TNs--Mike on Mini-Tour--Saturday night Dinner at Randy and Cris Katz' in Atlanta

As always, my very sincere and heartfelt thanks to Randy and Cris for opening their home not only to me but to all the guests for the evening. Randy ordered in Persian and it was a fun match with many of the wines. So great to see so many people and drink so many fine wines. Hopefully others will chime in with what they tried, I definitely did not get to everything.

1977 Taylor Fladgate VP

Wanted to get to this before it disappeared. Close to ready—very licklicious mix of toffee, nuts and candied raisins. Quite elegant and long. Held on, if only just, through the next day.

1999 Vincent Girardin Corton Charlemagne

No formal note—it wasn’t over the hill, but it was on the toboggan. Still-pleasant pear, apple and some graham cracker nuance, but missing depth and precision I would look for from CC

1996 Niellon Chassagne Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie

A bit oxidized, but not terribly so. Still has good texture and grip, with dried white fruit and some juniper berries at the back. Better 3 years ago but plenty of interest with still-tangy citrus and apple fruit. Still good

2001 Usseglio Cuvee de Mon Aieul

I like the nose—some animal but some chocolate and oatmeal and rich black forest cake. On the tongue, it is still ripe-ish to me, but the richness is very fully complex—fine cherry, strawberry and chocolate, I don’t love it but I do like it, rare enough for a CdP

1977 Chappellet Cab

Almost some soy scents, smoked bacon and lovely nascent blackberry. This needed the hour’s air time. Ohhh—that’s pretty Centred on mocha, coffee and lovely fruit, this just keeps giving life in the mouth. Extraordinary wine and my #2 tonight.

1977 Jordan Cab

Fun contrast here, great sniffs of mint, cocoa, cassis and a bit of motor oil. To taste, it’s tactile and lively, maybe a little one-dimensional but very sunny plum and cherry fruit. Some liked this more than me, this was still very good, just in the shadow of the Chappellet.

1998 Paul Autard CdP Cuvee la Cote Blonde

A touch of cigar to red and black fruit in the nose. This is special. Approaches being luminous. Swirls with fresh fruit and barest hint of pine needle, this is simply delish and as close to Rayas (which I’ve only had once) that I’ve ever come. 91 and my #3 this evening.

1997 Araujo Cab

Out of mag, smoky with some licorice backing. Loads of black fruit underneath. Deep and integrated with lots of fruit, there’s ripeness but not overblown and super-tasty cassis and black raspberry. Still, it seems to have a ceiling. We tried it again the next day and it remained at this level.

1982 Charles Moncaut Clos Vougeots

Some soy—is it corked? Various thoughts around the table. Maybe a little—it still has some fruit and red life. Odd cocoa and cedary notes in the mouth. This is OK, but the slight consensus is that it is indeed off.

1978 Remoissenet Clos St. Denis

Joel brought this and thinks Georges Lignier did the vinification. This is not off. This is shudderlicious. Smells like velvet and pretty grand cru—violets and subtext of red fruit. Wow. THIS is life. Tart but controlled. The focus is amazing and the luminosity is off the charts. Earth and red berry and hint of chestnut. Quest-worthy and WOTN for me.

2005 De Montille Volnay Champans

I carted this down and it is still toddlercide to open. Good full Volnay character with tons of tart red fruit and lots of character but fully undeveloped. A lot of bridled power. Showed that 4 days later it was playing in full. Leave at least 5-7 more years.

2011 Daniel Rion Vosne Romanee

Not bad at all! Good spice and berry fruit. Even some blueberry. Still lean, but drinkable for sure. Chestnut and blue and blackberry fruit. For the year? Very good. Gives me hope for my NSG from this producer.

I didn’t take formal notes on the 2005 Carm which I tried the next day, but it was pretty solid with expressive red and black fruit and a trace of meats and cured leather.