TN: 2014 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet

• 2014 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (11/5/2019)
    Shimmering yellow, green tinge color…nose of white peach, lemon curd, canned pears, chalk dust. In the mouth showing riper candied fruit, and less 14 cut than I thought it would. The right temp is very key…too warm its ripe, too cold shows lean with a little edgy heat as well…does have a nice saline crushed minerality and subtle nuances of lemongrass, mint leaves, white honey butter. Just ok…satisfying if it were a Bourgogne…but as a Puligny village it’s somewhat of a disappointment. Side note…LOVE the classic and classy labels on their wines! (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I went thru my first 5 bottles of a 6 pack of this too fast.
reloaded in 2016

a Buzz 89? Pour that crap down the drain!

Seriously.

My jaw dropped.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the note.

A friend served a bottle of this to a few of us blind recently and guesses were all over the place, ranging from sauvignon blanc to dry riesling. For me, it had an unusual combination of grassiness and waxiness and I alighted on Loire chenin, as much out of confusion as knowledge. It never occurred to me that it could be white Burgundy and we were all mystified when the bottle was revealed. It arguably undermines the value of a blind tasting when it heads so off piste, it being more likely the bottle is just in an odd place that day but it was interesting.

I’m pretty familiar with Paul Pernot’s wines and I have opened a few recently that didn’t really meet expectations. As I understand it Paul is still involved but there are maybe two younger generations working at the domaine. I think Paul must be in his 80s. I’m not clear on whether one or other of his sons is now running things or if they are doing the physical work while Paul makes the decisions. Does anybody have close knowledge of this domaine?

Cheers,
Martin

that was my bottle at Marta, Martin.

Yes, a Buzz 89 is barely drinkable :wink:

Don’t think I can help much, Martin—had a neat visit with Paul and he seemed passionate and serious at the time, but that was 8 years ago. I would indeed guess he’s well into his 80s at this point. I haven’t had one of his wines for some time now, agree with being disappointed to read the lack of 14 cut that you refer to in the note, Buzz. My most exposure on his were to 2009 wines, which I thought he handled (a Batard and Bienvenue coming to mind) extremely well.

Cheers,

Mike

Exactly Suzanne. Sorry maybe I should have referenced you specifically.

What was your take on that bottle on reflection?

Were we just terrible blind tasters looking to justify ourselves?

Martin

Well…pounding out my last bottle of this as I didn’t have much hope for it…dagnammit…all it needed was a second day, at cellar temp…it has gained TREMENDOUSLY!! The riper pitted orchard fruit has been chalked up nicely with salty and dusty pulverized rocky minerals…fresh squeeze of lemon and quince energize…totally LOVE the nuanced mint and lemongrass florals…finishes dry and spicy. What a turnaround!!! 93pts now. If you have this…open and wait til next day…serve at cellar temp.