TN: 2012 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos des Folatières

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2012 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos des Folatières

#1 Post by dcornutt » November 6th, 2019, 4:14 pm

• 2012 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos des Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (11/6/2019)
    This wine is stunning right now. Light yellow color. Beautiful focused golden fruit. The acid has finally taken a step forward as the fruit has receded. The nose is white burgundy. Mineral finish. I LOVE Pernot. This is a wine on the way up. Fabulous!
Posted from CellarTracker

This one has really taken a step forward in the last few years. Flabby in youth now beautifully taught and sexy.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2012 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos des Folatières

#2 Post by Mike Grammer » November 7th, 2019, 5:55 am

Really good to see this note, Don, on the heels of Buzz' note on the 14 Villages. Very cool and interesting that it is showing so well/its best at this 7 year mark. I have always liked most 12 whites even if they don't have quite the hype and cut of the 14s.

Salud,

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2012 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos des Folatières

#3 Post by Joshua Kates » November 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

I've also found this with Pernot, and with his Folatieres in particular. Does not show so well in youth--also a bit oaky, if I recall--but when it comes round, it can be truly stunning. I only have a couple of bottles of the '11 left. I may have to source more from this period.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#4 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 7th, 2019, 9:03 am

Nice note Don. I've been finding a lot to like about Pernot's recent Bourgogne Blancs and Puligny Villages.

RT

John Ammons

#5 Post by John Ammons » November 7th, 2019, 9:37 am

Don - did you find the wine more evolved than you'd expected? I think the 2012 Pernots, while they can still be good, are in the "drink them up" category.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by dcornutt » November 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

John.
To me it was still very young appearing. Not advanced. The aromatics are starting to really come around. FWIW.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 7th, 2019, 7:06 pm

With my very limited experience, I find '12 a fine to great vintage for white Burgundy, assuming no premox. Stern, firm, balanced and classic, it reminds me a little of '95.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”