08 La Grande Dame this week and preferred it to the 08 Dom. I’ll probably get some of the Taittinger CdC once it’s on the market.

I see. Maybe I will add a bit more then. If you don’t mind me asking which producers have you bought or planned to buy? Thanks.

LGD and Rose are excellent.

Forgot to mention the vintage Veuve rosé. It’s one of the few rosé champagnes I like. The 08 is just stunning right now.

Pretty sure he was skeptical still of Bollinger (other thread), but said changes were coming that give some hope for long term aging. I forget what thread that was and I’m not sure when the changes were to be implemented?

Couldn’t find it either.

Steve
A very smart time to get into Champagne. 2008 is no doubt one of the better vintages. I used to own only a small handful of producers. Mainly Dom and Krug. Over the past few years caught the Champagne bug big time.

The 08 Dom might be their best vintage yet. Originally bought 10 btls then opened the first one at a NY offline last month and it was stunning.Went and bought 6 more it is so good. Cristal totally hit it out of the park. The 08 Veuve is superb and reasonably priced for the quality. Also have picked up a half dozen or so small growers many of which I had been unfamiliar with until now.

Best advice of where to buy and whose palate to trust is get yourself on Envoyer’s list in Ca. and when they send out their email blasts trust Greg’s palate and I doubt you will be disappointed. They sell usually on pre arrival so you will receive your wines in about a year or so. I have bought about 6 cases of Champagne and white burgs from them that are now in my cellar. Their prices cant be beat. They direct import everything and are quite reliable.

Lastly whatever you buy purchase multiples as they will he delicious young but save a few for 10 years or more down the road when they will develop greater complexity.

Search function success [cheers.gif]

It’s likely out of the market, but if you happen to see the 2008 Chartogne Taillet Heurtebise, don’t hesitate. It’s my favorite Champagne this year and that includes the 08 Dom. Released several years ago, though.

I bought as much as my budget would allow. Dom P, Pierre Peters, Vilmart, Cristal, Aubrey, Soutiran, and anything else I can grab. Waiting on the 2008 Comtes.

I opened the 2008 Grand Annee a couple months ago. I thought the wine showed all the characteristics of the vintage…power, balance, and showing signs of already drinking well. Will it perform for the long haul…at $135 I’m not sure how many years I’m looking to hang on to it. I’m not a huge fan of Dom…but bought six of the '08 and loved it already. And I found the best of the bunch was Cristal (though needing the longest time in the cellar). I’m also thinking of picking up 2006 Krug as well…HDH had it for $1800 for 6 bottles.