Fires in Sonoma...again - Geyserville

A fast-moving wildfire aided by powerful winds in Northern California’s wine country has prompted mandatory evacuation orders in Geyserville, an area of Sonoma County 75 miles north of San Francisco.

The Kincade Fire had spread to 10,000 acres by early Thursday, with no containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The department issued red flag warnings for the area, a critical alert for when weather conditions such as high heat, low humidity, lightning strikes and strong winds could result in intense and quick-burning fires.

Hoping for the best for everyone!

Kincade Fire in the Mayacamas Mtns. Mandatory evacs in place. Hope everyone up there (and family/friends) are safe.

This is opening old wounds for lots of people in the North Bay.

Hoping for the best for everyone. Scary.

I step out on my front porch and not a whisper of wind and I’m only 12miles South. So eerie. 65° outside @ 6:30 am with 26% humidity.

When my friends from the East Coast ask why these fires are so furious and deadly I tell them “Picture Hurricane Sandy without rain”. That really is the only difference. We have fires out here all the time just like other places in the US during “normal” conditions. Fire departments put the fire out in a short time, end of fire but when these Canyon winds occur a simple brush fire literally becomes an inferno. It becomes unstoppable until the winds become more manageable.

Tom
PS: We lived in NJ when Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012

Sunday looks scary, be safe everyone

A friend was evacuating over night … photos of the fire which was still far away - were scary.

Geyserville’s forecast isn’t showing wind Sunday like you’re going to have over the hill. Not yet anyhow.

Some of my best two wheel trips have included runs thru Jimtown and AV. My heart goes out to these people there.

9:45am temp rising humidity plummeting.
F8A15F26-D89B-4566-B283-0653D4CD287D.jpeg

It never got below 75* in Sonoma Valley last night. And the wind was howling. Not looking forward to Sun/Mon.

Looks like AME/Stonestreet Estate Vineyards are getting hit pretty hard, keep seeing blocks on the news I used to visit with my wife who was formerly the Assistant Winemaker there.

This from 128 before you hit Chalk Hill where they detour traffic.

5AFDE860-D4E3-49AE-849F-85A2B7EA13C4.jpeg

Smoke is expected to make its way to the Bay Area starting tomorrow morning.

Finished up a hike at Foothill Regional Park about an hour ago. At the Alta Vista lookout looking North you could see the clouds of smoke moving due West. In downtown Windsor it’s still clear, no smoke though that is likely to change.

Crazy but looking out West from the Alta Vista lookout Windsor is clear but well beyond around Guerneville there is a huge clouds of smoke. The smoke going due West and then turning South as it gets close to the Pacific.

Wind direction is likely to change during the day.

Tom

I am perplexed that the state doesn’t clear brush in these areas. Its sad to see these fires devastate every year.

PG&E cut the power off too before the fire even started out there. Really hope this fire gets contained soon and mother nature helps with the winds dying down and humidity rising. Feel horrible for those affected. October has been unrelenting in NorCal the past 3 years…

Jeff, the area where this “Kincaid” fire started is DESOLATE. Even a experienced hiker would have trouble hiking to the area where this fire started no less have brush cleared.
The problem is with 60 MPH winds the fire goes from desolate to populated pretty damn quick.

Tom

New incident in Marin, just north of Muir beach #MuirFire.

Looks like the wind is offshore at the moment, so that’s something positive.