TN: 2010 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive

2010 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (11/8/2019)
I had not touched a bottle of this wine for more than five years. Now I want to drink every bottle I have left. It’s in a gorgeous spot, with earthy, forest floor notes supplementing deep red fruit. There’s still a good bit of tannin (on release I found this wine to be too tough for enjoyment), but it’s only a little bit obtrusive on the finish. I don’t see a reason to try waiting out the tannin. There’s too much good stuff now.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’d roast a whole chicken every 2 or 3 weeks with root vegetables and drink one of these til they were gone or chickens were extinct.

Ironically-coincidentical, I just moved all of my Roilette from storage to home today, including some 09s. I had a WTF moment as well: 18 bottles of the Griffe de Marquis cuvees plus some extras in mags. I had no recollection. Time to drink more.

Thanks for the note, David.

Robert, I’d love to learn your impressions of the 2010 Griffe du Marquis. My last bottle had a strong band-aid
smell and flavor, the previous one, wet cardboard.

I loved every bottle of the ‘10 Cuvée Tardive that I had, though.

The lesson here I guess is to buy this wine in every vintage and be glad that some show well early (relatively). I should start following that advice. I only have vintages that will probably take a long time to hit peak drinking. The best vintages are so lovely on release, but with so much potential that I try to resist the temptation. I guess it’s kind of like Musar in that the vintages I don’t really like on release still turn out well, and a lot sooner than the ones I think are great from the start. This has to be one of the best values in the whole world of wine.

Happen to be doing a chicken on the rotisserie tomorrow, think I’m going for the 2013 Tardive.

Sounds like brett spoilage to me. I’ve only had the 2010 Griffe once, but liked it very much. While I assume brett can effect any wine, I’ve not had any systemic issues with Roilette and brett.

BTW, the last couple of glasses were delicious last night.

I’d try another vintage if you have it. It was pretty backwards a couple of weeks ago. However, please post if you do try it because maybe my bottle/palate was off. It was a long day and there were lots of other wines.

Thx for the tip…unfortunately, I only have 2014-2016 and the last time I tried both 2014 & 2015 earlier this year, they were quite closed. Maybe I’ll spin the 2016s, both regular Fleurie and Tardive.

Of course, now I’m thinking about other Beaujolais options…might have to crack a 2009 of something, seems like a good time to check in.