Split System Help

I need some Split System advice. We installed a Cellarmate 5700 with the SLP slim evaporator in late 2011. We have had a slow freon leak for the past two years and have added about 1lb of freon each year. The latest diagnostic shows that we need to replace the outdoor condenser as the system won’t hold the freon now. We have been told that the freon type we use is being regulated out of existence - I believe it is R22.

My questions are: Do we just replace condenser with like condenser that uses R22 freon?

Is there a better whole system unit to replace with?

Do current spit systems all use R22?

We would love to know you smart winos opinions. We live near the coast in Florida, so durability and efficiency are important.

I wouldn’t replace a condenser with one that doesn’t use available freon. Even if the service tech has a stash of 22, it won’t be cheap and it probably won’t be available again. I’ve been down this road before.

Don’t get yourself into a situation that hinges on R22 unless the current fix is cheap and will last you for years rather than months - it will be against the law to produce or import from January so supply will be restricted to already manufactured R22 and reclaimed R22, and presumably cost will start going up dramatically.

I would replace the system with a CellarPro. No current system should be using R22. CellarPro uses R134a (and I imagine most other brands do too). Ironically R134a is on a phaseout schedule for certain systems (mainly auto) but the production ban is not happening like it is with R22.

Thanks. That is my big concern. It looks like the CellarPro 6000 could work. The evaporator is bigger but would still fit over the door. I hope to look at a few more options.