Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 139
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#1 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am

Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16768
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#2 Post by Howard Cooper » November 6th, 2019, 4:59 am

I would only buy Leoville Poyferre if you like super rich, very modern styled Bordeaux. Very different in style from Grand Puy Lacoste.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33761
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 6th, 2019, 5:03 am

Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Sort of an open-ended question, and I have no idea what is available in the UK or the prices. As for the two wines listed, the GPL is likely to please if you lean towards a traditional style, and the Leo P if you like the so-called "modern" profile. For me, both wines are almost certain to benefit from lots more time in the cellar, so I am not sure how suitable they are if you are looking for something to drink.

More generally, and if you are looking to consume now, I'd look for wines in the 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2004 vintages, and for much older wines, for 83 and 85. Recommending specific wines won't help much because availability is going to be scattershot
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 139
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#4 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 5:07 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:03 am
Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Sort of an open-ended question, and I have no idea what is available in the UK or the prices. As for the two wines listed, the GPL is likely to please if you lean towards a traditional style, and the Leo P if you like the so-called "modern" profile. For me, both wines are almost certain to benefit from lots more time in the cellar, so I am not sure how suitable they are if you are looking for something to drink.

More generally, and if you are looking to consume now, I'd look for wines in the 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2004 vintages, and for much older wines, for 83 and 85. Recommending specific wines won't help much because availability is going to be scattershot
Thanks Neal. Open ended is a matter of perspective :) Eg asking for a wine recommendation for <$100 would be open ended.

Anyway I appreciate your point that not many people will have access to UK prices. I said UK prices only because I find back vintages a lot easier to procure in the UK with a reliable pricing.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33761
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#5 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 6th, 2019, 5:15 am

The only reds I buy these days are ready-to-drink bdx (and infrequently burgs) so the kind of wines you are talking about. And I have no way of directing you to specific wines because it is a matter of paying attention to offers and striking when you see something good. They pop up every now and then, but specific wines pop up at value prices so infrequently that naming specific wines is not really possible.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21291
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 6th, 2019, 5:20 am

Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Neither of two wines appear available in the US for under $100, best price I saw was $125.

GPL would be an excellent choice, however.

Neal’s recommendation of 2001 and 2004 is solid, I just grabbed some 2004 Haut Bailly for $60. 2008 may be a solid grab as well. Haut Bailly is excellent in 2008.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33761
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#7 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 6th, 2019, 5:38 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:20 am
Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Neither of two wines appear available in the US for under $100, best price I saw was $125.

GPL would be an excellent choice, however.

Neal’s recommendation of 2001 and 2004 is solid, I just grabbed some 2004 Haut Bailly for $60. 2008 may be a solid grab as well. Haut Bailly is excellent in 2008.
I'd have been all over that 04 HB!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

YLee
Posts: 1255
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#8 Post by YLee » November 6th, 2019, 5:53 am

Damn. I want some $60 haut bailly
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 139
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#9 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 6:35 am

I am getting 2004 Haut Bailly for $65 in the UK and 2008 for $85.

Lowest US price is $80 and $100 respectively.

Given the shipping cost and uncertainty on tax, it’s not enough difference to import.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16768
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#10 Post by Howard Cooper » November 6th, 2019, 6:37 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:03 am
Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Sort of an open-ended question, and I have no idea what is available in the UK or the prices. As for the two wines listed, the GPL is likely to please if you lean towards a traditional style, and the Leo P if you like the so-called "modern" profile. For me, both wines are almost certain to benefit from lots more time in the cellar, so I am not sure how suitable they are if you are looking for something to drink.

More generally, and if you are looking to consume now, I'd look for wines in the 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2004 vintages, and for much older wines, for 83 and 85. Recommending specific wines won't help much because availability is going to be scattershot
Thinking of vintages, I would also look for 1996s from the Medoc.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1913
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#11 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 6th, 2019, 6:53 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:38 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:20 am
Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:56 am
Friends, would love to stock up on some aged Bordeaux that’s not super expensive.

Key criteria being
1 10-20 years of bottle age
2. UK 12 bottle case price of < $1200

I am aware of the 25% duty and willing to wait it out.

So far the best two options I have come up with are

2005 Grand Puy Lacoste
2005 Leoville Poyferre

Any other suggestions would be great.
Neither of two wines appear available in the US for under $100, best price I saw was $125.

GPL would be an excellent choice, however.

Neal’s recommendation of 2001 and 2004 is solid, I just grabbed some 2004 Haut Bailly for $60. 2008 may be a solid grab as well. Haut Bailly is excellent in 2008.
I'd have been all over that 04 HB!
I’ve seen it too. Cellar release?

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1913
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#12 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 6th, 2019, 6:56 am

Still not clear to me if you want current drinking only or drink and cellar or only to cellar. Citing 2005 wines suggests only to cellar.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5106
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#13 Post by Doug Schulman » November 6th, 2019, 7:03 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:03 am
More generally, and if you are looking to consume now, I'd look for wines in the 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2004 vintages, and for much older wines, for 83 and 85. Recommending specific wines won't help much because availability is going to be scattershot
I agree. Good 2005s need time. I have no experience with 2002, but I've had several wines from each of the other vintages Neal mentions that have been in a good place in the past couple of years. A lot of back vintage Bordeaux gets sold in the US. You don't have to buy in the UK.
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
John J
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 208
Joined: November 19th, 2015, 5:02 am
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#14 Post by John J » November 6th, 2019, 7:21 am

Socciando Mallet?
J. Johnson

User avatar
Mike Reff
Posts: 1117
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 2:51 am
Location: Westchester, NY

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#15 Post by Mike Reff » November 6th, 2019, 7:37 am

Cantemerle?
Last edited by Mike Reff on November 7th, 2019, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#16 Post by AAgrawal » November 6th, 2019, 7:38 am

I've had '96 Lagrange multiple times over the past 2 years and it has been exactly what I look for in high quality fully mature Bordeaux. I also had a 2000 Clerc Milon which was excellent now but will also age for a bit longer. Both of these are available ~$100 in the US, potentially less if you search/wait for auction.

Lots of lovely bordeaux < $100 that is fully mature. I would encourage looking for older bottles (ie: Not 2005) if you're looking to try them anytime in the next few years.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

User avatar
Alex Frank
Posts: 16
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 11:55 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#17 Post by Alex Frank » November 6th, 2019, 8:30 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:03 am
More generally, and if you are looking to consume now, I'd look for wines in the 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2004 vintages, and for much older wines, for 83 and 85.

I second this. I've recently enjoyed a '01 GPL and an '02 Pontet Canet, both were drinking beautifully (especially the GPL) and were $100 or less including auction premiums.

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 139
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#18 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 8:36 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 6:56 am
Still not clear to me if you want current drinking only or drink and cellar or only to cellar. Citing 2005 wines suggests only to cellar.
Drink and cellar. But cellaring is really for the short term (< 5 years). So ideally something that’s drinking well and becomes even better with some more age.

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 371
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#19 Post by J.Vizuete » November 6th, 2019, 8:45 am

10-20 years of bottle age to me implies intent to buy and wait or has a palate preference for younger BDX. In that vein, 05 Poyferre may not be a bad call. My own perspective when backfilling is to look for slightly more mature wines (I'm in to 89-90s, and 95/96) that I plan to drink in the next year or two, but to the OP:

Strong second on Haut Bailly. '98 was also a good vintage, slightly beyond the given age range
Don't count out Ch. Issan, which is incredibly ageworthy. Even great vintages can be found for <$100 ('85, '89, '90, '00, '05)
2004 Pontet Canet the other night was drinking very, very well, seems to auction around $80
Board wisdom would suggest Meyney, Sociando, Cantemerle.
"Off" vintages of Montrose age very well, and I've had good experience with Calon Segur (pushing it price-wise). I would search for 2001 and 2004, and broaden to 95 (right) 96 (left) and 98 (both)
Last edited by J.Vizuete on November 6th, 2019, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
John V.

User avatar
Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 437
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#20 Post by Hank Victor » November 6th, 2019, 8:45 am

Dinesh are you located in the USA or UK?
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 430
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#21 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 6th, 2019, 8:55 am

Mike Reff wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Catemerle?
This was my first thought as well. Shocked that Alf didn't mention it!

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21291
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#22 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 6th, 2019, 8:59 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:55 am
Mike Reff wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Catemerle?
This was my first thought as well. Shocked that Alf didn't mention it!

LOL. I’m like a broken record. Woulda mentioned Sociando as well, but some DC hot shot lawyer doesn’t like it and finds it atypical. [snort.gif]

PS. Cantemerle 2000 is quite nice but 2009 and 2010 another notch above. Was not thrilled with 2005.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Rudi Finkler
Posts: 662
Joined: May 31st, 2009, 5:43 am
Location: Saarland, Germany

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#23 Post by Rudi Finkler » November 6th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hank Victor wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:45 am
Dinesh are you located in the USA or UK?
viewtopic.php?t=154124
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile -

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6217
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#24 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 6th, 2019, 10:04 am

Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 6:35 am
I am getting 2004 Haut Bailly for $65 in the UK and 2008 for $85.

Lowest US price is $80 and $100 respectively.

Given the shipping cost and uncertainty on tax, it’s not enough difference to import.
The Haut Bailly 2008 is one of the wines of the vintage. Hits the criteria, and from bottle , at the very beginning of maturity
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Dinesh Goyal
Posts: 139
Joined: September 11th, 2018, 3:01 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#25 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 10:10 am

Hank Victor wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:45 am
Dinesh are you located in the USA or UK?
US but I do often procure in the UK, particularly for back vintages.

User avatar
Michael Manix
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 399
Joined: January 14th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#26 Post by Michael Manix » November 6th, 2019, 10:35 am

I had a 2005 Brane-Cantenac the other night which was really nice. Mid-weight, proper claret. Should drink well over the next decade. Case price in UK is less than $1,000 USD.

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1118
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#27 Post by RichardFlack » November 6th, 2019, 10:43 am

Batailley in Paulliac is affordable and needs time.

User avatar
Ross W
Posts: 478
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 1:57 pm
Location: Westchester NY

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#28 Post by Ross W » November 6th, 2019, 12:14 pm

For me, almost any vintage of Socciando Mallet (as someone else already mentioned), Chasse Spleen or Clos Labroy (89 or 90). All three are relative bargains in the expense world of Bordeaux and can all be had for sub $100.
Ross Weissman

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: Harpswell, Maine

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#29 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 6th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Why are you buying in London? Especially now... you say you'll wait out the tariffs, but that could be two days or two decades.

Lanessan 1990, 1996, 2000 and 2005 are all available stateside for half the price you are willing to pay. The 1990 was fabulous earlier this year.

Sociando Mallet is another good suggestion. Haut-Marbuzet is surprisingly hard to find, but Lafon-Rochet is not. Boyd-Cantenac. Batailley. And don't get me started on the other side of the river.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14671
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#30 Post by Craig G » November 6th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:59 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:55 am
Mike Reff wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Catemerle?
This was my first thought as well. Shocked that Alf didn't mention it!

LOL. I’m like a broken record. Woulda mentioned Sociando as well, but some DC hot shot lawyer doesn’t like it and finds it atypical. [snort.gif]

PS. Cantemerle 2000 is quite nice but 2009 and 2010 another notch above. Was not thrilled with 2005.
If willing to go a bit older, the 1996 is great and drinks perfectly.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 208
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#31 Post by Colin Haggerty » November 6th, 2019, 4:33 pm

The 2010 Cantemerle is an amazing value. We recently had a bottle in London. If you fast-forward to 9/18/2019, you will see what I thought of it. [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

PCLIN
Posts: 1353
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#32 Post by PCLIN » November 6th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Mike Reff wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Catemerle?

Definitely. Recently I picked up a case of ‘66 Cantemerle for a cool £340/case...that should be less than US$50 a bottle including all charges.
Chiu Lin

Doug Uno
Posts: 102
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#33 Post by Doug Uno » November 6th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Where do you guys buy these older wines from?

Thanks for your help.🙂

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21291
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 7th, 2019, 4:25 am

Colin Haggerty wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:33 pm
The 2010 Cantemerle is an amazing value. We recently had a bottle in London. If you fast-forward to 9/18/2019, you will see what I thought of it. [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

Wow, fantastic trip! Sign me up for that entire itinerary. Thanks for sharing all the pics, even if I did feel like a happy voyeur! And I concur, that 2010 is fantastic.

[cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2969
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#35 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 7th, 2019, 5:45 am

DDC?

YLee
Posts: 1255
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#36 Post by YLee » November 7th, 2019, 7:39 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 5:45 am
DDC?
+1
Although it doesnt get much love on this board, I think it's a great wine.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33761
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#37 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

YLee wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 7:39 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 5:45 am
DDC?
+1
Although it doesnt get much love on this board, I think it's a great wine.
Hmmmm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164759
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 208
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#38 Post by Colin Haggerty » November 7th, 2019, 8:17 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 4:25 am
Colin Haggerty wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:33 pm
The 2010 Cantemerle is an amazing value. We recently had a bottle in London. If you fast-forward to 9/18/2019, you will see what I thought of it. [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

Wow, fantastic trip! Sign me up for that entire itinerary. Thanks for sharing all the pics, even if I did feel like a happy voyeur! And I concur, that 2010 is fantastic.

[cheers.gif]
Thanks Robert. [thankyou.gif] I was self-employed for many years, making travel difficult. We are now trying to make up for lost time.

Colin

YLee
Posts: 1255
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#39 Post by YLee » November 7th, 2019, 8:24 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 7:44 am
YLee wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 7:39 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 5:45 am
DDC?
+1
Although it doesnt get much love on this board, I think it's a great wine.
Hmmmm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164759
There are other threads where many didnt like DDC post 1990s.
-¥ 0 ñ 9


User avatar
Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 882
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 6:14 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#41 Post by Dustin Buchko » November 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm

2005 d'Issan

PCLIN
Posts: 1353
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#42 Post by PCLIN » November 8th, 2019, 4:08 am

Dustin Buchko wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm
2005 d'Issan

Love that wine.
Chiu Lin

User avatar
Marcu$ Stanley
Posts: 1091
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 3:31 pm

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#43 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » November 8th, 2019, 9:16 am

There are so many great Bordeaux that can be backfilled for under $100.

If you are looking to minimize your expenditure while getting a really good wine there are lots of good suggestions here. But honestly, if you are looking to maximize your wine value for under $100/bottle then the two wines you suggested in the OP, the 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste and 2005 Leoville Poyferre, are excellent choices. They are both great wines, although in very different styles (the LP more modern and flashy, the GPL very classic). I don't know that you can do better than those two for under $100. In fact neither is available in the US for that price, so if you can actually get them for under $100 with good provenance I would just grab them.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13972
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#44 Post by Jay Miller » November 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

Speaking of GPL I often see case auction pricing on the 1995 or 1996 at around $1000 or so. I'm still working on a case of the 1995 I bought some years back and have been very happy and look forward to following its future development.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1109
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#45 Post by Leonard Maran » November 8th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Benchmark has a 1.5, magnum of the 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste for $224.00
Last edited by Leonard Maran on November 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: Harpswell, Maine

Re: Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

#46 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 8th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Haven't read the thread links, but I've been buying and loving Domaine de Chevalier for many decades. Thinking hard about cracking the first bottle of my case of 2005 as it is now getting cool here in Maine.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”