TNs--Mike on Mini-Tour--Odds and Ends (Prum, Wines at Fred's, Prager, Closing German Sweetie)

Putting all the odds and ends from the Atlanta trip into this thread.

2001 J.J. Prum Wehlehner Sonnenuhr Ries Spat

Tasted at the end of the D&R tasting, many thanks to Rob for bringing. Real minerally on the nose. Fine flowery setup. My—explodes with fruit—apple and apricot. Maybe a mite too sweet for me, but no denying its expressiveness.

One of the people I really enjoy spending time with on these trips is Fred Schwartz—we share not only a deep interest in wine and affairs of the world, but music as well. I wanted to get some “alone time” with Fred and he was fortunately able to receive me, Jay and Nick at his home in the late afternoon on Sunday. Around some listening–and me playing some on his lovely Steinway–Fred was, as ever, a marvelous wine host.

2015 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Ruchottes

Stylish for sure, and accessible, with baseline pear core and some buttered toast, this is quite silky and has a touch of sweet, but also is missing for me some real extra gear. Very likeable wine, but a memorable keeper? Maybe not as much. Of all the plots Ramonet handles, I think I’ve had the most variation with Ruchottes.

2005 Chateau Leoville Las Cases

Statuesque for sure—lots of mineral and even a kind of ash to the dark berry and currant fruit in the bouquet. Palate finds this still in its infancy, relatively hard to assess where it will end up—there are signs of class and greatness, but it is also tending to a burliness and muscularity right now that might see its way right through the life of the wine. Handle with care and patience, I’d say.

1995 Chateau Angelus

I think this was opened when Fred asked Nick what he’d like to sip at. Sure glad I have a friend who asks the right questions! This has no questions. It’s an ethereally magical drink of wine. Silkily plush red plum and cranberry fruit have equal weight with dabs of cocoa and dust. It’s even better on the tongue, absolutely made me sit up in my chair with how bold yet classy it was at the same time. Sparkles in your mouth, yet glides down the throat with aromatic replays. This is probably the best wine I had on the whole trip and will be in the WOTY discussion. Let’s go with 94, I think.

2016 Prager Federspiel Riesling

Have to admit, didn’t look closely at the label–I had originally intended to take it back with me, but when I substituted another bottle for its slot, I decided to open it with the Szechuan we ordered in. Of all the Prager I’ve had, this was the least prepossessing, a touch sweet on nose and mouth and only a hint of the structure and lines and authority I’ve come to expect. This is the rare one I wouldn’t go back for. Bits of apple and citrus make up the flavour profile.

2007 Chateau La Tour Blanche

This is another one I brought down. From full, I tracked it over 3 days, with a full day’s slow-ox before first served. While it had plenty of sweet lime and apricot flavour, it also had a certain torpidness that very much surprised me, especially from this house, which I’ve characterized in the past as “the fairy princess”. With very few exceptions, this confirms my own definite preference for having Sauternes and Barsacs from halfsies/splits exclusively.

2005 Willi Schafer Graacher Domprobst Ries Beerenauslese

A last pull from Randy on Sunday night, oh my my. This is a real true-blue meditation wine, real maple fudge quality to apple turnover and apricot. Really infuses you. A great end to the weekend, blew the 07 La Tour Blanche out of the water.

Very nice.
Fred is always a great host and wonderful person to share a glass.
I love the 95 Angelus.

Mike’s talked a Big Game these last few years about finally understanding German Riesling and then he writes this…

Our Atlanta Travels were really special. Magical wines with our magical friends. Fred’s House of Music and Bordeaux is what a grown up kid dreams about. Listening to Miles Davis with a '95 Angelus and your good friends on a rainy day in the South is just an utter delight.

That '05 W.S. Beerenauslese was absolutely Banging, by the way. Randy ended our stay with a gold star. Fantastically Rich Apple Pie with lovely balance. When the acid and the mouthful are in harmony with the thickness… Beautiful wine.

Yeah, that’s me. Riesling capriciousness. :slight_smile: Apparently I got it right with the Schafer? flirtysmile

LOL [cheers.gif]

Good to meet you Nick You guys sure did some good drinking that weekend. Glad I was there for some it [cheers.gif]

You were good company, Dennis. We were too. Have a lovely Fall :slight_smile:.