TN: 2016 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano

Some may see a bottle of wine from this region, and, seeing its price point, make the safe pivot into Chianti Classico - that could be unfortunate, as this wine, like several others from the area, is just lovely. In no way do I disparage CC, rather I suggest this (mostly) little known area.

After only 30 minutes, this brings forth a deep well of red fruits, there’s more tangible fruit in the body, and some hidden, and special complexity begins to emerge.

I mostly sat and shook my head, as this continued to add genuine interest with each and every taste. If it had lasted beyond 2 hours, it probably would have continued to develop in a totally positive way, which is to say I’ll be grabbing a few more tomorrow.

For those that have never had a MdS, I strongly recommend this Moris Farms (that I picked up the other day at the COOP in Greve in Chianti, for a song), and some others, too. 13,5% abv., diam3 closure.

That wine has been a perennial over-performer for at least thirty years. They must make oceans of the stuff, but it really isn’t a bad wine and for large gatherings where you’ll have a mix of people, it’s a great choice. We used to pick it up quite often.

Thanks for the note Tim. I will try to find some for the holidays. Hope the rest of your trip is great.

Cheers,

T

Always wondered how an Italian winery came up with such an American sounding name?

Tim,

This is a great under the radar producer. I remember the first time I tasted the '97 Avoltare from them. It seemed to shift to a bit more modern with the 2009 vintage.

I concur— the 16 is outstanding.

Morris is Welsh, actually. But it’s related to Maurice and Moritz, and I’ve seen Moris elsewhere in Italy, e.g. a cheese shop in Alba.