"What the . . . Where TF did this come from?"

Shifting and sorting and reorganizing in the cellar, I came upon a number of bottles for which there are no credible explanations. There has never been a time in my life when I would buy this malvasia, and there is no plausible set of circumstances in which anyone might have given it to me. All told, I have a half dozen of these obscure, cheap anomalies. I can only assume that at some point, looking for safety, they formed a gang and broke into my cellar, then buried themselves under mountains of wine I might actually drink.

Is this a common threat to domestic security confronting wine lovers worldwide, or have I been singled out for this heinous form of home invasion?

When we moved 2 years ago I found a dozen bottles I have no clue about, so assuming my wife or her family left them in there after a holiday visit or some such. Also found a couple things I had completely forgotten about as a lot of wood boxes were double deep, but found a 6 pack of Penfolds Bin 707 and a 6 pack of Faiveley Clos des Corton magnums, so that made me feel better about the random crap that I found.

“Completely forgot about” is one thing. Happens all the time. In fact, at my age, it happens with increasing frequency as grey cells go dark one by one.

But seriously, there is absolutely zero chance I bought these wines, and who would bring me a $10 malvasia? Not a chance.

I forgot about the 2 6-packs, the other 12 were Moscatos and inexpensive Cali Pinot and there is less than zero chance I put there.

Drunken Garagiste plunders?

LOL, Garagiste was my first thought! And these do have that garagiste “the Petrus of the Balearic Islands” stench. But while I absolutely bought crazy stuff from them, not in my most impressionable state would I have purchased these.

I did not gift it to you cause I don’t even know what it is!

EXACTLY my point

I usually find such bottles after a holiday party at my home. Many of my friends are lovely people with little taste in wine.

By definition, my friends have no taste at all, but I am 100% certain this is not the explanation.

Fortunately, bottle #1 was just what we needed for the short ribs on the menu for tonight.

This is the wine equivalent of TPing someone’s house

Now that is some funny shite!

So where are the half dozen bottles that you are missing. Seems like a switcharoo, they were possibly hoping your heirs would find them before you.

Perhaps a real estate agent gifted it to you after purchasing your vacation home?

[snort.gif]

Sounds familiar. Likely wines I bought to comp a tasting fee at a winery I visited while on vacation and the wine wasn’t horrible… [head-bang.gif]

Have you ever lost a set of keys? A favorite pen or, considering a $10 Malvasia, a cheap one? Transmogrification, baby!

Wine has alcohol in it. Sometimes that leads to shit you don’t remember

I feel some evil brewing…

You are not the only wine lover worldwide, myself included, who is affected by mysterious cellar infiltrations, but you are the first one who openly raised this issue, Neal. Therefore, I would suggest that we name it the “Mollen Phenomenon”.
BTW, I was shocked recently when I saw a Saint-Emilion with 14,5% alcohol in my cellar. No clue how this could happen. [scratch.gif]