Deal or No Deal? 2001 VCC

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T. Williams

Deal or No Deal? 2001 VCC

#1 Post by T. Williams » November 8th, 2019, 10:08 am

I lucked my way into a bottle of 2001 Vieux Château Certan this week. I paid $119 which according to my internet sleuthing seems pretty good.

The question:

Stash it in the back of my cellar and forget about it for a decade.
Or
Drink up, life is too short and it isn’t a vintage-of-the-century vintage.

To add some more context, this is definitely the nicest Bdx I have ever purchased but is on par, price wise with many of the other birthday, holiday, etc... bottles in my cellar.
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Deal or No Deal? 2001 VCC

#2 Post by Craig G » November 8th, 2019, 10:15 am

I haven’t had this wine, but 2001s I’ve drunk have been very good though young. I think you could give it a good decant and drink it. It may well inspire you to pursue VCC or other great Bordeaux.

The Cellartracker notes sound great.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 8th, 2019, 10:17 am

I haven't had the VCC, but the 2001s have been delicious pretty much from the get-go and are drinking great right now. If I had the right occasion I would not hesitate to open it now but there is no rush. Jealous at the price; it's basically half the going rate
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Victor Hong

#4 Post by Victor Hong » November 8th, 2019, 10:22 am

Last edited by Victor Hong on November 8th, 2019, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#5 Post by Victor Hong » November 8th, 2019, 10:23 am

T. Williams wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:08 am
...Stash it in the back of my cellar and forget about it for a decade.... this is definitely the nicest Bdx I have ever purchased but is on par, price wise with many of the other birthday, holiday, etc... bottles in my cellar.
Major causal factor in Offsite Storage Syndrome.
WineHunter.

Rudi Finkler

#6 Post by Rudi Finkler » November 8th, 2019, 10:29 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:17 am
I haven't had the VCC, but the 2001s have been delicious pretty much from the get-go and are drinking great right now. If I had the right occasion I would not hesitate to open it now but there is no rush. Jealous at the price; it's basically half the going rate
nice price -indeed astonishing.
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile -

Markus S

#7 Post by Markus S » November 8th, 2019, 10:39 am

Excellent price. I'd drink it the next chance I got. (perhaps some lamb is in the forecast this week?)
$ _ € ® e . k @

Barry P

#8 Post by Barry P » November 8th, 2019, 11:07 am

OMG, back the truck up. Not a great vintage overall, but a very nice one for Pomerol. And VCC made a great wine that year. Decanter gave it 100 points, if you can believe it. Here is their tasting note:

"2001 was a vintage that very much suited Pomerol, and the Merlot here takes precedence over the Cabernet Franc, expanding sideways, juicy and smiling. This is a show stopper of a wine, from the very first moment that you pour it. Concentrated and powerful, it gathers pace through the palate with flavours of truffle, cinnamon, toasted almonds, rich plum and damson. The texture is of cashmere and silk, the fruit palate varied and balanced. You can open it now, but there's no rush, even at close to 18 years on."
--B@rry Per$hkØw

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mark Y » November 8th, 2019, 11:32 am

Why not drink 1 immediately to see if you like it.. and if you do, buy more asap?
Y.e.

T. Williams

#10 Post by T. Williams » November 8th, 2019, 11:41 am

I wish I could buy more! Unfortunately, it was the last bottle in the bin, so I don't know if I will get the opportunity to get more if I tried. The store did have some other interesting bottles from the late 90's / early 00's so another trip back is on the docket.

TW
Tim W.

Markus S

#11 Post by Markus S » November 8th, 2019, 11:45 am

T. Williams wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:41 am
I wish I could buy more! Unfortunately, it was the last bottle in the bin, so I don't know if I will get the opportunity to get more if I tried. The store did have some other interesting bottles from the late 90's / early 00's so another trip back is on the docket.

TW
I'm thinking this wasn't a state store...
$ _ € ® e . k @

T. Williams

#12 Post by T. Williams » November 8th, 2019, 11:48 am

Markus S wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
T. Williams wrote:

TW
I'm not at will to say... I wouldn't want someone coming into this thread and explaining how transporting alcohol across state lines might be cause for me to lose my professional license and force me into a life of rigorous manual labor. newhere
Tim W.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Sh@n A » November 8th, 2019, 11:54 am

Where is Golodetz!?

I had my first/only VCC (2006) a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I felt it was a bit too young, but still very much enjoyed it. I am on the look out for future bottles to procure at good prices...
/ @ g r @ \

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm

One of my favorite wines. Killer price. I’d not blink, pop it. Great stuff. If 2000, I’d say hold.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

M. Meer

#15 Post by M. Meer » November 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

If it's a bin end, I'd pop it sooner than later. Congrats on the find
Mar.kus

Rudi Finkler

#16 Post by Rudi Finkler » November 8th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Barry P wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:07 am
... Not a great vintage overall...
I couldn't disagree more. :-)
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile -

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Tom Reddick » November 8th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Very good deal- about half the current full retail rate and 40% less than auction. I am a huge fan of VCC, but I will also say that while I admire the current vintages it remains to be seen if the wines will ever develop the astonishingly complex and delicate aromatics of the great old vintages. 1990 is kind of that cutoff point for me- and the concern is more about the general blend shift than the winemaking itself. There is nothing remotely spoofy about the VCCs of today.

Whether to drink the 2001 right now is a tough call if you have only one bottle. It is drinking beautifully, but having had a number of older vintages back to 1945, I think a good deal more is possible. If this is something you would consider buying more of in future at current prices, then I say drink this bottle to see what you think. If not, I would lock it up for a decade. I make the distinction because over the past year a number of wines like this- meaning top chateaux from superb drinking vintages that are not volume driven- have become relatively rare in the marketplace. They just do not come along all that often unless you want to pay the really high price asked by the handful of WS vendors who have a bottle or two in stock. And so as I backfill a number of vintages like 01 and 08 when good deals come along at auction, I find I am being a bit more careful about opening them because replacing them is not as easy as it used to be. I like 2001 VCC very much, but I would personally not be a buyer at the $250ish current price tag. At $119, I would happily take a case if I found it at that price.

Here is my TN from CT if it helps. This TN was made at a bustling pre-auction tasting, so please forgive its brevity,

10/12/2018 - I like this wine: (Edit)

good purple color just starting to show signs of age, plums, cedar and cherries on the nose, racy herbal notes, on the palate a punchy tone ala 2006, lovely mid-weight wine, fine length, deceptively approachable- but a good long life ahead, it remains to be seen if vintages such as this will eventually deliver the intricate and digital terroir definition of vintages of old- but this is a very attractive and nicely balanced wine at the very least and should be quite wonderful in just a few years’ time. **(**), 2025-2040+.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Nathan Smyth

#18 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 8th, 2019, 11:14 pm

T. Williams wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:48 am
Markus S wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
T. Williams wrote:

TW
I'm not at will to say... I wouldn't want someone coming into this thread and explaining how transporting alcohol across state lines might be cause for me to lose my professional license and force me into a life of rigorous manual labor. newhere
Well you're certainly a quick learner, so you got that going for ya.

PS: Did this wine really get 100 points from Decanter? Or was that a joke?

Nathan Smyth

#19 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 8th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:40 pm
10/12/2018... good purple color...
With the proviso that I know nothing whatsoever about the topic at hand, if I were sipping on a 17yo wine with the pedigree of VCC, and if it were still showing purple synesthesia at that age, then I'd hide the rest of the bottles deep in the back of the cellar, to be revisited at the 34/51/68/85-year-marks.

LMD Ermitaño

#20 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 9th, 2019, 12:41 am

Good deal. Drinks well now; but no rush if you want to hold it for a special occasion.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 9th, 2019, 4:32 am

Sh@n A wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 11:54 am
Where is Golodetz!?

I had my first/only VCC (2006) a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I felt it was a bit too young, but still very much enjoyed it. I am on the look out for future bottles to procure at good prices...
Here I am. My last note on this was from 2016, as part of a Right Bank 2001 horizontal. I loved the wine, on a par with Cheval, and the best wine there.

The answer to your question is not about the wine, but your taste in general. The wine is in early maturity, a nice mix of fruit and just beginning to take on some of the tertiary aromatics that in time will replace the fruit with a leathery, mushroom, earthy mix. It is a long process, and the 1989 I had from magnum recently, was still more in the fruit area, but the complexity was far more apparent. Only you can determine which profile you prefer, and the wine has enough bottle age that there are no wrong answers here.
ITB

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by J.Vizuete » November 9th, 2019, 11:56 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:32 am
Sh@n A wrote:
Where is Golodetz!?

Here I am. My last note on this was from 2016, as part of a Right Bank 2001 horizontal. I loved the wine, on a par with Cheval, and the best wine there.

The answer to your question is not about the wine, but your taste in general. The wine is in early maturity, a nice mix of fruit and just beginning to take on some of the tertiary aromatics that in time will replace the fruit with a leathery, mushroom, earthy mix. It is a long process, and the 1989 I had from magnum recently, was still more in the fruit area, but the complexity was far more apparent. Only you can determine which profile you prefer, and the wine has enough bottle age that there are no wrong answers here.
Mark, not to thread drift too much, but how was the 89 showing for you? I have a single 750mL bottle coming and am not necessarily asking for drink dates but rather what to expect from a sound bottle. An 86 last January had softened nicely for that vintage, but I found it fairly classic and neither particularly punchy or exotic as far as fruit goes. Kind of down the fairway actually.
John V.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm

John,
The magnum was beautiful, as was a bottle about three years ago. It is at perfect maturity, and should be lovely. Not surprised by your 1986 experience; based on a 1986 Lafleur and La Conseillante, the Pomerols are not pretty wines, but as you say do their job.
ITB

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J.Vizuete » November 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm
John,
The magnum was beautiful, as was a bottle about three years ago. It is at perfect maturity, and should be lovely. Not surprised by your 1986 experience; based on a 1986 Lafleur and La Conseillante, the Pomerols are not pretty wines, but as you say do their job.
Thanks very much, I’ll be sure to post a note here when I open it (sometime in the next year).
John V.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Howard Cooper » November 9th, 2019, 1:48 pm

T. Williams wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:08 am
I lucked my way into a bottle of 2001 Vieux Château Certan this week. I paid $119 which according to my internet sleuthing seems pretty good.

The question:

Stash it in the back of my cellar and forget about it for a decade.
Or
Drink up, life is too short and it isn’t a vintage-of-the-century vintage.

To add some more context, this is definitely the nicest Bdx I have ever purchased but is on par, price wise with many of the other birthday, holiday, etc... bottles in my cellar.
If you have not had much Bordeaux (or even much Pomerol), I would drink it to learn whether you want to buy more expensive Bordeauxs.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 9th, 2019, 1:54 pm

If T doesn’t like this, he may be better of with PDQ chicken, Klondike bars and Ovid! Scandalous.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jayson Cohen

#27 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 10th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:32 am
Sh@n A wrote:
Where is Golodetz!?

Now I don’t have to chime in. [cheers.gif]

But I think you should pop it and try. It was a good price. And you can always get more VCC and will want to if you like it. Generally for my taste you will not find a better wine overall on the Right Bank still selling for under $200 a bottle for good vintages than VCC. I love it. And damn do they have a great track record for aging.

Return to “Wine Talk”