TN: 2016 Walter Scott X Novo and 2017 Kelley Fox Red Barn Blocks

Had a night to myself this past weekend and decided to check in on these two beauts:

2016 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard
Popped, poured, and swirled for about 30 minutes. Love it when a wine does not disappoint and just shreds you as this puppy was on blast from the first sniff. Exhilarating aromas of lemon, apple, hazelnut, and a piercing stony minerality. The intensity continues in the mouth, where the stone and lively acidity lift the peach and baked apple spice notes. The mouthfeel is brilliant and the finish lingers for what seems like minutes. Top two or three domestic chardonnay, no doubt. 95pts.

2017 Kelley Fox Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
Decanted for an hour. The first thing this wine shows you is a gorgeous transparent ruby color, so light. The second thing it reveals is the most pretty nose of any wine I’ve ever drank – the absolute purest wild strawberries, rose petal, and earth. Red fruits galore on the palate. A stunner. 94pts.

Both great wines…and great producers. Have kept my hands off the ‘16s and 17s thus far, but notes like these make me ponder cracking some soon.

Scott,

The Walter Scott had so much energy. I don’t think it’s going anywhere but if you enjoy young Chardonnay, don’t hesitate to open one. The Kelley Fox was just a beautiful wine and it’s the perfect time of year to crack one :slight_smile:

Kelley fox deserves every high rating her wines get. you are dead on with the purity note.

I’ve got multiples of the different WS Chards, so should crack one soon. Thanks!

J Dub, I’m glad you you took my heading to give the 16 WS a go [cheers.gif] As good as the Cuvee Anne and Freedom Hill are (and thy are very, very good), the X Novo is a whole different beast entirely. The RBB doesn’t sound too shabby either. Love these wines!

i brought a WS chard to peter’s place, did you get a chance to try it? i actually forgot to try that one… the only bottle i didn’t try. didn’t see it and then forgot.

I did - it was really good. But it was Freedom Hill, not X-Novo. While I like FH a lot, XN is a step above IMO

X-Novo is obviously the flagship Chard, but Freedom Hill can stand on its own.

I’ve only opened the regular 2017 Maresh (called Mirabai) from Kelley Fox so far. It is an amazing wine. Light color but loads of aromatic and palate complexity. Looking forward to popping the three vineyard designates later.

Sorry for bringing such subpar plonk! :wink:

kiddin’ aside, glad it’s good… have more of them… and the xnovo as well. definitely great chards!

To clarify, I only provided my opinion about the ‘16 FH (which I’m glad you brought - always happy to drink any WS wine) because this thread was about ‘16 X-Novo, not because it’s not a damn fine wine. [cheers.gif]

I like FH - a lot. I’ve drank a lot of FH, XN, Vojtilla, and Cuvee Anne, and I’ve yet to have a FH that hit the heights of bottles of the others (or the 2 bottles I’ve had of ‘16 Bunker Hill). However, I’ve never had an off bottle of FH, and have had off bottles of the others (Not BH). FH is great Chard that I buy multiple bottles of every year, just not in the top tier of WS SV bottlings IMO. YMMV

The 2017 Maresh Red Barn Block from Kelley is so beautiful. I love that wine. The 2018 I just received is her last vintage with this block. She has lots of other great terroir but this one to me is special. Great note.

Peter,
You should try the vineyard designate from Maresh in 2017. (The one labeled Maresh not Mirabai) Lighter color but intense fruit and great complexity. Not a crime to me to open if you enjoy young pinot.

Don, I plan to, but waiting for the air to clear up. It’d be a waste to pop a great wine with residual fire smoke in the air, something I’m very sensitive to, unfortunately.

I haven’t had the Red Barn yet, but the 16 Star of Bethlehem was my first foray into KF pinot, and about gave me whiplash with how gorgeous the nose was.

1 Like

Anyone cracked a 2017 WS X Novo?

I’ve probably had it half a dozen times over the last 9 months at various tastings (my case is sleeping). It’s superb but painfully young. The Seven Springs is also excellent and almost on a par with it.

Ditto to Rick’s comments. Young with a lot of promise. I tasted the 2017’s at WS in June and opened a bottle of 2017 WS X Novo from my case back in July. Actually, I opened a 2017 WS Seven Springs Chardonnay around the same time (different days, no side by side) and I would have given a slight edge to the Seven Springs.

I’ve enjoyed the 2013 and 2014 X Novo over the last 6 months. It’s splitting hairs, but I think that the 2013 X Novo would be my favorite from the recent bottles.

James

This wine (Mirabi) for 35 dollars is a fantastic value. So darn good