What’s wrong with me - I don’t like zin anymore

Popped open a bottle of 2012 Ridge Lytton Springs last night. My note on my last bottle in April sung its praises. Bottle last night was grapey and not enjoyable. Not any apparent flaws, but I didn’t like it. I checked my recent zin notes over the past few months and found similar experiences. An overt “grapeiness” which I just didn’t like. I think I’m growing tired of zins and don’t like the flavor profile anymore. Wondering if I just need a break or if this is just my tastes changing. Anyone else go through this with the same varietal? Hope it’s temporary as zin has always been my “go to” for reasonably priced reds which drink well.

I am not a big Zin fan. But I do find if I drink the same type of wine repeatedly I get bored with it and find it less interesting or even one dimensional. If I switch to something else for a while. Then when I come back I find the earlier wine more interesting and engaging again. All underscores the importance of having a diverse cellar.

I was just going to post a similar observation about Zin. I’m not sure we are getting away from them for the same reason. But I have noted that over the last year all of my fav Zins are just not offering me the same pleasure as they used to ('14 Carlisle Montafi being an excellent example from last week). Aromas less interesting and the palates are not as lively and smoothly balanced as I recall.
The only ones I have really enjoyed over the last year have actually been from Linne Calodo, yeah I know, not a board favorite.

Nothing.
Happened to me over fifteen years ago. Life progresses.

For me it depends on the bottle. Some of my favorite producers had some so so years. Then I open another bottle and wow. I plan to stay the course.

Scotty, try a few more, don’t base it off the Lytton. I actually think Lytton took a turn to more ripeness and more oak, especially in that 2009-12 period. I totally stopped buying Lytton, only buy Geyserville now. Bedrock scratches my Zin itch these days.

Palate shift. Shift happens!

Lots of other factors may be involved eapecially food pairing or other palate impacting factors or fatigue. One data sample is hard to make a conclusion on. Speaking from someone who agrees that zin is one dimensional and grapy. :wink:

For us there is one direct relationship we have noticed. As a producer increases the amount of petite Syrah in their Zinfandel the less we like the zin. This is particularly the case when that ps is super ripe.

Just take a break. I went through an “I don’t like zin anymore” phase several years ago, and then came back to it.

Heck, earlier this year I went through a phase where no Pinot Noir based wine did anything for me.

It happens.

As for Lytton, Alfert can have his opinion, but I think he’s dead wrong.

Not a huge fan and never really have been. To be frank, I have very little experience with aged zins so I bought some 20+ year old stuff to try but it hasn’t arrived. I’ll give it a chance.

Along with Bedrock, Once and Future.

The other I would throw out there is Talty, in Dry Creek. Consistently my favorite Zin, and very much a “Zin for Bordeaux Lovers”. Though it does take a good 5-6 years for the oak to integrate, the wait is worth it. And if you drink them sooner than that I still find them to be wonderful, and the oak is definitely less prominent than on a typical Ridge.

#1. Drank it a lot now I can’t drink it.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it’s just some zin fatigues mixed in with a few less than stellar bottles. I’ve got a wide collection of other stuff I can drink…was just pulling these as so much of my other stuff needs more age.

I’ve been drinking zinfandels since I discovered a 1979 Lytton Springs (before Ridge) that I opened in 1983.

Occasionally after drinking too much zin I’ll switch to a pinor noir for something different. (Cabernet flavor profile is too similar.)

But, I always go back to zins.

I still enjoy Zins. Carlisle, Ridge, Turley, and Rafanelli are our favorites. Lots of different styles in that mix, which helps.

This thread prompted me to pop a 2017 Bedrock Dolinsek Ranch Heritage. Flat out delicious, I defy you not to like it. My wife, who rarely comments on red wine, is loving it. Quite aromatic, very bright and peppery red fruits.

Dolinsek is amazing.

I’m still enjoying zinfandel…either young and aggressive or aged and claret style. The grape I’m fearful of opening these days is Cabernet…the grape that seduced me thirty years ago. I have a real problem enjoying Napa Cab these days…the tannin, the alcohol, the “iron fist” seem to bore me and I have trouble after the first glass.

Hi Scott,

So, what it sounds like is that your palate just got a lot better🤣