Mostly fine Pinot with some excellent and bad outliers

2013 Chaleur Estate Blanc – An excellent example of what is usually a wonderful wine. There is more Sauvignon Blanc and less Semillon character than I remember. The aromas are mostly ripe white fruit, with touches of hay and grass. The palate is rich, almost unctuous, but with plenty of balancing acidity. The flavors are subtle and biblical, as in there is something ancient about this. There isn’t the depth, weight or intensity of very great white wine, but this is a stunning wonder for something generally available at a fair price. Rated 94. Drink now or over the next five years.

2011 Patz & Hall Pinot Noir Hyde Vineyard – This is fine. The aromas are seamless featuring red cherries, a hint of basil, a touch of forest without oak. The palate follows the aromas, now some black fruit with the red, sublimely polished, with tender ripeness. Fully mature, won’t fall apart but won’t improve. Drink now. Rated 90.5.

2010 Jadot Pommard ‘Clos de la Commeraine’ – This smells and tastes five years younger than the previous. The aromas are more raspberry than cherry, a little ‘in your face’. The palate is vigorous, with fine balanced tannins, very fresh and young, but with something dusty and herbal in deep background. There is so much more here in body and depth than the previous, and it has a long future. Rated 93, up to two points of improvement likely over 5 – 10 years.

2017 Hartford Court RRV PN – Something very different here. So young, this has tender fresh aromas of all red cherries, with a touch of oak and maybe just a hint of Rainier cherries. Light on its feet. Very fresh, very new world, the palate is deceptively light on entry, gaining weight through the middle and finish. This is simply enjoyable today but could gain in subtlety with time. Hard to judge. Rated 91.5 right now, could improve up to 2 points.

2009 Mont-Thabor Chateauneuf-du-Pape – Rated F (flawed). Nothing but alcohol and overripe baked fruit. Bye-bye down the drain.

2012 Trivento Malbec ‘Golden Reserve Lujan de Cuyo – This was titanic on release, I remember that I rated it 95 and drank two cases in what seemed like two weeks (but was probably six months). A friend bought it on my recommendation and was smart enough to save some. Almost as dark as I remember, the aromas still intense black fruit. Floral quality there but muted. The spice components are obvious and nicely integrated. The palate is now less rich, baby fat all gone, but still a very big mouthful of beautifully balanced fruit. The finish is very long and everything is incredibly well integrated. Rated 93 tonight, not as good tonight as in its youth, but still really excellent. Could improve up to 2 points in 5 years. I’m cadging a bottle from my friend, will revisit.

Dan Kravitz