TN: 2014 Mending Wall Petite Sirah, Palisades Vineyard

Literally black as night. Like…crazy, glass staining black (pics don’t lie). I know its PS…but still amazing how they can craft a wine this dark each year. Black and purple fruits with a very intriguing dusty texture. Tannins evident but this is still very approachable and absolutley delicious. Will probbaly hold for a long time (left a glass worth in the bottle on a counter for 4 days and it barely lost a step) but so tasty now. Drink now, in 10 years, or whenever you feel like it!

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "2014 Mending Wall Petite Sirah, Palisades Vineyard Literally black as night. Like....crazy, glass staining black (pics don't lie). I know its PS....but still amazing how they can craft a wine this dark each year. Black and purple fruits with a very intriguing dusty texture. Tannins evident but this is still very approachable and absolutley delicious. Will probbaly hold for a long time (left a glass worth in the bottle on a counter for 4 days and it barely lost a step) but so tasty now. Drink now, in 10 years, or whenever you feel like it! #mendingwallwines #mendingwallwinery #petitesirah #palisadesvineyard #wine" [/media]

Drinking window might be ”whenever”, great note.

Top 3 PS made in CA IMO.

Thanks man! And yeah…that feels about right for this one :wink:

Totally agree! Literally cant think of more than 2 or 3 others that would even be in the same ballpark (at least consistently)

Turley Hayne Vineyard
Carlisle Palisades Vineyard
Switchback Ridge

Only 3 challengers I can think of in a bigger style.

Agree, the 14’ is so dark, it’s makes you think it’s going to be a bruiser, but on the palete it is incredibly deep but approachable.

The exact 3 I had in mind. Litetally.

Vincent Arroyo makes some solid PS as well. Also been digging the Once and Future Petites so far…but a bit different style compared to the others mentioned.

Quixote is the only other Napa I can think of in bigger style. Outside of Napa though there is Ridge, Biale, and the under the radar one we sell, but I drink outside of work is J. Lohr Tower Road from Paso, all but Biale are still more restrained.

Had a 2006 Carver Sutro PS from the Palisades Vineyard 2 years ago and it was one of my top 10 all time wines. Don’t get a chance to drink or even see much PS from Palisades, but I know it makes some of the best Petite ever.

Oh, great call - Forgot about Carver Sutro! Opened a mag of 01 Palisades last year while camping with my buddy and our boys and it was awesome…even out of red solo cups :wink:

The Arroyo Winemaker’s Reserve and Rattlesnake Acres are VERY good.