TN: 2001 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Rheinhessen)

• 2001 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (11/3/2019)
    A bit of petrol on the nose, which faded after a while. Medium gold in color. Still shows more sweetness than I would expect from a Spatlese, but the wine is very complex, so the sweetness just adds to the enjoyment. There’s a dense mouthfeel, with lots of acidity, minerality, and fall fruits. It paired well with the lobster dish.

I have one bottle left from the case, which I’ll hold for another five years to check development. It’s amazing the kind of quality that was available 15 years ago for $12 a bottle. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. Bought 6 and still have 4 which will sleep a while longer. Great value wines.

2001 was a fabulous buying opportunity. Wines as low as $8 (e.g. Leitz Klosterlay QbA) have stood the test of time to survive and develop.

I bought a bunch of this at the time, but drank it all because it was so delicious.

Gunderloch did a fantastic job in 2001. Really it was hard not to in such a great vintage. The only Gunderloch wines I have left from the 2001 vintage are 2 bottles. The NR Auslese and NR Goldcap Auslese.

VM

I still had 4 or 5 bottles of 201 JJ Prum Spatlese in the cellar. I check in periodically, but every bottle has been stellar. That was such a great vintage, and it was my first real introduction to German wines. Those were the days.

Cheers,
Scott