TNs: Cab Franc: 2015 La Porte Saint Jean, 2015 Domaine Roches Neuvrs Terres Chaudes

Paired these two excellent young Cab Francs from Thierrry Germain and Sylvain Dittiere last night. Cool to try them side by side, Dittiere having spent time under Germain’s tutelage. Same vintage, same region, the wines were almost indistinguishable, actually, at this point. A bit more polish on the La Porte Saint Jean, the Germain felt like a more traditional CF. Both very nice wines that paired well with my wagyu burgers form Holy Grail Steak Co.

• 2015 Domaine des Roches Neuves Saumur-Champigny Terres Chaudes - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (11/3/2019)
    More of a green nose on this one, more typically Cab Franc to me. More earthy, a bit more heft. Although, it is fairly ready to drink, there are no hard edges. It is, perhaps, a riper style of CF, but it has a terrific mouthfeel and weight. It would please a crowd with its drink-ability. I like it. It does what it should at this level.
  • 2015 La Porte Saint Jean Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (11/3/2019)
    This is the more polished of the two wines. It’s less earthy, just hints at a green side, perhaps less-obviously Cab Franc. But it’s so damn pretty. Flora with notes of black tea and notes of green pepper. Elegant, clean and cool, with tart red fruit and a mostly earthy and persistent back end. Very nice. Ready to go, but there is also no rush.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, very useful data points.

Thanks, Dennis.

I sorta overlook this bottling in deference to the upper-tier cuvees, some that are Franc de Pier, OV or both.

Quality stuff for sure. Have more coming in next week.

I’ll check this one out again, always love reasonably priced CF. Roche’s higher range is $45-60.

[cheers.gif]

For sure. This Roche is low $20s currently and a very nice buy at that price point.
La Prte Saint Jean is harder to find, but worth a spin if you ever see it. Dittiere is one to watch. [cheers.gif]