TN: 2016 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tim Heaton

TN: 2016 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano

#1 Post by Tim Heaton » November 7th, 2019, 11:32 am

Some may see a bottle of wine from this region, and, seeing its price point, make the safe pivot into Chianti Classico - that could be unfortunate, as this wine, like several others from the area, is just lovely. In no way do I disparage CC, rather I suggest this (mostly) little known area.

After only 30 minutes, this brings forth a deep well of red fruits, there's more tangible fruit in the body, and some hidden, and special complexity begins to emerge.

I mostly sat and shook my head, as this continued to add genuine interest with each and every taste. If it had lasted beyond 2 hours, it probably would have continued to develop in a totally positive way, which is to say I'll be grabbing a few more tomorrow.

For those that have never had a MdS, I strongly recommend this Moris Farms (that I picked up the other day at the COOP in Greve in Chianti, for a song), and some others, too. 13,5% abv., diam3 closure.
ITB, www.italianwinereviews.com
CT: Tim Heaton

GregT

Re: TN: 2016 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano

#2 Post by GregT » November 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm

That wine has been a perennial over-performer for at least thirty years. They must make oceans of the stuff, but it really isn't a bad wine and for large gatherings where you'll have a mix of people, it's a great choice. We used to pick it up quite often.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Todd Tucker » November 7th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Thanks for the note Tim. I will try to find some for the holidays. Hope the rest of your trip is great.

Cheers,

T

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » November 8th, 2019, 9:45 am

Always wondered how an Italian winery came up with such an American sounding name?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Kirk.Grant » November 8th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Tim Heaton wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 11:32 am
Some may see a bottle of wine from this region, and, seeing its price point, make the safe pivot into Chianti Classico - that could be unfortunate, as this wine, like several others from the area, is just lovely. In no way do I disparage CC, rather I suggest this (mostly) little known area.

After only 30 minutes, this brings forth a deep well of red fruits, there's more tangible fruit in the body, and some hidden, and special complexity begins to emerge.

I mostly sat and shook my head, as this continued to add genuine interest with each and every taste. If it had lasted beyond 2 hours, it probably would have continued to develop in a totally positive way, which is to say I'll be grabbing a few more tomorrow.

For those that have never had a MdS, I strongly recommend this Moris Farms (that I picked up the other day at the COOP in Greve in Chianti, for a song), and some others, too. 13,5% abv., diam3 closure.
Tim,

This is a great under the radar producer. I remember the first time I tasted the '97 Avoltare from them. It seemed to shift to a bit more modern with the 2009 vintage.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Morris » November 9th, 2019, 4:08 pm

I concur— the 16 is outstanding.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Morris » November 9th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Markus S wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:45 am
Always wondered how an Italian winery came up with such an American sounding name?
Morris is Welsh, actually. But it’s related to Maurice and Moritz, and I’ve seen Moris elsewhere in Italy, e.g. a cheese shop in Alba.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Return to “Wine Talk”