Dom Perignon 2006 and Palmer 1966

The Dom was lovely, as usual. It has been described many times on this board, and it is a beautifully made complex Champagne, and not that far behind the amazing 2008.

Palmer was a very different animal. The fruit had all but gone, and the wine was tiring, but still hanging on. The tertiary flavors were radically different from the usual forest floor notes. The dominant flavor was of ginger, something I had never encountered in a wine before. Secondary notes of a fine shoe polish (not unpleasant) leather and spices.

A note about the condition; the cork was slightly depressed and when I pulled it, there was a weird jelly like grape stuff adhering to it which transferred to my hands, and took some effort to wash off. I bought it for a fraction of its normal value from one of my dealers, because of the cork.

Overall, I liked rather than loved the wine, and it was certainly a slightly sub par bottle. I am going to pull a bottle from storage for Thanksgiving, as I am curious to compare.

The last bottle I had of 1966 Palmer was oxidized but five years ago I opened an Army & Navy Stores bottle that was flat out stunning.

I have a bottle of Palmer 1966 that I am going to drink soon. The fill is high neck so not perfect. Color and condition appears OK.
The last bottle I had from this lot was absolutely stunning. Great fruit and silky texture. A wine of grace. Hoping for the same when I drink it soon.

Great notes thanks. I opened an 06 Dom last night and it was excellent. Best bottle I’ve had of it.

Thanks Mark for the Palmer and lunch. I didn’t get the ginger, but definitely thought it an interesting bottle, with the leather, spice, and a slight feral note. A bit tired, but still plenty to offer.

I’m assuming this is a typo and you mean high shoulder (which is pretty normal for 50+). High neck would be amazing.

Yes. High shoulder. Sorry.