2019 Heritage Blind Tasting Competition

Alas, I didn’t make it to the finals this year but managed what I consider an entirely respectable 4th place with 245 points. Jay Hack was in 5th (unless I tied with someone) at 240 points.

Unfortunately they didn’t let us keep our booklets this year so I had to go by memory for my guesses and I didn’t recall most of the vintages.

Tasting conditions were not ideal as it was a warm, very humid day and the venue had no air conditioning. Instead doors were open to the street letting in the humidity and the street noise.

Wine 1

Always go with your first guess. First wine and I was convinced it was Burgundy, probably Chambolle. But then I got to wine #4 and was even more certain that one was Burgundy so I changed my guess. This and Wine #4 were far and away my favorites. Bright,complex, red fruited.

My guess: 1990 Felsina Fontalloro
The wine: 2002 Daniel Rion, Echezeaux

Wine 2

Boring, sort of bleh-ish wine. As always when I have no idea and I don’t like it I guessed Chateauneuf de Pape. Not overripe so I went with

My guess: Clos des Papes Chateauneuf de Pape
The wine: 1990 Chapoutier Hermitage Sizeranne

This makes sense. Is there a more boring producer in the N. Rhone than Chapoutier? I don’t think so.

Wine 3

Ripe, fleshy, did not care for this one either as you can see from my guess.

My guess: Flowers Pinot Noir
The wine: 1997 Marcarini Barolo Brunate

Wine 4

This one was obviously Burgundy and reminded me very strongly of a Lafarge I had opened a few weeks previous.

My guess: Lafarge Volnay Chateau de Clos des Ducs
The wine: 1978 Pichon Lalande

Lovely, lovely, wine.

Wine 5

Struck me as a good, albeit a bit four square Bordeaux.

My guess: Beychevelle
The wine: 1995 Chateau Certan de May

Wine 6

I liked this one as well. Spicy with berry fruit so

My guess: Ridge Geyserville
The wine: 1997 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon

Wine 7

Very nice layered aged cabernet. Reminded me of some older Dunns I’ve had.

My guess: Dunn Howell Mountain
The wine: 1980 Dunn Cabernet, Napa

Wine 8

This wine had a slight spritz and smelled overwhelmingly of sulphur. Obviously some young white Burgundy which was oversulphered out of fear of premox.

My guess: Coche Dury
The wine: 2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Huh? I’ve had the 2004 at least a half dozen times and this seemed really atypical to me. On the other hand other people (including Jay H) correctly guessed Comtes. So what do I know?

Anyway, loads of fun as usual and nice to say hi to a number of familiar NYC wine geek faces.

Nice work Jay and I appreciate the humility of sharing your misses. It’s amazing how confident one be, and yet still be so wrong (red burgundy instead of Boudreaux, white burgundy instead of champagne). While also doing a bit of dart throwing and being directionally correct (CndP versus Chapoutier).

What are the odds, I’ve had 4 of the bottles on this list! I recently also made a putz of myself by guessing Pinot on a 97 Barolo blind, so sympathize with you on that one. Thanks for the notes!

Bravo! It’s always humbling when getting the varietal off, but all the more fun to try again.

Fun tasting Jay. Your guesses were logical. And there’s always next year!

Thank you for sharing, it was fun to read!