Opening wines before reaching restaurant

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Carl I Steefel

Opening wines before reaching restaurant

#1 Post by Carl I Steefel » November 10th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Headed to a place in Napa and fortunately I remembered to call them to make sure they were OK with me opening the wine to breathe before arrival. Good thing I did, because they weren't.

Had this problem before at Commis in Oakland--brought a 1999 Mugnier les Fuees and opened it so that it could get some air, and they refused to let it in. Well, my daughter was able to drink it later with my help, but...

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Opening wines before reaching restaurant

#2 Post by Doug Schulman » November 10th, 2019, 2:51 pm

There seems to be a CA law about this, but I wonder: does anyone actually enforce it? It seems very strange.
ITB - retail sales and education

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I have seen this both enforced and ignored in CA. I always stuff the cork back in deep for the trip to the restaurant.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Bdklein » November 10th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I have never done it and if I owned a restaurant I wouldn’t allow it.
Bruce Klein

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Glas » November 10th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I have never done it and if I owned a restaurant I wouldn’t allow it.
If it is not legal in your state yes but wondering why you are against one letting their wine breath. Can't image many people doing corkage at a restaurant in the first place.

Albert R

#6 Post by Albert R » November 10th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm
I have seen this both enforced and ignored in CA. I always stuff the cork back in deep for the trip to the restaurant.
THIS^^^^^
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jason T » November 10th, 2019, 3:40 pm

As Glenn does I’ll just stuff the cork back in. Also, opening with an ah-so helps keep the cork looking pristine. I’ve never had anyone say anything.
Last edited by Jason T on November 10th, 2019, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J@son Tr@ughber

Arv R

#8 Post by Arv R » November 10th, 2019, 4:05 pm

We've only had one place in all our years reject an already opened bottle.

I guess the waiter just wanted to mangle the cork themselves and make sure we got some particulates in the wine!
R_@_0

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by AAgrawal » November 10th, 2019, 4:08 pm

How do you put the cork all the way back in?

I have had one or two situations like this, and both times the restaurant let it slide "this one time". Can't say I've gone back to either place. For what it's worth, I tried my best to look up and see whether this law exists and I can't find it. There are lots of policies about people leaving with open bottles, but nothing about coming with one.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Y » November 10th, 2019, 4:37 pm

AAgrawal wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Shove really hard.

I even pull the foil off gently and replace the foil back on after.. it's almost impossible to tell.
Y.e.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by john stimson » November 10th, 2019, 4:53 pm

There was a long thread on this 2-3 years ago (too lazy to look for It), but there is apparently a law that covers this in a general sense, at least in many states. I always check ahead. Many restaurants will say "fine", a few will say "no". Most offer to decant your wines ahead if you will drop them off, but I personally don't trust most restaurants to do it properly, plus keep the wine at the proper temperature, plus I don't want to make 2 trips to the venue. Biggest problem is if you want to slow ox any wines. also, leaving the cork out for several hours allows it to swell and tough to sneak it back in.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jay Miller » November 10th, 2019, 5:12 pm

john stimson wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:53 pm
There was a long thread on this 2-3 years ago (too lazy to look for It), but there is apparently a law that covers this in a general sense, at least in many states. I always check ahead. Many restaurants will say "fine", a few will say "no". Most offer to decant your wines ahead if you will drop them off, but I personally don't trust most restaurants to do it properly, plus keep the wine at the proper temperature, plus I don't want to make 2 trips to the venue. Biggest problem is if you want to slow ox any wines. also, leaving the cork out for several hours allows it to swell and tough to sneak it back in.
Here you go, it also contains a link to a still earlier thread on the same topic

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123067&p=1910868&hi ... s#p1910868
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Alex N

#13 Post by Alex N » November 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm

I managed and worked in restaurants for years and always let that one slide with the restaurant's corkage fee policy applied. It would be very rare and unusual for the ABC to see and overhear and enforce that. I'd probably arrive with the bottle in a bag and work it out with the server at the table, ask for glassware, pay corkage, offer a taste.
@13x N1ch•!z

blarmston

#14 Post by blarmston » November 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I’ve done it dozens and dozens of times, never had an issue (knock on wood). If a restaurant ever denied me drinking the bottle, I would laugh, walk out, and never ever go back.
-Brian Armston

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mattstolz » November 10th, 2019, 5:48 pm

AAgrawal wrote:

I have had one or two situations like this, and both times the restaurant let it slide "this one time". Can't say I've gone back to either place. For what it's worth, I tried my best to look up and see whether this law exists and I can't find it. There are lots of policies about people leaving with open bottles, but nothing about coming with one.
you can basically use the ah-so in reverse to recork a wine if needed. not saying its easy but it should work

T Welch

#16 Post by T Welch » November 10th, 2019, 5:53 pm

If it were a state law I think an exception would have to be made for winery reps who arrive with opened bottles.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Philip N. Jones

#17 Post by Philip N. Jones » November 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Legal questions like this one are often debated from time to time on this listserv.
The answers vary from state to state, restaurant to restaurant, from manager to manager, from server to server, and from customer to customer. Of course, sone of those responses are correct, and some incorrect. Everyone seems to have an opinion on what the law is. Or should be.
Perhaps someone should call the state alcohol control people and ask to talk to someone who actually oversees restaurants. They ought to know. If that does not work, look at the state statutes. If that does not work, look at the regulations that the agency issues under the authority of the statutes. One way or the other, finding a real answer should not be too difficult. Sure beats speculation.
Phil Jones

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Nate Simon » November 10th, 2019, 6:18 pm

I’ve heard this “there’s a law” thing many times. Has anyone researched this? Is there really a law, in CA or any other state?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Kris Patten » November 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 6:18 pm
I’ve heard this “there’s a law” thing many times. Has anyone researched this? Is there really a law, in CA or any other state?
Nate, there is a law everywhere, it's called the open container law. As a rep, I used to put my wine bag with open samples in the trunk as you can be cited if it's in the car "within reach."
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Kris Patten » November 10th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Mark Y wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:37 pm
AAgrawal wrote:
Shove really hard.

I even pull the foil off gently and replace the foil back on after.. it's almost impossible to tell.
Just cut the foil all the way off. And be sure not to put the cork in with the side that was touching the wine, especially red, up.
ITB

Philip N. Jones

#21 Post by Philip N. Jones » November 10th, 2019, 6:42 pm

The open container law exists in every state. But that law has to do with driving with an open wine bottle in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. It has nothing to do with walking into a restaurant with an opened bottle.
If there is a law prohibiting carrying an opened bottle into a restaurant, fine. If there is no such law, fine. But let’s not speculate and opine. The original post was from Napa. Surely there are tons of California attorneys on this listserv who could do a little research and put an end to all the speculation and debate. Let’s skip the opinions and move on to the law. Or lack thereof.
Phil Jones

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Morris » November 10th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Philip N. Jones wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Legal questions like this one are often debated from time to time on this listserv.
The answers vary from state to state, restaurant to restaurant, from manager to manager, from server to server, and from customer to customer. Of course, sone of those responses are correct, and some incorrect. Everyone seems to have an opinion on what the law is. Or should be.
Perhaps someone should call the state alcohol control people and ask to talk to someone who actually oversees restaurants. They ought to know. If that does not work, look at the state statutes. If that does not work, look at the regulations that the agency issues under the authority of the statutes. One way or the other, finding a real answer should not be too difficult. Sure beats speculation.
Phil Jones
Greg Tatar and Andy Venebil did those things and reported back in posts #10 and #18 in the thread Jay linked to above. There doesn't seem to be any such law in California.
Nate Simon wrote:
See above.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Kris Patten » November 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Phil,

It's the same thing, I can't bring an open beer, sake, or bottle of Macallan into a bar/restaurant, the law doesn't look at a bottle of wine any differently.

This comes up every couple years going back to old Parker board.

It's a privilege that restaurants let you bring wine, respect it and be grateful you can, many countries you cannot, and be respectful when you "aerate" your wine prior, and make it as inconspicuous as possible.
ITB

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Randy Bowman » November 10th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I have only brought a pre-opened bottle to a restaurant one time. The Somm, who is a friend gave me the "you f*ckin kidding me?" look, opened the bottle and poured it in to a decanter without comment or acknowledgment of the producer/wine. Since then I choose a wine to bring that is not on their menu and will drink well with a half hour decant while we work through appetizers and salad.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Chris Seiber » November 10th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I do it all the time and I’ve never gotten any objection.

I doubt there is a law about that, and if there is one, it’s probably never been enforced in this context (aerated full bottle of fine wine) once in history.

Of course, restaurants and their employees will sometimes claim there to be a law when there isn’t one, either out of honest mistake or because they just want to deny you something. At that point, you just ask nicely for an accommodation, and then decide whether to come back or not.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by RichardFlack » November 10th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Jason T wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 3:40 pm
As Glenn does I’ll just stuff the cork back in. Also, opening with an ah-so helps keep the cork looking pris time. I’ve never had anyone say anything.
Typo of the year? (pris time)

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by RichardFlack » November 10th, 2019, 7:35 pm

In Ontario, which is not exactly under regulated (litotes), as I understand it the BYOW endorsement to the liquor licence specifically stipulates unopened bottles. ( This is distinct from the rules for automobiles where opened bottles may be carried but must be in the trunk).

My guess is it’s much the same in most US states.

I think they are paranoid we might slip some home brew in or wine that hasn’t passed through their far reaching grasp. Much of the inanity of the regulations has to do with preserving the KGBO monopoly on alcohol sales.

Philip N. Jones

#28 Post by Philip N. Jones » November 10th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Or maybe they are concerned that your wine bottle is filled with gin.

But none of this has anything at all to do with open container laws. Open container laws are motor vehicle laws. Walking into a restaurant on your own two feet has nothing to do with a motor vehicle. If there is a law restricting one’s ability to bring a previously opened bottle into a restaurant (and there seems to be some genuine doubt that such a law even exists), it does not involve a motor and it does not involve a vehicle.
Phil Jones

Carl I Steefel

#29 Post by Carl I Steefel » November 10th, 2019, 8:32 pm

My problem the first time was that it never occurred to me that this would be the policy. Given that my buddies and I had brought countless opened bottle into various restaurants. So I had already opened, and then could not drink it...

I doubt very much it is a State Law, and if there is one (there are speed limits on the freeways too, but almost everybody exceeds those speeds by 15 mph), most places ignore it. This place simply had that as a policy (the guy did not mention any law at all). Not expecting it, I was not prepared for the $200 I had now to spend on a (very young) wine off their list. And then drink a gorgeous wine later under less than favorable circumstances. Now that I know it could be an issue, I am prepared...

Tonight was OK as it turned out, the 2005 Raphet Charmes Chambertin actually showed a bit better out of the gate than it did later, as it shut down 2005 style. So opening in the restaurant was not a big problem, but one needs to remember to call ahead...

Nathan Smyth

#30 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm

In some states [such as New Jersey, and maybe Pennsylvania], restaurants are awarded their alcohol licenses by the Mafia, in cahoots with Mafia-owned politicians & Mafia-owned regulators.

There is tremendous competition amongst restaurants to purchase the goodwill necessary to receive an alcohol license, and the Havenots will do almost anything to sabotage the Haves, so as to knock a Have out of the way, open up an empty slot, and thereby move up the ladder and become a Have themselves.

Ergo if a Havenot restaurant hears through the grapevine that a Have restaurant is breaking the law by allowing customers to bring opened bottles to the [Have] restaurant, then the Havenot will make damned certain that the presiding ABC Officer learns about it no later than 9:00 the next morning.

In Mafia-controlled zones, the restaurants go to war over these licenses.

Ramon C

#31 Post by Ramon C » November 11th, 2019, 2:19 am

Note to self:
In CA, do not byo old/mature bottles that need several stand upright days to decant-out sediment.
@brera

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Chris Seiber » November 11th, 2019, 7:41 am

Nathan Smyth wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm
In some states [such as New Jersey, and maybe Pennsylvania], restaurants are awarded their alcohol licenses by the Mafia, in cahoots with Mafia-owned politicians & Mafia-owned regulators.

There is tremendous competition amongst restaurants to purchase the goodwill necessary to receive an alcohol license, and the Havenots will do almost anything to sabotage the Haves, so as to knock a Have out of the way, open up an empty slot, and thereby move up the ladder and become a Have themselves.

Ergo if a Havenot restaurant hears through the grapevine that a Have restaurant is breaking the law by allowing customers to bring opened bottles to the [Have] restaurant, then the Havenot will make damned certain that the presiding ABC Officer learns about it no later than 9:00 the next morning.

In Mafia-controlled zones, the restaurants go to war over these licenses.

Markus S

#33 Post by Markus S » November 11th, 2019, 8:11 am

Nate Simon wrote:
Oh you have no idea...
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#34 Post by Markus S » November 11th, 2019, 8:13 am

RichardFlack wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:35 pm
This is distinct from the rules for automobiles where opened bottles may be carried but must be in the trunk).
If you drive a hatchback, is that considered a "trunk"? Because it is, technically, open back there.
$ _ € ® e . k @

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by NickRut » November 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

I do this almost every time I bring wine to a restaurant. I completely remove the foil and just push the cork all the way back in. Nobody has ever questioned it
Rutkowski

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by RichardFlack » November 11th, 2019, 8:41 am

I’d guess not, technically. Never been stopped over this so can’t be sure but I suspect this is one of those things where the officer uses pretty wide discretion, and it would depend on why they stopped you etc. And is the bottle rolling around next to a corkscrew and some chips, or at the bottom of a bag. Etc. Thread is drifting, the OP was really about licensing regs and restaurant practices.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Nate Simon » November 11th, 2019, 9:02 am

Markus S wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:11 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Oh you have no idea...
What does that even mean?

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Alan Newman » November 11th, 2019, 9:03 am

NickRut wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:37 am
I do this almost every time I bring wine to a restaurant. I completely remove the foil and just push the cork all the way back in. Nobody has ever questioned it
I'm in Silicon Valley, do this all of the time, and have never had a problem.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Nate Simon » November 11th, 2019, 9:46 am

So, since this is the umpteenth thread on this topic in the past few years, and not one person has been able to cite an actual law that substantiates this urban myth, I’m going to assume that there is actually no law.
Furthermore, if you want to BYO, and the restaurant turns you away, walk away and take your money with you. Easy.

Carl I Steefel

#40 Post by Carl I Steefel » November 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

Nate Simon wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 9:46 am
So, since this is the umpteenth thread on this topic in the past few years, and not one person has been able to cite an actual law that substantiates this urban myth, I’m going to assume that there is actually no law.
Furthermore, if you want to BYO, and the restaurant turns you away, walk away and take your money with you. Easy.
My apologies for bringing this topic up, but I have not been on the Board for the last couple of years.

First place this happened, they had my credit card for a guaranteed reservation for 2, so I would have also been walking away from their credit card guarantee fee.

Here is a quote from the Mercury News (in San Jose), although the statement that bringing wine into a restaurant is "an unusual practice" does make me question whether they know what they are talking about:
While most restaurants do not allow the practice, there is no statutory provision prohibiting it, according to the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Admittedly, bringing wine to a restaurant is an unusual practice. ... Just wine.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Nate Simon » November 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

Agreed that if one intends on bringing wine and the restaurant has a nonrefundable deposit policy, best to check in advance.

Carl I Steefel

#42 Post by Carl I Steefel » November 11th, 2019, 10:37 am

Yep, I certainly do so now...

John Danza

#43 Post by John Danza » November 11th, 2019, 10:52 am

blarmston wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm
I’ve done it dozens and dozens of times, never had an issue (knock on wood). If a restaurant ever denied me drinking the bottle, I would laugh, walk out, and never ever go back.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm in Illinois and bring wine to restaurants 99% of the time I go to restaurants. The vast majority of the time I've opened it ahead of time to either make sure the wine's not corked or to double decant it so it's ready to go when I get there. I put a polymer stopper in, never the original cork. I've had absolutely no issues from any restaurant.

The guy who said he wouldn't allow it if he owned a restaurant needs to explain his thinking on that one. I do own a restaurant, and have no issue with it.

I mentioned that I use a polymer stopper instead of the original cork. I do this because I don't want to take a chance of introducing any cork taint after the fact. I've heard of it happening.
John Danza

Markus S

#44 Post by Markus S » November 11th, 2019, 11:05 am

Nate Simon wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 9:02 am
Markus S wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:11 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Oh you have no idea...
What does that even mean?
Meaning that there are laws for everything under the sun! We have one of the highest per capita of lawyers in the world, and laws keep everyone employed, so it doesn't surprise me.
$ _ € ® e . k @

GregT

#45 Post by GregT » November 11th, 2019, 11:52 am

Carl - that article is from 2013 or something like that and just like you, I was also wondering if they knew what they were talking about. They don't bother citing any statutes either. A few years ago there was a thread on Reddit or Chowhound or one of those types of boards and they got a reply from someone at the ABC who stated pretty much what was in that article. Of course, that wasn't official, but it seemed to indicate that there was nothing he could cite that spoke directly to the issue.

From talking to folks at the liquor control board, there is no prohibition on taking wine into a restaurant in CA. Nor is there any requirement that the restaurant allow it. And if they do allow it, they are entitled to charge corkage.

But there are a few additional issues. First, there is a prohibition against having open bottles around places that sell alcohol. They didn't want guys going into liquor stores and sitting out in front getting drunk. But that could be applied against you if you happen to be walking in the parking lot with a bottle that has been opened. It's a remote possibility, but it's out there.

Second, there is a new requirement in CA that requires every person who may serve alcohol to go through some training. They're supposed to learn about the dangers of alcohol, etc. That's a brand new law and people have another year or two to comply. No clue whether that would be applicable in any way if you come in with something already opened. It would be stupid to apply it somehow, but I suppose someone could find some way to do so.

Third, as mentioned, there is a liability issue. The dram shop laws hold the restaurant liable if you injure yourself or someone else after drinking there - this ties into the "education" mentioned above. There's no way to know what's in your bottle, so a restaurant may be nervous.

And as to whether you can take any unfinished portion back home, there really isn't anything. You are allowed to take home a bottle that you purchased there but it seems like nobody ever considered the possibility of bringing your own and taking some of it back home.

As to health regulations, I don't know. Not strictly relevant but CA rules allow restaurants to re-serve certain items that are packaged or in a narrow-neck container. That includes those little packages of crackers some places give you with soup, as well as containers of ketchup. And bottles of wine are specifically mentioned. Seems to indicate a bit of flexibility when it comes to sharing wine but I wouldn't stretch that one too much.

Basically it really seems like some common sense would be in order here. People who are likely to bring bottles to a restaurant are probably not filling the wine bottle with hard liquor. Nor are they likely to sit out front drinking and puking. I suppose there is a risk that someone could get sick or hurt and might try to tie it back to the wine brought in and blame the restaurant. But overall, seems like the restaurant can do as it chooses. There's one near me who won't charge corkage as long as the wine is at least 10 years old and the owner gets to try it. Seems pretty fair to me.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

JBucholz

#46 Post by JBucholz » November 11th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I've done this before in Oregon with absolutely no problem It didn't even dawn on me that someone would object.
J 1 m B u c h 0 l 2

John Danza

#47 Post by John Danza » November 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm

GregT wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 11:52 am
Second, there is a new requirement in CA that requires every person who may serve alcohol to go through some training. They're supposed to learn about the dangers of alcohol, etc. That's a brand new law and people have another year or two to comply. No clue whether that would be applicable in any way if you come in with something already opened. It would be stupid to apply it somehow, but I suppose someone could find some way to do so.
That reminds me of a BYOB restaurant in Chicago that wouldn't allow their people to touch the wine people brought in. They would set the glasses down and that would be the end of it. Frankly, that's perfect, as I always tell the wait staff that I'll pour my own wine. I don't want some heavy-handed waiter pouring a quarter of the bottle into each glass.
John Danza

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
LOL
23 DCMR § 717
D.C. Mun. Regs. Tit. 23, § 717
717. CORKING FEE.

717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on-premises retailer's license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Jay Miller » November 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
LOL
23 DCMR § 717
717. CORKING FEE.

717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on-premises retailer's license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.
But isn't that a Washington DC regulation? The original question in this thread and the two previous threads pertains to California.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 11th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
LOL
23 DCMR § 717
717. CORKING FEE.

But isn't that a Washington DC regulation? The original question in this thread and the two previous threads pertains to California.
Nate posted:
Granted, DC is a colony, not a state, but . . . .
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Return to “Wine Talk”