Any experience with Martin Estate wines?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any experience with Martin Estate wines?

#1 Post by P Intag » November 8th, 2019, 2:29 pm

So I picked up a lot of 6 bottles of 2006 Martin Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Collector's Reserve from the last Spectrum auction for about $19/bottle (after buyer's premium). I know the newer vintages (since 2012?) are under Aaron Pott, and now command $150+/bottle. There are very few notes on CT regarding any Martin Estate Cabs and there's little mention of this estate here on Berserkers. Does anyone have any insight on what the house style is/was and what I can expect? TIA
Paul

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Any experience with Martin Estate wines?

#2 Post by Andrew Demaree » November 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

My only experience was with the 2010 and the oak treatment was just way too heavy handed for me to enjoy it.

I hope your ‘06s show better.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by P Intag » November 10th, 2019, 7:06 am

Andrew Demaree wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm
My only experience was with the 2010 and the oak treatment was just way too heavy handed for me to enjoy it.

I hope your ‘06s show better.
Thanks Andrew. That is bad news - my palate falls into the very oak-intolerant end of the spectrum. Crap.
Paul

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 10th, 2019, 7:24 am

That price is certainly very right, but the 06 is the least delicious vintage of the 1/2 dozen I have tried over the years.

Wines lean towards old school Rutherford but don’t often lead with the dust. It’s a very interesting visit as Greg Martin made his wealth in antiquities and there are many on display at the old gravity winery he restored.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by P Intag » November 11th, 2019, 8:45 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 7:24 am
That price is certainly very right, but the 06 is the least delicious vintage of the 1/2 dozen I have tried over the years.

Wines lean towards old school Rutherford but don’t often lead with the dust. It’s a very interesting visit as Greg Martin made his wealth in antiquities and there are many on display at the old gravity winery he restored.
Thanks for the input. Maybe that's why there was no bidding up of this lot, though there is nothing in the CT notes to make the determination that 2006 is a lesser vintage. In any case, I'll be picking up the wines this week and will pop one this weekend for sure.
Paul

Return to “Wine Talk”