Louis Roederer Brut Nature Starck - new vintage out in regular and rose

I was checking the wines being poured at La Fete tomorrow and while I was disappointed to see that Roederer won’t be pouring Cristal I was beyond excited to see that they are pouring a 2012 Starck Brut Nature Rose! A quick trip to wine-searcher showed that it is not yet available in the US but along with the regular 2012 Brut Nature (also not available in the US) is for sale in Europe. Only a very few locations so I assume it was only recently released.

Wish they were pouring the latter as well (they are pouring the regular 2009 again) but the Roederer table just moved to one of my first visits. I will be sure to report back.

Jay, the 2009 Starck was a really nice surprise for me last year and I snagged a few bottles afterwards. Disappointing to be denied the Cristal, probably my favorite headliner.

RT

I skipped it last year since I already knew how much I liked it and needed to limit my tasting even more than usual due to jet lag. I have a very slight preference for the 2006 which I had tried at an earlier La Fete but both are really good.

I’ll be fascinated to see how their biodynamic/brut nature style does in a rose, not to mention in 2012.

Yes, the 2009 Starck is a really good wine. Relative to the overall pricing of Champagne, it represents good value at $75 or so (at least I think that’s about what I paid for it).

A friend of mine brought the '09 to my annual Flyertalk wine dinner at North Square in NYC. I really enjoyed this Champagne. Jay, do you think this is less costly in London? I’m headed there in the spring.

dh

It is but the US price on the 2009 seems to have come down so I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I see a store in NJ selling it for $70 and even Flatiron (where I paid over $90 for it on release) has it for $77.

IIRC I paid about $65 for the 2006 at Astor on release.

Lowest price in London for both the 2009 and 2012 seems to be $67. Lowest London price for the 2012 Rose is $77-80. I regard these as great values given the quality of the wine. Expected quality with regards to the 2012 but I’ll know for sure in about 26 hours…

Thanks Jay.

I am also excited for the 2012 Roederer Stark Rose

I agree, my wife and I drink the 2009 here and there and find it delicious and of good value!

It’s good enough that I would recommend people seek it out and give it an audition!

We first found it a ways back at Tiburon Wine, with Dr. Champagne offering it by the glass! Just wonderful and worth saying hello there if you are in the Bay Area.

I have found this a little lean and acidic.

Probably why I like it. champagne.gif

Kind of an AFWE sparkler.

I love person to person variability! [cheers.gif]

Yeah it is drastically different than the 09 cristal.

Is there a reason it would be similar?

The 2012 Stark Brut Nature wines are the best yet in the series (better than the 2006 and 2009) and, for 2012, the Rose is a step ahead of the Blanc in my book. A really, really nice wine. This pair isn’t as good as the 2012 Cristal Duo, but it is not supposed to be. The Brut Natures are fun and complex wines that wear their lack of dosage extremely well.