2014 Marguet Les Saint Remys Grand Cru brut nature

I really enjoy Marguets Grand Cru Ambonnay vineyard bottlings. In 2014 they are crazy good.
Saint Remys is a bit less expressive than Crayeres but it has wonderful depth and freshness
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nD2TyHd6L/?igshid=1fezp6dblp77

Clauss,

Its Marguet. Enough Said.

Eloquently put, Subu

Thanks for the comments, Claus. I bought about 2 cases total of the 2014s, with some of it arriving last week and now in my cellar. I’m going to start trying the 2014 range over the next few weeks and see how they are showing.

The 2014 is a magical vintage IMO

I pulled and opened the 2014 Saint Remys tonight, and have plenty left for Monday evening so if there is someone else out in Berserker land who wants to join me, open a bottle and post a note with me, I’d dig that. Subu? Claus for a repeat? I’ll post my own note tomorrow night back here.

Paging Claus, paging Claus…

• 2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Saints Remys - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/3/2020)
    Looks like I am first again into the CT pool. Oh goodie. Only 2400 bottles made, and I ended up with 6 of them due to a snafu with my order so my hope was that I would enjoy this cuvee, what I believe was the first vintage for it by Benoit Marguet. 100% Pinot Noir, disgorged February 2019, zero dosage and also a tirage date of June 2015. This plot, at least of the single site wines from the range, sits well up the slope above the village which differs from the rest of the range that is more closely arrayed around the village. I opened this last night and thought the wine was a bit austere, which for me has been the case with some of the 2014 Marguet, like Crayeres and Le Parc, which both seemed to be helped by air time. This is no different, as the air helped it unwrap but I have to add that this vintage overall to me seems more coiled than say 2012 as a comparators. The wine is showing a distinct saline note, with some green apple and lime and not a lot of breadth. My belief is that the wine is shut down, at least for my palate. Worth noting I am drinking the wine singly, with the space to study it and alongside some cheese and crackers–in sum, a pretty dialed in setting. So, take my note here for what it’s worth. I may open another in 3 months to check in again so we’ll see. Next up I’ll do the 2014 Ambonnnay Rose and see if that has the same structure as some of the other single plot cuvees.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m waiting on my bottle to try (Marguet is a new producer for me). Hoping it is more open by the time I get it and open it!

Great notes and impressions. Following is my CT TN from the holidays. I tasted through a lot of grower champagnes last year- far more than ever before- and the 2014 Marguet Les Saint Remys was a real standout.

2014 Marguet Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut Nature Les Saints Remys

bright young champagne color, immediately on opening a rich nose of baked bread, white flowers and orchard fruits, on the palate full bodied with great depth- where Blanc de Noir champagnes sometimes have a good assertive and persistent flavor but are a bit lean, this has a rich full body to complement the flavor profile, with time on the palate a light raspberry note develops along with rich layers of pastry and fruit, fine mousse starting to emerge, long lemony acid driven finish, debut vintage for this cuvee, sensationally good and with great potential.

(****)+, 2025-2045

If I may, for those on the lookout for great grower champagnes there is one other that impressed me to a similar degree as the wine above- 2015 Adrien Renoir Grand Cru Les Epinettes. Note on CT.

Tom, for sure in the bottle I am chronicling above, there isn’t rich layers nor a rich full body. And I drink a lot of grower bubbly, most all of it EB or Natural and I just don’t find the wine the way you did. I have one glass left for tonight, which I will open, let it air and finish it as it crosses temp up through room temp. I dig Marguet, and think the 2012s are exceptional but I am seeing a theme here in the 2014s so far, and they are not up to the level of 2012.

Frank
I wish it was me who had 5 of these in my cellar
It is still a bit less expressive than the Crayeres but:

Marguet is Marguet

Claus, I am going to have some faith here but I’ve had 4 or 5 bottles of 2014 Marie Courtin Resonance in the past several months, which is 100% PN, no dose and yet that wine is showing lots of cool character and stuffing. I simply don’t find it yet in the Marguet, although I do think the Crayerers is the best of the trio so far.