Best red Burgs for 2019

Groffier Chambertin Clos de Bèze 2006 : 19/20
Rousseau Chambertin 2006 : 18,5/20 (twice)

I’ll get into the spirit of this with a lazy Rousseau Chambertin 1993: 19.995/20 :slight_smile:!

2003 Truchot Clos de la Roche, Charmes Chambertin and GC Combottes.

Great

Rousseau Chambertin 1993 still too young in december 2008 (a tough vintage, probably needing a great patience … you confirm it).
Same for Rousseau Clos de Bèze 1993 in february 2005.

IMHO it was ready but still maturing. That extra decade + of aging has really helped. A great bottle.

1983 was my one and only Rousseau Chambertin, and I would rate it as did Rauno his 1993, which says something about timelines, as it was now nearly a decade back that that I drank it. But is not the big news here your preference, Laurent, for the Groffier over the Rousseau; or am I missing something? Was it just were it was in the drinking curve, or the respective merits of the wines themselves to the extent this could be discerned?

D. Laurent-1995 Musigny

Produced from old wines, the dark colored Musigny has an enticingly gorgeous nose of Asian spices, violets and sweet plums. Earthy, minerally and floral on the palate, this is a full bodied, stupendous wine - powerful yet refined, muscular yet elegant. Highly structured and harmonious.

Remains youthful, with a long life ahead, good acidity, a very long finish. Lot’s of structure with remaining tannin. Decanted three hours.

A great comparison, blind, two glasses. I initially thought the first glass (Groffier) was Rousseau. I then imagined the second glass from DRC.

was this bottle labelled as a VV? I have a 95 Laurent Closet des Chenes VV that I’m trying to decide when to open. just nothing on CT about it, which seems to be the case for a lot of the Laurent lineup

I’ve been patient too. Might pop one of two for my 50th next year.

Merci, Laurent, tres interessant.

Laurent is a very controversial producer on this board. I’ve enjoyed some of his wines from the '90’s, which seem to have “eaten the oak,” but some skepticism perhaps understandably remains.

1993 + 50 = 2043
1993 + 75 = 2068

Why does everyone on this board [other than Francois Audouze] insist on committing infanticide?

LOL - fair point Nathan: now show us your tasting notes :wink:

Because we’re mortal.

1969 DRC Grand Echezeaux. Only had a glass and definitely not my bottle, but this was the best red Burgundy I had this year.

2011 DRC Échezeaux. Just a stupidly pretty well-constructed wine with a bouquet that doesn’t quit.

Mortality.

Either 2001 E. Rouget Vosne-Romanee Les Beaumonts or 2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot.

de Montille Taillepieds 2002

2007 Liger-Belair Reignots
2012 Liger-Belair Reignots
2016 Liger-Belair Reignots (the first time)

Others that surprised
2006 Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle Feusselottes
2013 Verdet Beaux Monts
2017 Berthaut-Gerbet Fixin Arvelets