N.Y. Times article on " the rising star sommelier" - Anthony Cailan

I am aware that I am an ol’ timer, and I live so far from the center of so much - in the Hawaiian Islands - we certainly are removed, but this entire article makes numerous references to how important and influential this Mr. Cailan is. Throughout the article each touch stone referred to - every wine shop is referred to as influential (shops I’ve never heard of and every restaurant he has worked is significant, style making.
I understand that the era we live in there is a goal for “Fame” and “Celebrity”. so many young people when asked what they want to be, ‘they want to be famous’.

My problem is not that Anthony Cailan considers himself self important, or that his groupies all trying to matter in the wine industry have placed Anthony on a vaulted position, but is the N.Y. Times really that out of touch to give the credibility to this millennial as being so influential in the wine industry?

if you are selling wine or trying to get your wine placed on fine restaurant lists it is not uncommon to have immature young men who quickly think all the attention paid them is because it is something about them. They forget it is merely the job they are holding, hired by a restaurant and the moment they abuse that job of purchasing wine - no one cares about their opinion or B.S. That i’ve seen over and again, I’ve never seen a front page article from “The Paper of Record” anoint one of these immature and mistaken - inexperienced fools affirm their standing.

"Anthony Cailan, a rising star sommelier, " the headline of the article “A celebrity Sommelier”, Really?

seems you completely missed the point of the story.

Never heard of him

Exactly, so Neal, then you - like I - are not in the know of the influential stars of the wine world.

If you thought - that the Rothschilds, or Mondavi’s, or Ernest and Julio, or Terlato’s, or COSTCO, or K & L, or Zachy’s and so on, are influential then we need to meet Mr. Cailan to learn what is what.

rudy kurniawan and Mr. Acker, they are influential… Even John Fox now in jail… but Anothy Cailan?

+1, this was about abuse of power/influence or perceived power/influence. Sickening.

of course it is, that is obvious…

Self-created social media stars sometimes forget that fame can expose, but not excuse, questionable behavior.

that’s what it is at this time - "self created social media " fame… not fame from real accomplishment or achievement - but just as you state “self-created”.
I feel terrible for the young people of today…

Me too.

Poor souls.

[cry.gif]

Remarkable how one can read a story with repeated instances of sexual assault and come away with the opinion that it is the NYTimes that is out of touch.

The internet is forever, let us not forget, at least, outside of the EU.

Another classic Gladstone post whining about young people

Shockingly so. It’s like he read a different article. Except he didn’t.

He may have read and understood the article, but wanted to discuss an additional aspect. Make no false dilemmas.

Obviously - I need to state the obvious - is that it? or some people just feel better attacking on the internet.
This young man’s behavior is absolutely awful, sickening to me. You do not know me or my history - however, how quickly you judge.

The accusations about this young man abusing his role is terrible, hopefully now that I’ve stated this - we can stop raising this questio
So many people in power have abused that power -

Simply - I am a member of a wine focused social wine community through this web site and did not realize I would have to face such attacks by pointing out another aspect that so alarmed me
The N.Y. Times prides itself on being the paper of Record, to put this idiot on the Front page and over and again state what a power figure and star he is, and some wine shop is also top of the heap (which I’ve never heard of0 and all of his past employee restaurant sites - I also found shocking and offensive of a differnet kind

I thought that was an appropriate topic for wine focused social community discussion.
Why several people want to assume I entirely missed that and attack me that - “I missed the point” - really?
what’s missing in your life that you need to come on the internet and attack?

and the comment something as if you know me, what a chicken shit person you are… if the topic is of no interest, pass it by…

And you have a view in to the validity and use of my posts? You who won’t even show your full name?
You know how many few hundred people I’ve had respectful, professional dealings with through this site in the real world?
who are you? beside hiding with some little chicken shit comment like this?
is this your thing to go on the internet and be a bully?

Of course I feel awful about what these woman have experienced.

ok boomer

I am an Eisenhower baby boomer too.
Some readers confuse people versus their facts.