TN: Chateau Dauzac 1983

• 1983 Château Dauzac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (11/10/2019)
    Durand n’ pour-cork comes out whole.
    Relatively dark for its age; initially redder fruited, some forest floor, finish rather short. With air became more plummy, mineral, showing what I took to be a little more Margaux character, with a bit more of a sustained finish, including some nice mushroomy notes. Good balance; might have thought Pomerol and I suspect there is a fair amount of Merlot here. Not a mind (or palate) blowing wine, but lovely for what it is and its ability to so gracefully weather time. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting note, thanks Joshua! The first good Dauzac I can remember was the 1990 and the first and only excellent the 1999. Unfortunately, their 2001 was a disappointment.

The only one I’ve had is the 1995 which is atypically friendly for a 1995 Medoc. I believe the blend is 60% CS / 40% Merlot but my bottles have also shown very distinctive Merlot character.

Nice to see the old label again! Good to read that the 83 is still holding up well. I’ve always enjoyed Dauzac, of which the first I had was the 82, but I think my favourite surprisingly perhaps was the 98.

I’ll have to keep an eye out for a 98. It shouldn’t be too hard to find. I came by these by happenstance. Interesting that Rudi liked the 99 and Craig the '95–maybe there were doing something especially right in the late 90’s?