TN: 08 R.L.Heredia Rosado / 08 Dauvissat Forest / 14 Horsepower Grenache Sur Echalas @ RN74

• 2008 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (11/9/2019)
    The 09 was my first intro to this semi unicorn of a Rose, and while I liked that vintage a lot, this 08 seemed more like a complete package. Starts off with that most peculiar of colors for a table wine, light bronze with orange tints around the edges. Lovely interplay between dried strawberry and a peaty touch of a fine single malt scotch. Add a little cigar wrapper, and an ever so slightly nutty / sherry / oxidative trait make for a most idiosyncratic yet highly enjoyable experience. Exquisite with beef tartare at RN 74. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2008 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (11/9/2019)
    Whew…clean. A tad darker than I might have wished, but any concerns of pre-mox were quickly brushed aside. Agree with a lot of the notes here on CT that this was fairly rich, open, and inviting, lovely green apple-esque with citrus cut around the edges. Very good coverage and expansive mouth feel, and my last glass (bottle open for about 90 minutes and was decanted 45 min b4 serving) showed even more of a spine suggesting that perhaps this has quite a few more pages to turn before its full story has been told. (93 pts.)

• 2014 Horsepower Vineyards Grenache Sur Echalas Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (11/9/2019)
    Rico’s contribution. Decanted 90 minutes. While domestic grenache isn’t really my bag, including the Cayuse ‘God Only Knows’, this bottle was a total blast to share with good buddies. Pure, old school, take no prisoners Cayuse funk in full regalia yet while those earlier vintages could sometimes get a little over the top in this respect, this was extremely focused thanks to a mineral and earth streak that was perfectly proportionate to the wildness on display. A little ripe strawberry fruit makes a small concession to immediate appeal, but this should have a very long life ahead of it. Excellent. (95 pts.)

Nice notes Dale! I need to get my hands on some of the Horsepower wines.

Thanks John. I’ve had 4 or Horsepower wines, and all of them are very Northen Rhône-esque, with huge structure.

We’re those bought off list or brought in? I thought rn74 has a strict 2 btl per table policy?

The rosado sounds interesting!

Aha - I was unknowingly sitting next to you that evening, drinking a 2009 Calon Segur and wondering if you were on WB. Looks like you had a great evening.

Hi Geoff, ha yeah I was going to ask you how that 09 Calon was treating you (love me some Calon) and yes, this was the prefect pre-funk before we rolled off to see Peter Hook (New Order & Joy Division) at the Neptune. The staff at RN was terrific. Best Tuesday Night ever!

Gents,

Terrific night of wine and food. Geoff, if I would have known that was you sitting next to me, I certainly would have introduced myself and shook your hand. Hope the 09 Calon Segur was gangbusters! All three wines were as good as advertised and so fun to drink. Here are my thoughts:

08 R.L. Heredia Rosado – Gorgeous coppery color. Dried orange peel, peat, scotch, sherry, dehydrated strawberry, tobacco. Such a unique and interesting wine. Would love to slip it in a Rose lineup on Long island and watch the Hampton ladies freak the shit out! 93pts

08 Dauvissat La Forest – Just an exquisite bottle of Chablis. Dale and I each bought three of these at the same time about 10 years ago. Unfortunately for me, I drank all three within 6 months. Don’t get me wrong as they were screamin’ good then, but so happy this wine has matured and ended up so sophisticated and delicious. 94pts

14 Horsepower Grenache Sur Echalas – Decanted for roughly 90 minutes. I could smell this wine a foot from the glass. Insane aromatics that brought me back to early Cayuse wines. It was essentially a 1970’s Samuel L. Jackson saying, “Funk you, motherfunker!” Stone, earth, iron, sour cherry, strawberry. In other words, delightful! 95pts