Using old decanters

As I tend to collect and drink older wines, I almost invariably decant wines. Over the years I have collected older decanters including a few nineteenth century ones, mostly conventional but a few oddballs like Egbert my walrus decanter, which I will photograph later. It adds some fun when you are drinking seriously.

Anyone else use older decanters.

I don’t, but I get your drift. I have many dozens of antique corkscrews, including many from the early 1800s. These are like little mechanical pieces of art, such a celebration of opening something celebratory.

I love this one, aptly called the “King’s Screw”.

AC6FD231-8572-4C6A-83B3-F7571EECAC05.jpeg
Post some pics, Mark.

We use an old decanter that belonged to my wife’s grandparents. We believe it to be at least 60 years old. It’s very basic but has a small void built in that can hold a couple of ice cubes to keep whites cool. And it always makes us think of them when we use it - they both enjoyed their beverages.

I have only one antique one, which some friends picked up in Scotland as a gift. There’s something stuck in the bottom I’ve never been able to get out, though, so I don’t use it.

I have maybe a dozen decanters, many picked up at thrift shops for $5-$10. It’s nice to have variety when you’re serving different wines and don’t want to confuse decanters. Plus, I enjoy the various shapes.

Egbert and friends. The etched one was a Hugh Johnson selection which holds a magnum.
1AB9EDE9-9EFA-4045-9AED-CA58ECEE7A12.jpeg

Hope this takes
5A31BC4C-B1D7-4D3F-AD2D-FE22EBA92431.jpeg

Sorry about the photography
ABDD70B0-A0D8-499D-B468-86655BB76920.jpeg
8A1EA445-3DC8-4E25-BE31-FBB2A928D652.jpeg

Anyone worry about the lead in these old decanters?

Walrus is fantastic

I love Egbert. Always used for what I think will be the best wine. But a pain to clean.
There was a pair of monkeys from the same maker at auction which went for three times the number I was prepared to go.

The lead question is interesting. Definitely not something I would store short or long term, but all the literature says that over the course of an evening there will be no problems.

I did send a sample to a friend’s lab of an old bottle of Cognac, and levels were indeed dangerous, and that came from crystal that was 30 plus years old.

from an antique crystal place I have seen: “To make sure crystal glassware is safe to store liquids – no matter is manufacturer has done this already or not – perform this simple task: Fill the interior of your crystal glassware, decanters, and pitchers with white vinegar and let sit for 24 hours. Rinse well before use. The majority of lead oxide molecules will leach into an acidic solution, leaving the top layers of crystal virtually lead-free.”

Thank you for the pics!

I want to drink from the dog/walrus-like thing!

Is it a walrus or a dog, or a dogalrus?

Mike,
Nothing doggie about it. It is pure walrus, and I think you need your eyes tested. [snort.gif]

Very cool. Is it small? Judging by the pic it looks like it cant hold a standard. Or maybe a standard would completely fill the decanter?

Did the Queen know, meanwhile?

Lead poisoning poses greatest risk to young children with developing brains, not old people with twisted ones.

The 1907 Match Play Trophy needs some silver polish.
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0008 (1).jpg

Who do you think gave it to him?

cheesehead

Holds a full bottle relatively easily.