Sooooo Good! 2016 Rivers-Marie Summa PN

Damn this is a killer bottle of CA pinot. RM continues to crank out some really cool wines, most notably the 2017 Platt Vineyard PN that probably ends up as my red WOTY for 2019. But back to this 2016 Summa, it’s magic. Acid, fruit, aromatics. It’s all here, and as the kids ring the doorbell tonight for Halloween, I’ll be finishing off this stuff with a big 'ol smile. WINNER!

• 2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/31/2019)
    Opened yesterday. I enjoyed about 1/3rd of the bottle, was impressed with the wine as it hit the spot. As a bonus, we paired it with butternut squash ravioli, pumpkin seeds and some parmesan. Returned to the fridge and let it sit there overnight. Just poured a fresh glass today to enjoy watching the WTA Championships. Damn, this is an excellent bottle of CA PN. Listed ABV of 13.9%. Has the same pinot funk aroma as 2018’s bottle, which also infuses the palate with a saddle leathery, smoky note. The core of the wine mixes tart cherry and pure raspberry. There is acid here, along with a crunchy, jammy fruit profile, which all mixes together for a great glass of wine. This bottle is even better from the July 2018 bottle, with no shortage of stuffing. I dig the spine that shows in the wine’s finish, giving it the structure to hold it all together. Awesome Pinot Noir, and yet another vote for why I dig the RM Pinots so much. I’ll be looking forward to the 2018s being released in January.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Man, I just want that butternut squash ravioli.

Great note, Frank. Happy Halloween!

Curtis, you can get it at Costco. Organic too. Add some olive oil, cranberries and pinot. RM pinot. !!

Had this tonight and it is stunning. Nose is cherry/raspberry with touch of leaves and a cedar/brown sugar background note. Not getting any orange that I often find in RM pinot. Acidity gives it a mouthwatering quality with a mid weight mouthfeel and nice lift on the pallet. Not getting a crunchy profile from this as per the first review, guessing its heading into secondary but no way past prime. Drinking amazing now but no rush on these.

1 Like

Just ordered the current vintage for my wine list.

1 Like