TN: 2017 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Rocky Knoll

2017 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Rocky Knoll - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (10/27/2019)
Bright, fresh zin berry fruit with herbs and spices, and a touch of kirsch. This is just plain fun. Drink now and have a good time.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note as always David. At this point, I’m positive I like LL wines better earlier vs. Later. Havent tried a 17 yet but getting into my 15’s here shortly.

I’ve been holding the LL Rocky Knoll’s longer. Still have 14, 15 and 16 sleeping in the cellar.

Imho, the 14 Rocky Knoll is ready to go right now. Had it not long ago and felt like prime time (maybe even backend of prime time). All the 13’s (with the exception of the 1023) consumed within the last few months feel like they’ve lost a couple steps.

My plan is to drink all my LL’s within 5 years, with maybe the 1023 being the exception.

I definitely prefer LL younger. The exuberance is a lot of fun. The alcohol sometimes peeks out a bit too much with more bottle age.

Had my last 13’ 1023 in September and it was VERY good. I am holding back on the Syrah’s, Hail Mary’s, and Syrah/Grenache blend to get a little more age on them. I stopped buying due to the price increases and the shipping costs around the 16’ vintage. Great wines, price increases pushed me to other wineries.

I think the Rocky Knoll’s and 1910s can go 6-7 years. Going to find out soon about that.

I’m actually in the same boat. No longer a buyer due to pricing, but still have a decent amount in the cellar I’m going through. My original plan was to give them some cellar time as well…but for my tastes, I haven’t enjoyed how they have aged. 1023 was the only 2013 that I thought was still in a great spot after consuming most of their offerings within the last few months. So far 2014s have been good but I’m trying to finish them up as quickly as possible and move onto the 15’s. Others may feel differently, but that’s been my experience.

Gotta drink something while all the Bedrock ages. :wink:

[drinkers.gif]

Ha ha! Wiser words have never been spoken my friend :wink:

Great to have all the thoughts compiled about the cuvee on this thread. I have one 2015 that I have been debating when to drink. When I had it 15 months ago, it knocked my socks off and ended up being the #4 wine of my California trip in which 496 wines total (and a lot of non-Californians) were tasted:

"2015 Limerick Lane Rocky Knoll Zin

15.2% This is special in the nose—fruit and cocoa with some mocha and sandalwood. And this is shudderlicious on the palate. Acid, earth, plum and boysenberry fruit, with everything in wonderful harmony. I can’t stop drinking it, had to take a bottle. 94, one of the best Zins I’ve had in a long, long time, and one of the better wines of the whole trip."

Sad thing is there was a point in time where LL had the highest number of bottles in my cellar. I’ve been slowly drinking down my inventory of them. I drank through most of my 14s with the exception of the Hail Mary, Rocky Knoll, Syrah/Grenache and Syrah Headpruned Block. The 13’ syrah headpruned block I last opened in January of 18’ and it was drinking spectacularly. I decided to hold my last two from 13’ back hoping the extra age would be beneficial.