Tariff on wines carried on planes?

Has anyone brought in wines through check-in luggage on international flights into JFK Airport since October 18? Was there an increase in tax?

FWIW, I have not yet seen an update to the US Customs travel page. They have explanations for some prior tariff implementations, but have not gotten to this one yet.

There should still be a 2 bottle per person duty free exemption unless they changed the duty free allowance.

The allowance is 1 Liter per the US Customs website.

But of course traditionally any wine brought back from vacation has been waved through given the miniscule duties that would have been due. We’re all waiting to see if that changes with the new tariffs.

Right.

I think it will be a little while before we really know.

And again, it’s a liter of alcohol, not a liter of any liquid that contains any alcohol. So don’t worry for a few bottles.

Try again…from the US Customs site:

“One American liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your returning resident personal exemption…”

It’s not a “liter of alcohol” as you state.

Yes, but we need a trail blazer or two to bring home a six pack and share their experience. Before my Christmas trip to London, please. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think the real answer here is you’re given a duty free allowance. If you declare the wine to CBP upon arrival in excess of the duty free amount, they may or may not decide to collect the taxes on the wine. From past experience they just wave you through. I really don’t see that changing.

Hopefully not, but previously the duty on most cases of wine would have been about $1 whereas now it could easily be 100x that. So they have more of an incentive to spend time on it.

How will they know what to charge? Is it a law to keep your retail receipts? Some sort of dumbfoundingly massive database? Some sort of default tariff? Actual tariffs must be based on reported prices communicated by an importer. Why can’t an individual just say $5 or $10/bottle? A case might then generate a whopping $15 - $30.

RT

I will be going to London, France and parts of Asia soon. Will bring in cases each trip. Let’s see what happens.

Apparently you are supposed to have your receipts on hand. I’ve never done this:

What to Expect When You Return
Complete the CBP Declaration Form 6059B
You have several entry options once you return from your trip. All travelers must complete a CBP Declaration Form 6059B itemizing all purchased merchandise and agricultural products.

Here are your options:

Complete a paper form that may be obtained at the port of entry or on the flight or cruise.
Complete the online form at a Global Entry kiosk. (Only preapproved Global Entry members are allowed to use these kiosks.)
Complete the online form at an Automated Passport Control kiosk.
Keeping all your purchase receipts handy in an envelope in your carry-on bag will ease this process. If warranted, the CBP officer will calculate the duties to pay on your newly acquired goods.

Yep. You are supposed to keep receipts for good personally imported.

Legit question. Not trying to circumvent the system. If someone gifts me bottles of wines and I bring them in through checkin luggage, do I need a note from the person that gifted me the wines?

I’m going to London next month and was planning on taking a couple of bottles for a dinner. Will I be charged tariff by the (not so) UK?

Your duty free allowance is 4 liters of still wine and 2 liters of sparkling. Exceed that and you will have to pay duty and VAT.

The above is correct to the letter of the law.

I highly doubt you will have to pay anything if you exceed it by 1 or 2 litres. I have done this probably 15 times now with 6-9 bottles, and I’m always waved through. Make sure you go through the red lane to declare it though - you’ll be in far more trouble if you get caught not doing so.

I understand that if it’s less than 10GBP of duty, the customary rule is that they don’t bother.

I believe it’s value, not "price paid. Price paid is usually a good measure of value, but if you say “I paid nothing” I don’t think that will fly.