A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
F.Daner

A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#1 Post by F.Daner » October 21st, 2019, 2:46 pm

What an awesome Sunday we had at Frog's Leap. We tasted on the back porch of the Vineyard house on a beautiful day. I highly recommend visiting. I'll add some more notes to this. They are quite generous and happy to open library wines. In addition, we tasted the 12, 08 Cabernet and 03 Merlot which was a real treat.
  • 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/21/2019)
    Tasted at Frog's Leap winery. Consistent with the house style this is a mid weight classically made Rutherford Cabernet. Bright deep nose of dark cherry and a bit of plum. Similar notes on the palate with moderate tannin and acidity. This has some nice depth and complexity now and a clean bright finish. This drinks well now but given a few more years I expect it will pick up a bit of weight and depth. We also tasted the 12 and 08 which were wonderful. If you're looking for more classically made Cabernet with little oak influence and not over ripe flavors then Frog's Leap is for you. It's also a terrific value especially at the club price of $55. Excellent and recommended. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Fred

Peter C.

Re: A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#2 Post by Peter C. » November 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks for the note. I picked up a 375ml to try tonight with flat iron steak.
( z y ® y ( @

Peter C.

Re: A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

#3 Post by Peter C. » November 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Damn this is great juice. Thanks for the note which I largely agree with!

Reminds me of a slightly less stern and structured Mayacamas Cabernet. Just a hint of green bell pepper if you really want to critique it but this is one of the best $50ish Cali Cabernets I’ve ever tasted.
( z y ® y ( @

Return to “Wine Talk”