seems like 06 red burgs have tightened up lately...

just a couple of observations. When 06 was released it always struck me as a little soft and it seemed like the vintage always drank fairly well and never shut down. From village->grand cru were always drinking well. Well enough that I tended to get through them as I didn’t think they were built to last.

I came across some in the cellar recently and this week I popped 06 Meo Camuzet Clos Vougeot-showed higher acid than I recall from previous bottles delivered a nice freshness but the palate was also leaner than I recall from the past. Some red/cranberry fruit, but again lacking the depth of past bottles.

Last night I gave a friend some choices and he picked 06 Potel Bonnes Mares-again lean and tight. Was not giving up much. Pleasant, but not terribly interesting.

I was actually planning on opening 06 DRC 1er this week, but given my recent showings of 06 my plan has changed. Not sure what I’m going to open, but it will not be 2006. My remaining 06s will be sleeping for several more years.

cheers

-paul

Thanks Paul for sharing the experience. Do others have similar experience?

Was thinking of opening a Mugneret Gibourg Clos Vougeot next week.

Yes; 06 angerville champans was super tight recently. In my experience 07 and 08 are drinking better.

Michael, which 08 Marquis D’Angerville wines have you had recently?

2008 Champans was nice recently. 07 was drinking better, though. I should’ve pulled the trigger on the 08 Champans from wine cellarage; they had it by the case for $88/btl, less 10%, but now it’s more bc of the tarrifs.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Michael, that was useful.

Will try a 08 d’Angerville taillepieds and let the 06 MG to rest.

I opened a 2006 Dujac Combottes last month and it was great. Not quite utterly wide open but showing a lot and extremely enjoyable. Good enough that I pulled another 2006 - Hudelot Noellat Clos Vougeot - to try soon. I’ll report on that when I get to it.

I haven’t found them too tight at all Paul.

Over the course of this year we have looked at the following '06’s:

DRC Richebourg
A.F Gros Richebourg
Rouget Cros Parantoux
Liger-Belair Reignots
Jacques Cacheaux Crois Rameaux
Gros F&S Echezeaux
Eugenie Clos Vougeot
Cathiard Malconsorts

I can’t recall thinking that any of them was shut down, in fact they were all really expressive.

Cheers
Jeremy

06 Voillot Fremiets recently was showing deserving of more time.

Hi Paul,

FWIW I sampled 06 Mugnier NSG Clos de la Marechale for the first time recently and it was very open and enjoyable.

Cheers,
Doug

Usually I do not open Burgs at age 12-13 years - the 2006s are in the bottle for app. 11 years now, usually too young.

Last week I was served a 2006 Village (fine producer) that was not closed but also nowhere near any maturity, quite primary and fruit-driven … and definitely too young for my taste. But it was kind of accessably and not closed.

FWIW: Last Saturday I helt a tasting of 24 wines from the 90ies: 8 Bordeaux, 8 Burgundies, 8 Rhones from 1990 to 1999, always 8 different vintages for each region. Of course well chosen, leaving out 2 vintages each, usually the smaller ones (so no 94 Burg) …
Almost all wines were in an excellent to very fine state of maturity, drinking with great pleasure, and not always the great vintages were the best to drink. If there maybe was a bottle still too young, it was a 1990 Bx or a 95 or 98 Burg … 1991/92/97 did great …

So far about drinking 2006 now (no matter what and from where) …
20-30 years is usually a good spot …

Some 06s are drinking well like some of the villages wines and even a few 1er Crus like the Marquis D’Angerville 1er Cru Volnays but they are more the exception, and I would not go anywhere near any of the Grands Cru for a decade.

Here in the UK, foolishly, I released some 2006 Chevillon NSG 1er Cru Cailles from the Wine Society recently, luckily only three bottles from a case of 12, a wine which they claimed was past its drinking window of 2011-2017! It is a good five years away from reaching its plateau.

P.S. there is a clear bias towards estimating early drinking windows for obvious reasons

[swearing.gif]

You’re lucky to have that though. NSG is probably my favorite Burgundy region in 2006.

Next time we cross paths Jay I will have one in my suitcase. I was in NYC last week but for less than a day.

drank all mine early as they were mostly ready to go and soft as op stated
i really liked this vintage back then

I agree, that had been my experience as well. Could be just a couple of stray data points that came together, but it is enough that I won’t pop another 06 for a while.

I still have some 00,03 which have been very approachable.

Cheers
-paul

Had ‘06 Harmand Mazis Chambertin and Cathiard Malconsorts recently, they were drinking fine.

FWIW I opened a 2006 Chevillon Chaignots a few weeks back and regretted not waiting longer. There seems to be a good amount of upside

A Chevillon that’s not ready? That’s unpossible! :slight_smile:

I’ve had a few 06s in the past year, most recently the Clos de Marechale, and they were good to go for me.