A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
F.Daner

A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#1 Post by F.Daner » October 21st, 2019, 2:46 pm

What an awesome Sunday we had at Frog's Leap. We tasted on the back porch of the Vineyard house on a beautiful day. I highly recommend visiting. I'll add some more notes to this. They are quite generous and happy to open library wines. In addition, we tasted the 12, 08 Cabernet and 03 Merlot which was a real treat.
  • 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/21/2019)
    Tasted at Frog's Leap winery. Consistent with the house style this is a mid weight classically made Rutherford Cabernet. Bright deep nose of dark cherry and a bit of plum. Similar notes on the palate with moderate tannin and acidity. This has some nice depth and complexity now and a clean bright finish. This drinks well now but given a few more years I expect it will pick up a bit of weight and depth. We also tasted the 12 and 08 which were wonderful. If you're looking for more classically made Cabernet with little oak influence and not over ripe flavors then Frog's Leap is for you. It's also a terrific value especially at the club price of $55. Excellent and recommended. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Fred

Peter C.

Re: A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#2 Post by Peter C. » November 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks for the note. I picked up a 375ml to try tonight with flat iron steak.
( z y ® y ( @

Peter C.

Re: A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#3 Post by Peter C. » November 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Damn this is great juice. Thanks for the note which I largely agree with!

Reminds me of a slightly less stern and structured Mayacamas Cabernet. Just a hint of green bell pepper if you really want to critique it but this is one of the best $50ish Cali Cabernets I’ve ever tasted.
( z y ® y ( @

F.Daner

#4 Post by F.Daner » November 23rd, 2019, 3:55 am

Good to hear you enjoyed Peter. I really expect this to improve with time and pick up a bit of weight. I'm going to be buying some back vintages that are still out there. Worth joining the mailing list as well for pricing and access to library wines.
Peter C. wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Reminds me of a slightly less stern and structured Mayacamas Cabernet. Just a hint of green bell pepper if you really want to critique it but this is one of the best $50ish Cali Cabernets I’ve ever tasted.
Fred

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am

Peter C. wrote:

That’s actually a good thing to some of us! Remember classic Togni?

I like this wine as well, except it was around $65 to me locally.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

F.Daner

#6 Post by F.Daner » December 15th, 2019, 1:07 pm

RoberT- Luekens in Tampa has it for $55 which is around the wine club price if you make it over this way.
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am
Peter C. wrote:

Fred

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris Seiber » December 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm

What’s the deal with visiting?

F.Daner

#8 Post by F.Daner » December 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am

Do you mean in general ? We had a great visit from when I posted this original note. Rory Williams reached out as well to connect but unfortunatley we just missed him. He offered to show us around and we'll definetly take him up on that when we visit next year.

Had the 16 from half bottle this week. It was just singing. Great wine.
Chris Seiber wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Fred

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Chris Seiber » December 22nd, 2019, 6:49 am

F.Daner wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am
Do you mean in general ? We had a great visit from when I posted this original note. Rory Williams reached out as well to connect but unfortunatley we just missed him. He offered to show us around and we'll definetly take him up on that when we visit next year.

Chris Seiber wrote:
Yeah, just what’s the general deal? Walk in, appointment, both? Fee? What do you get to taste? How long are you there? Give us the scoop. Thanks.

F.Daner

#10 Post by F.Daner » December 22nd, 2019, 8:53 am

I would make an appt but if you go off season and not a weekend you might be able to walk in. They do charge a fee but ours was waived as we bought wine and joined the wine club. We did the patio tasting which you do need to reserve. This is from memory but believe we tasted

Current release SB, Chard, Merlot, Zin and Cabernet along with a few library wines:
2003 Merlot- excellent, reminded me of an older bdx.
2008 Cabernet- very good.
and I think an older Cab. They had several library wines open and were very generous. Also repours if requested.

The winery is a beautiful location to taste and walk the grounds at your leisure. Overall I highly recommend especially if you prefer wines more classically made.

Cheers
Chris Seiber wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 6:49 am
F.Daner wrote:

Chris Seiber wrote:
Yeah, just what’s the general deal? Walk in, appointment, both? Fee? What do you get to taste? How long are you there? Give us the scoop. Thanks.
Fred

Peter Valiquette

#11 Post by Peter Valiquette » December 22nd, 2019, 5:51 pm

Local Costco had this wine for $45 and it is a bargain at that price.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Chris Seiber » December 22nd, 2019, 8:54 pm

F.Daner wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 8:53 am
I would make an appt but if you go off season and not a weekend you might be able to walk in. They do charge a fee but ours was waived as we bought wine and joined the wine club. We did the patio tasting which you do need to reserve. This is from memory but believe we tasted

Current release SB, Chard, Merlot, Zin and Cabernet along with a few library wines:
2003 Merlot- excellent, reminded me of an older bdx.
2008 Cabernet- very good.
and I think an older Cab. They had several library wines open and were very generous. Also repours if requested.

The winery is a beautiful location to taste and walk the grounds at your leisure. Overall I highly recommend especially if you prefer wines more classically made.

Cheers
Chris Seiber wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 6:49 am
F.Daner wrote:

Thanks, Fred. That sounds really nice.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Andrew Demaree » December 22nd, 2019, 9:43 pm

Here’s a link to their various tastings: https://www.frogsleap.com/visit.php

My wife and I visited there a few years ago and had a nice time. It’s a lovely property. The tour is highly informative for those who might be less knowledgeable about vineyard practices and winemaking.

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by tpetty » December 23rd, 2019, 8:35 pm

We've been club members there for years. One of our favorites.
T o d d *** P e t t y

Roy Piper

#15 Post by Roy Piper » December 24th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Great farming there.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

F.Daner

#16 Post by F.Daner » January 14th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Robert- Total Wine, ABC and Leukens have it for $50 in Tampa. Have to think TW and ABC should have in Orlando. I've retasted and conitnue to add when I see it.
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am
Peter C. wrote:

Fred

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 14th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Will check it out this weekend.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by J. Singleton » March 4th, 2020, 5:59 pm

I still think this is one of the best examples of what a classic Napa cabernet can be. I’ve had this wine 5 or 6 times now. I just am finishing up a bottle that’s been vacuum seal three times this week. I gets better and better with the good kind of green coming through. Light in its feet, low oak, and a steal at $44. I need to pick up a case for the long haul.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Thomas DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Thomas DeBiase » March 7th, 2020, 6:17 pm

tpetty wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:35 pm
We've been club members there for years. One of our favorites.
I'm drowning in great wine.. but I'm a wine club member at exactly one winery in Northern California, and it's Frog's Leap. The wines are just C-L-A-S-S-I-C.
Thomas DeBiase
More Soul on this Train than Don Cornelius
I sell Idlewild wines by day, and run around like a drunk vigilante in Batman underoos by night.

Robert Pavlovich

#20 Post by Robert Pavlovich » March 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Had a gift card for Total Wine to use, and this is the wine I went with, even surprising myself (to be buying CA Cab). Ended up buying two.

F.Daner

#21 Post by F.Daner » March 15th, 2020, 12:41 pm

I now have had the Zin and Merlot as well and all top notch. I'll continue to add to my stash of 16 and look forward to trying the 17.
Fred

Rory Williams

#22 Post by Rory Williams » March 16th, 2020, 6:41 am

F.Daner wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 12:41 pm
I now have had the Zin and Merlot as well and all top notch. I'll continue to add to my stash of 16 and look forward to trying the 17.
Cheers Fred, I'm glad you are digging the wines. I hope you enjoy the '17 Cab when you get a chance to try it, my dad and I are very happy with how the wine came together.

Rory
Calder/Frog's Leap/Tres Sabores

F.Daner

#23 Post by F.Daner » March 19th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Hi Rory- really hoping we get to see you guys later this year.

Stay safe and we'll do our best to support.
Rory Williams wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 6:41 am
F.Daner wrote:
Cheers Fred, I'm glad you are digging the wines. I hope you enjoy the '17 Cab when you get a chance to try it, my dad and I are very happy with how the wine came together.

Rory
Fred

JWalter

#24 Post by JWalter » March 19th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Was inspired to open a 2016 tonight. Great wine I think the nose is really “classic” as previously stated. Love the more old school California cabs (Dunn, Togni), but curious how this one ages? Does it go the same kind of distance as those wines?

F.Daner

#25 Post by F.Daner » March 20th, 2020, 4:18 am

J- we tasted an 03 Merlot and 05 Cab during our tasting back in Sept and they age wonderfully. I bought an 03 Merlot and will be opening soon. It reminded me of some wonderful older BDX's we've had at Berns in Tampa.
JWalter wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Was inspired to open a 2016 tonight. Great wine I think the nose is really “classic” as previously stated. Love the more old school California cabs (Dunn, Togni), but curious how this one ages? Does it go the same kind of distance as those wines?
Fred

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Dennis Borczon » March 20th, 2020, 4:54 am

JWalter wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Tasted a vertical 2 years ago at the Society of Wine Educators meeting going back to 1996? I believe. These age tremendously along the lines of a classic Bordeaux, only with California youthfulness. John Williams was always a bit of an iconoclast (have met him a few times) and he never wavered from his vision of what these wines should be. He is probably laughing right now (figuratively) and enjoying the fact that his style of wines is suddenly more fashionable. Hemlines go up and down, just like ripeness levels and tons of new oak. Kudos to a producer who stuck to a more classic style and never tried to price their wines in the stratosphere...

F.Daner

#27 Post by F.Daner » June 7th, 2020, 4:51 am

Rory - when is the 17 getting released to the wine club ? Looks like you and your Dad are not the only ones happy with the 17 [cheers.gif]

Had the 16 last night with a small group. It continues to show so well and picks up some additional weight decanting an hour or so. I will most for the 8-10 year mark but really no reason not to enjoy now.
Rory Williams wrote:
F.Daner wrote:

Rory
Fred

Rory Williams

#28 Post by Rory Williams » June 7th, 2020, 12:17 pm

F.Daner wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:51 am
Rory - when is the 17 getting released to the wine club ? Looks like you and your Dad are not the only ones happy with the 17 [cheers.gif]

Had the 16 last night with a small group. It continues to show so well and picks up some additional weight decanting an hour or so. I will most for the 8-10 year mark but really no reason not to enjoy now.
Rory Williams wrote:
F.Daner wrote:

Rory
Hey Fred,

The '17 went out to the club last fall (August or September), I believe, ahead of its broader release. I think it's the '18 that is scheduled for release with this autumn's shipment. Let me know if you think you should have received it but didn't, I can give a heads up to Megan or Nick, who coordinate the fellowship. And thanks! Hopefully folks are enjoying the wine; it is very satisfying to drink it now, after such an uncertain vintage.

Rory

F.Daner

#29 Post by F.Daner » June 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Thanks Rory. I'll reach out to them as I have a few questions. How would you compare the 17 to the 16 ?
Rory Williams wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 12:17 pm
F.Daner wrote:

Rory Williams wrote:

Rory
Hey Fred,

The '17 went out to the club last fall (August or September), I believe, ahead of its broader release. I think it's the '18 that is scheduled for release with this autumn's shipment. Let me know if you think you should have received it but didn't, I can give a heads up to Megan or Nick, who coordinate the fellowship. And thanks! Hopefully folks are enjoying the wine; it is very satisfying to drink it now, after such an uncertain vintage.

Rory
Fred

Rory Williams

#30 Post by Rory Williams » June 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm

F.Daner wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Thanks Rory. I'll reach out to them as I have a few questions. How would you compare the 17 to the 16 ?
Rory Williams wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 12:17 pm
F.Daner wrote:

Hey Fred,

Rory
The '16 is very pretty and top-note right now, definitely equal parts black and red fruit. The palate is equally fruity, but it's starting to close up, and I think the wine could benefit from some air or time to help unfold a bit. The '17 is darker aromatically, more direct and generous right now--same on the palate. I'm mostly very happy about how the texture came together on the '17; we excluded many of the later picks (about 15% total) from the final blend because they were tannic in an unbalanced way. All in all, it will be interesting to see how the two vintages play out over the long haul.

We actually just popped open a bottle of 1982 Cab (fruit from Spottswoode, Wildwood/Spring Mtn and Fay) in our weekly virtual tasting today, and it was alive and kicking, with the whole late-stage VA-lifting-the-fruit thing going on. Our first ever Cab, and only the second time I've tasted it. Hopefully the '16 and '17 make it that far!

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Dan Kravitz » June 13th, 2020, 6:53 pm

This is a great, classic, under-the-radar producer. When I saw the thread, I remembered I wrote a note a few years ago (2017), disinterred it, here it is [price was in a restaurant]:

"1997 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford ($130) - WOTN. This had gorgeous aromas of tender ripe black currant, hints of flowers (roses), a touch of black raspberry and something faintly cedary, almost like somebody blended in some Pauillac. I didn't get any of the famed dust, but didn't miss it. At almost 20 years, the tannins were fully resolved, the aromatics soared as the bottle was consumed, the last sip had something almost ethereal, like a distant Napa version of Haut Brion, with a long, lingering, subtle finish. Ready to drink, rated 95.8."

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

F.Daner

#32 Post by F.Daner » June 14th, 2020, 4:29 am

Thanks Rory for the vintage comparisons. Great info and will be getting some of the 17 to try. Hope to see you in September depending on how things go.
Fred

Return to “Wine Talk”