TN: 1999 Jean-Michel Gerin Côte-Rôtie Champin le Seigneur

• 1999 Jean-Michel Gerin Côte-Rôtie Champin le Seigneur - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/27/2019)
    Darker, almost opaque garnet hue. Nose of black pepper, smoke, black plum, damp cellar. Well-delineated layers of plum, brambles, beef blood, licorice, and black pepper on the palate. Ample acidity and mildly filed off tannin. Long finish of mulberry, blackberry, smoky currant, and stony grip. Oh so satisfying, a complete and beautifully integrated wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for sharing your note. That is a beautiful wine, and your note has prompted me to open on soon.

Thanks again

Todd,

I really enjoyed it. Please post notes on your experience if able.

Cheers,
Doug

I always thought of Gerrin as a modernist producer, but this sounds like traditional Cote Rotie to me. I used to see these a lot in the 1990’s, but not so much lately at all.

Markus,

That’s what I have heard and read also, but then again I am not a frequent sampler of Northern Rhone wines. This bottle thankfully did not have any oak influence that I could detect. It was a soulful wine. Waiting 20 years after the vintage certainly did no harm.

Cheers,
Doug