Peter Luger's - no corkage and bad reviews

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
GregT

Peter Luger's - no corkage and bad reviews

#1 Post by GregT » October 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Don't know if anyone saw the article by Pete Wells slamming the place, but I was PO'd when they wouldn't let me bring some wine for a special occasion and they made us buy wine from them and use their Libby industrial glassware. Not that I'm that geeky about glasses, but even Olive Garden has better glasses. Or had - I haven't been there for a while.

And it's not that hard to have a good wine list if you're a steak house.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/ ... s-bad.html
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Peter Luger's - no corkage and bad reviews

#2 Post by Henry Kiichli » October 30th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Victor beat you to it

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=164520
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Morris » October 30th, 2019, 2:21 pm

GregT wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Don't know if anyone saw the article by Pete Wells slamming the place, but I was PO'd when they wouldn't let me bring some wine for a special occasion and they made us buy wine from them and use their Libby industrial glassware. Not that I'm that geeky about glasses, but even Olive Garden has better glasses. Or had - I haven't been there for a while.

And it's not that hard to have a good wine list if you're a steak house.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/ ... s-bad.html
I haven’t been to PL for a long time but, from what i recall, Olive Garden’s wine list might be better, too.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Davis » October 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm

When we were there they had some Ridge on what they call a list. So I guess we got lucky but their list does indeed suck.
ITB

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm

John Davis wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm
When we were there they had some Ridge on what they call a list. So I guess we got lucky but their list does indeed suck.
Even back in the day, pretty much everything sucked except the beef and the potatoes
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 30th, 2019, 5:24 pm

They have Bedrock and a few other decent wines on the list. Certainly not extensive. It’d be better if you could BYO.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jay Miller » October 30th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm
John Davis wrote:
Even back in the day, pretty much everything sucked except the beef and the potatoes
The bacon!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Rick Smith

#8 Post by Rick Smith » October 30th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:46 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm
John Davis wrote:
The bacon!
This. And schlag with dessert.

I always just buy a Ridge and call it a day. Just don’t let the servers rush you, or you are out in 75 minutes. We manage the time.

Arv R

#9 Post by Arv R » October 30th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Although its been a long time since I've been there, I thought it was a basically a fraud the two times I tried it.

I doubt the negative review will hurt them one bit -- it's like the Mr. Chow of steakhouses.
R_@_0

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jay Miller » October 31st, 2019, 4:37 am

The real question is whether the quality of the meat has declined as that was the main reason to go. I haven’t been in well over a decade (too much of a schlep) so I have no idea on whether I would agree with that assessment.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Victor Hong

#11 Post by Victor Hong » October 31st, 2019, 5:03 am

That restaurant has long relied on Wall Street clientele.
On my last visit, Wall Street firms were still on Wall Street, and a veritable all-male sea of blue suits, white shirts, and yellow "power" ties.
Since then, Wall Street firms have evolved adaptively or disappeared forcibly, but Peter Luger's has neither. Let us see if Pete Wells leads to either.
WineHunter.

davidlown

#12 Post by davidlown » October 31st, 2019, 5:18 am

I would imagine the quality of the meat has gone down even though probably not lugers fault. Prime steak is now a hot commodity across the entire USA so the days of them getting the pick of the litter probably is much harder.

Victor Hong

#13 Post by Victor Hong » October 31st, 2019, 5:27 am

davidlown wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:18 am
I would imagine the quality of the meat has gone down even though probably not lugers fault. Prime steak is now a hot commodity across the entire USA so the days of them getting the pick of the litter probably is much harder.
That might help explain the adverse diner and critic reviews. A good restaurant would compete accordingly to maintain quality, if charging high prices.
WineHunter.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 31st, 2019, 5:44 am

I don’t think it has dropped at all, at least in the ~20 or so years I’ve been going there. One of the reasons I like it is because of the lack of change. It’d certainly be a different restaurant if they took credit cards and had a more diverse menu and wine list, with likely a different clientele; imo it’d likely be a negative. BYO would be nice, though.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 31st, 2019, 8:39 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:44 am
I don’t think it has dropped at all, at least in the ~20 or so years I’ve been going there. One of the reasons I like it is because of the lack of change. It’d certainly be a different restaurant if they took credit cards and had a more diverse menu and wine list, with likely a different clientele; imo it’d likely be a negative. BYO would be nice, though.
I think it has changed a little. The last time I was there, the steak was solid rather than spectacular, and given the high expectations from our previous visits, it was a tad disappointing. The bacon was better than usual.

I think I will probably give it another chance, as my son loves the place, but given the above and the hassle of getting there from Westchester, it had better be back to where it was.
ITB

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Greg K » October 31st, 2019, 10:14 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:44 am
I don’t think it has dropped at all, at least in the ~20 or so years I’ve been going there. One of the reasons I like it is because of the lack of change. It’d certainly be a different restaurant if they took credit cards and had a more diverse menu and wine list, with likely a different clientele; imo it’d likely be a negative.
No, it would be an improvement. I always cringe at requests to go to Luger because it's a pain to get to and it's more of an "experience" for out of towners than an actual dining destination. In a city where steakhouses abound (and where omakase has for many years replaced them as a premier meal anyway), it's mostly a sideshow. You can get better steak with far less hassle in almost every other part of Manhattan, with better wine, desserts and other food for people who may not be interested in steak. The only times to go anymore are when junior people at work want to go because "they've never been". The request is almost never repeated after they go.
Greg Kahn

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 31st, 2019, 10:37 am

Interesting; I’d be far less interested in going if it were more homogeneous with other NY steak houses.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 31st, 2019, 11:17 am

Yes, but it gets back to whether Luger is now a charming anachronism rather than a great restaurant. I think Wells got it right, the formula is fading a little.

I like restaurants with chefs doing interesting things which I can’t do at home. Do I need to spend a fortune and a lot of time for essentially a hunk of good meat and little else (apart from the bacon) to recommend it.
ITB

Yao C

#19 Post by Yao C » October 31st, 2019, 12:17 pm

Greg K wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:14 am
No, it would be an improvement. I always cringe at requests to go to Luger because it's a pain to get to and it's more of an "experience" for out of towners than an actual dining destination. In a city where steakhouses abound (and where omakase has for many years replaced them as a premier meal anyway), it's mostly a sideshow. You can get better steak with far less hassle in almost every other part of Manhattan, with better wine, desserts and other food for people who may not be interested in steak. The only times to go anymore are when junior people at work want to go because "they've never been". The request is almost never repeated after they go.
Haha this is me 10 years ago as an impressionable new analyst in New York. Even then I thought it was a marginal value, though it was entertaining enough. I certainly have no intention of returning
C h 0 o n 6

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Greg K » October 31st, 2019, 12:32 pm

Yao C wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 12:17 pm
Greg K wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:14 am
Haha this is me 10 years ago as an impressionable new analyst in New York. Even then I thought it was a marginal value, though it was entertaining enough. I certainly have no intention of returning
Exactly! Our summer associates want to go, and no one is overly excited to take them given the massive schlep to Brooklyn. It's just a thing to cross off the list.
Greg Kahn

John W Osgood

#21 Post by John W Osgood » October 31st, 2019, 1:06 pm

I always thought dinner was terrible. The staff was consistently rude and the food could be uneven.

Lunch was always far, far better. More relaxed, no rush from the staff and they were actually friendly.

I've had some great meat there and the bacon always delivers.

Not surprised by the bad review in the NYT whatsoever.
IG: vins_rouges

CT: JOsgood

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by MBerto » October 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:03 am
and yellow "power" ties.
Wait what? What's a yellow power tie? What was this 1973?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Victor Hong

#23 Post by Victor Hong » October 31st, 2019, 1:11 pm

MBerto wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:03 am
and yellow "power" ties.
Wait what? What's a yellow power tie? What was this 1973?
WineHunter.

Gabe Berk

#24 Post by Gabe Berk » October 31st, 2019, 1:38 pm

Luger's is a place to take out of towner's akin to going to Katz Deli. It's a destination rather than an gastronomic life changer. Not being able to bring your own wine its banana's though. Charge $50 corkage at least to allow people to bring in special stuff...

GregT

#25 Post by GregT » October 31st, 2019, 3:53 pm

That's what I was trying to tell them when we went for my wife's birthday. The servers were pretty good to us that time and even cooked her part of the porterhouse a little more without fussing over it. So I can't complain about that dinner. But seriously, they're not the best steak I've eaten and that's what they should have been. A steakhouse isn't that hard to figure out - buy good meat and don't damage it. But when you have the competition that Luger's has now, you kind of need to change now and then, even if it's only incrementally. Like taking credit cards? Or allowing BYO?

OTOH, seems like they're still doing pretty well, so what do they need our opinions for? NYC has a lot of places like that - places where the tourists want to go and get the NYC experience. Or what they think is the NYC experience.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Jason T » October 31st, 2019, 5:13 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 1:38 pm
Not being able to bring your own wine its banana's though. Charge $50 corkage at least to allow people to bring in special stuff...
They’re broadcasting how much they value you, the customer.

How many other businesses are there where you could refuse to innovate, provide substandard customer service, overcharge, while offering an inferior product?

(And still have people shill for you - which is frankly weird).

None that are legal. This place, and its ilk, are a dinosaur. And it’s time to go.
J@son Tr@ughber

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Paul McCourt » October 31st, 2019, 7:06 pm

Last time I went everyone kind of said “why are we coming here?” Nobody could really stick up for the place. Been back once or twice for lunch meetings but not dinner.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#28 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 31st, 2019, 8:03 pm

If you’re in the hood and hankering for cholesterol, I’d take st anslem over Lugers any day.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by RyanC » October 31st, 2019, 8:18 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
Luger's is a place to take out of towner's akin to going to Katz Deli. It's a destination rather than an gastronomic life changer. Not being able to bring your own wine its banana's though. Charge $50 corkage at least to allow people to bring in special stuff...
Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

Best part of Luger’s has always been the bacon.
C@ughey

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Ken Strauss » October 31st, 2019, 10:04 pm

After reading this review I would never go to Peter Lugers.
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked their website. It seems they have 2 locations and sell their prime steak mail order.
With so many great steak houses and mail order prime steak available from places like Flannery it is another example of an establishment living off the past.

This business will die soon unless they change.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Morris » November 1st, 2019, 4:21 am

RyanC wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 8:18 pm
Gabe Berk wrote:
Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

You don't feel ripped off at Katz's, even if the pastrami isn't first class. It's still real -- glaring fluorescent lights and all. My only complaint the last time I was there, a year or so ago, was that it was mostly tourists at lunch time. I hadn't been in years and feared it might be dying with all the gentrification on the Lower East Side, but it's definitely holding its own.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 1st, 2019, 4:50 am

John Morris wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:21 am
RyanC wrote:
Gabe Berk wrote:
Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

You don't feel ripped off at Katz's, even if the pastrami isn't first class. It's still real -- glaring fluorescent lights and all. My only complaint the last time I was there, a year or so ago, was that it was mostly tourists at lunch time. I hadn't been in years and feared it might be dying with all the gentrification on the Lower East Side, but it's definitely holding its own.
If that pastrami isn't first class, then first class pastrami no longer exists. The claimed parallel between Katz' and Luger's doesn't work for me at all.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 1st, 2019, 6:10 am

I agree Katz and Peter Luger are entirely different, although they share the distinction of being from another era.

I loathed my meal at Katz. Pastrami was adequate, the Matzo balls could have been used by David to kill Goliath. Touristy, borderline rude certainly indifferent service. Only the pickles pleased.
ITB

Steven King

#34 Post by Steven King » November 1st, 2019, 6:36 am

Wow, talk about timing. I have res Nov 8. We are in Brooklyn for a beer trip, doing Anslem for lunch. So where does one Steak in Brooklyn then? Destefanos? Help so I can correct a glaring mistake

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » November 1st, 2019, 6:43 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with Peter Luger, I think what's off is people's expectations. It's not a fine dining establishment - never has been. It's not a destination restaurant. It's just where you go in Brooklyn if you want an excellent slab of cow washed down with a bottle of Geyserville. Admittedly I haven't been in 6 or 7 years but I can't imagine much has changed on their end.

I think Katz's is - and should be - much more of a tourist destination, especially given its location, history, atmosphere, and more family-friendly pricing and menu.
ITB

Steven Dilley

#36 Post by Steven Dilley » November 1st, 2019, 6:49 am

Ken Strauss wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:04 pm
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked their website. It seems they have 2 locations and sell their prime steak mail order.
With so many great steak houses and mail order prime steak available from places like Flannery it is another example of an establishment living off the past.

While I agree with most of Wells' review, it won't impact Luger's business. They'll be fine.
Ben M a n d l e r wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:43 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with Peter Luger, I think what's off is people's expectations. It's not a fine dining establishment - never has been.
This. I'll occasionally pop in for a burger or a steak for lunch if I'm in the area around opening time and don't feel like going to Diner, etc.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by RyanC » November 1st, 2019, 6:51 am

Steven King wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:36 am
Wow, talk about timing. I have res Nov 8. We are in Brooklyn for a beer trip, doing Anslem for lunch. So where does one Steak in Brooklyn then? Destefanos? Help so I can correct a glaring mistake
I'd go. It's still very tasty, quite unique, and obviously famous. It's just not "America's best steakhouse" or anything close to it.
C@ughey

Steven King

#38 Post by Steven King » November 1st, 2019, 6:52 am

RyanC wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:51 am
Steven King wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:36 am
I'd go. It's still very tasty, quite unique, and obviously famous. It's just not "America's best steakhouse" or anything close to it.
Well said my friend, thank you

Victor Hong

#39 Post by Victor Hong » November 1st, 2019, 7:05 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:10 am
I agree Katz and Peter Luger are entirely different, although they share the distinction of being from another era.

I loathed my meal at Katz. Pastrami was adequate, the Matzo balls could have been used by David to kill Goliath. Touristy, borderline rude certainly indifferent service. Only the pickles pleased.
I do not know a thing at Jewish cuisine....other than what we sell on Christmas.
WineHunter.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Matthew King » November 1st, 2019, 7:44 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:50 am
John Morris wrote:
RyanC wrote:

Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

If that pastrami isn't first class, then first class pastrami no longer exists. The claimed parallel between Katz' and Luger's doesn't work for me at all.
That’s because you are a tourist, per John! [wink.gif]
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Greg K » November 1st, 2019, 8:21 am

Katz's is great 3:00 am drunk food.
Greg Kahn

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#42 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » November 1st, 2019, 8:52 am

Steven Dilley wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 6:49 am
Ken Strauss wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:04 pm

While I agree with most of Wells' review, it won't impact Luger's business. They'll be fine.
I dunno, I think this could be the straw that break's the camel's back. To me, Luger's has been for a while a classic example of 'preference falsification', where various New Yorkers who didn't think much of it felt compelled to be at the margin laudatory because of its prestige and history. That's important for the 'out of town' crowd to feel comfortable about a visit. Now that the emperor has no clothes, I wonder how hesitant the marginal diner at Luger's will be to return or even recommend it. We'll see...

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 1st, 2019, 10:05 am

It’d be nice if it were easier to get in. I made reservations right after they became available for my dates and there wasn’t anything between 6-745 on a Tuesday.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 1st, 2019, 10:17 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 10:05 am
It’d be nice if it were easier to get in. I made reservations right after they became available for my dates and there wasn’t anything between 6-745 on a Tuesday.
You might be able to get in now!

GregT

#45 Post by GregT » November 1st, 2019, 10:23 am

[rofl.gif]

But 6-7:45 is pretty early for dinner though isn't it? Who eats at six o'clock?

As far as Katz vs Luger - I wouldn't make the comparison either. Mostly because I can't stand pastrami and have no idea why someone would eat it in the first place, much less go out of their way to do so. I guess people had to eat it when they could only get some crappy tough piece of meat and they wanted to turn it into something slimy and fatty, but in Texas they took brisket and learned how to make a righteous meal out of it!
G . T a t a r

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Ian Dorin » November 1st, 2019, 11:58 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 4:37 am
The real question is whether the quality of the meat has declined as that was the main reason to go. I haven’t been in well over a decade (too much of a schlep) so I have no idea on whether I would agree with that assessment.
I was last there 12 years ago, and my steak was grey and tough then. The tomato salad was soggy and needed salt. It was a sad meal with mediocre wine is good awful glasses. It was like $2000 for 7 people too.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Gabe Berk

#47 Post by Gabe Berk » November 1st, 2019, 12:47 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
John Morris wrote:
RyanC wrote:

Katz’s >>> Luger’s

I still love Katz’s.

$30 for a deli sandwich and Dr. Browns soda screams tourist trapping, which for the most part it is. Good pastrami at Katz, good steak at Lugers. Both of which are places as a local I wouldn't take a half hour to go to. Taking an out of towner showing them a historic eatery? Yes.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 1st, 2019, 12:52 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 12:47 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
John Morris wrote:

$30 for a deli sandwich and Dr. Browns soda screams tourist trapping, which for the most part it is. Good pastrami at Katz, good steak at Lugers. Both of which are places as a local I wouldn't take a half hour to go to. Taking an out of towner showing them a historic eatery? Yes.
To each his own. I think this is 87% wrong. Price is high no doubt. I'd appreciate your opinion on better pastrami in NYC.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by RyanC » November 1st, 2019, 1:32 pm

I’m with Neal on this. The anti-Katz sentiment is astonishing to me. Is it expensive compared to other sandwiches? Obscenely. But $20 for a massive and delicious and satisfying and famous sandwich is something most of us on this board can do without issue. And who does pastrami better? There must be someone but it also must be a small group. (I do agree that all non-pastrami food at Katz’s should be avoided.)

Luger’s is totally different (and I’m sort of a Luger’s defender): I can off the top of my head name 20 (maybe more) steaks I prefer.
C@ughey

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 1st, 2019, 1:34 pm

RyanC wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 1:32 pm
I’m with Neal on this. The anti-Katz sentiment is astonishing to me. Is it expensive compared to other sandwiches? Obscenely. But $20 for a massive and delicious and satisfying and famous sandwich is something most of us on this board can do without issue. And who does pastrami better? There must be someone but it also must be a small group. (I do agree that all non-pastrami food at Katz’s should be avoided.)

Luger’s is totally different (and I’m sort of a Luger’s defender): I can off the top of my head name 20 (maybe more) steaks I prefer.
I'm just excited I am about to learn of all the places that have better pastrami than Katz! Cuz apparently Katz' only rates a "good." So definitely excited to learn.

Return to “Wine Talk”