TN: 1975 Harbor Winery Zinfandel, Deaver Vineyard (Paging Tom Hill and Ken Zinns)

Posted yesterday in one of Ken’s older threads, but had to start a new one because this wine deserves it. Kept a glass for day 2 and it literally has not lost a step. Stunning wine and easily top 5 for me this year.

@TOM/KEN - did either of you try this wine closer to release? Would be super curious to hear how it drank young.

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "1975 Harbor Winery Zinfandel, Deaver Vineyard, Shenandoah Valley Been looking forward to opening this and it did not disappoint. Cork was fully saturated but after easily removing the cork in one piece with my Durand (love my Durand), I knew from the first sniff that we were in business. Really pretty crimson red color with shockingly little/no bricking, and a nose full of cherries and dirt. In the mouth this is lovely with waves of raspberry, rhubarb, and earth and leather on the finish. Medium plus bodied with an amazing mix of fruit, secondary notes, and acidity. Just a beautiful wine and true pleasure to drink. Life is good!! #wine #zinfandel #deavervineyards #californiawine #historicvineyardsociety" [/media]

The Harbor Creek thru me for awhile. Just Harbor Wnry…of CharlieMeyers.
I, indeed, had this when it was released, probably around ‘77-‘78 time frame. Don’t have my TN’s to refer to, but it was pretty much like those SutterHome Zins of the early ‘70’s, big/rich/Amador briary/blackberry quite spicy, not at all over the top.
Not too surprising that it still was holding up Charlie’s wines were all about balance. Some of the later Amador Zins had higher alcohols and would be pretty raisened/pruned by now.
Tom

Glad to hear that your bottle showed as well as the one that Matt Wood generously shared with a few of us several months ago. I’ve never tried this wine before so I will yield to Tom’s impressions of the wine on release.

Thanks Tom…and my fault on the ‘creek’ thing. Think I had Carneros Creek on the brain for some reason. Fixed now.

And thanks for the details on the wine early on. Makes sense given how great its showing right now. Wish I had more!!

Thanks Ken! It was definitely a memorable wine!

I seem to recall Charles Meyer also did some very highly regarded Angelica wines with the Mission grapes… Am I thinking of the same guy?

Yup, Adam…Charlie made a Mission del Sol from Deaver OV Mission. As I recall, frmtd the Mission put dry and then added Mission juice to sweeten it. Aged incredibly well. Darrell Corti still has some for sale.
Tom

Thanks Tom. Just emailed Corti to see if they have some.

They should still have some, Adam.
When Charlie died, he still had a bunch of Mission del Sol, of various ages, in barrel. I believe they
blended them all together and bttld it as Harbor Oloroso Sherry NV. Which Darrell should also have.
In fact, I have one in my tasting lineup. Will open it this afternoon & report back…just for you, Adam!!
Tom

I’m glad to hear other bottles are showing as well as ours was. Fun to know that Zin from that era is still holding up and even drinking great! That was a fun night with that bottle.