TN: 1999 Fattoria Poggio di Sotto Brunello di Montalcino

• 1999 Fattoria Poggio di Sotto Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/8/2019)
    A ruby core with bricking leading to a tawny meniscus. There’s a depth on the nose that leads with leather, tobacco, old church pew, dried red fruits. The palate leads with bright red fruit and into a long rustic finish. This is in such a lovely place now that I can’t imagine it getting any better. The tannin has softened, yet still provides enough structure and tension with the acidity that I can’t quite wrap my head around how it can be so silky and have this kind of tension. It’s really wild…if I had more of this, I’d have a very hard time keeping my hands off it. This may very well have been the best Brunello I’ve ever had, Extraordinary!! Tasting this now only gives me more resolve to hang onto the few bottles from other vintages that I do have…

Posted from CellarTracker

These are fantastic and the rosso is pretty special as well. It does seem like the Brunello really blossoms around the 20 year mark.

“Old church pew”

Good one!

Wow, that sounds incredible. I think I have to dig mine out of storage when I have a chance. This is good incentive to keep buying recent vintages. As impressive as the 2013 was when I tasted it, I don’t think I’ve ever had one that was ready to drink.

1999 is also a great vintage. This sounds excellent.

I’m not a Brunello fan but I do have a bottle of the 1995 PdS. Palmucci sold the winery so these bottles are all a historical testament to the family’s work. I also have a funny story about being in his house without him but that’s for another day…

There is no rush…but it was damn fine. This bottle has been at a 45 degree angle for about 4 months and had a solid hour in the decanter before I had dinner. If this is like this now, I can’t imagine when the 2001’s will be ready.