So what do we know about Burgs this year and the Hospices de Beaune auction?

I just got an invitation from Christie’s to attend the auction in Beaune this year, with a list of barrels to be auctioned. Not that I want to go to Beaune that weekend, since I have other obligations, but as one of the original Gang of Five that put together HAG in 2005, I thought I would ask whether anyone knows anything about the current vintage. I can see the 2019 vintage version of all those barrels of wine with the delicious stuff I got from 2005. The Meursault we bought is almost all gone with no premox and maybe the 2005 Mazi will be ready before I die.

Red or White? or both?

wow, that was a long time ago that we all did that!

We are both getting MUCH older.

The early take on '19 with a few of the guys we deal with is that it is a very low yielding and very high quality vintage in both colours.

So, 2014 was amazing for whites, 2015 was big and lush, 2016 was good but limited quantity due to hail, 2017 was good and abundant, 2018 was fine and 2019 is good? When was the last not-amazing Burgundy vintage?

2013…

Geoff - in terms of whites, the vintage run has been rather incredible. The last quite dodgy vintage was 2006, before that 2003.

Is 2017 looking better than 2018 for reds ?

https://twitter.com/johnbgilman?lang=en

I should comment that I have not tasted any yet.

Very much disagree with the notion 13 is lacking. May end up being very good for both colors.

consensus is 18 is better than 17 for reds. Opposite for whites. Of course this depends on your preferences.

What the hell has happened here. Really no discussion of 19’s and very little of 18 too. A sign ?

I’m with Fred. Global warming has reduced vintage variability as well as gains in knowledge.

Global warming has reduced gains in knowledge? Is there anything not affected? :grinning:

Very good (maybe - and perhaps more so at the top) but not “AMAZING” as per the question posed.

I’ll take 13 whites over 16. 16s are too thick and glycerol for my palate.

Agreed! Something disjointed about 2016 whites right now. I don’t know if it’ll settle down but I’m limiting my 2016 white burgundy purchases.

For what it’s worth, I read somewhere Christophe Roumier said the structure of his 2013s reminded him of 1978.

Thank you for that! :slight_smile:

I don’t think that’s a consensus view. I think people who loved 15 will like 18 a lot. But to me 18 was pretty hot I’m barrel, especially in the Cote de Nuits.