Wines with white truffles

Last night I held a dinner featuring white truffles and wines with members of our wine group. Dinner was a lobster salad, duck prosciutto, and castlevere olives to start; scallop on a bed of wild rice and mushrooms with white truffles; risotto with white truffles; duck confit Hachis Parmentier with white truffles; cheeses. Two plus ounces of white truffles for four guys and three dishes works well.

2004 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee - biscuit nose, toasted nuts, like a top white burgundy. Very nice
2014 Drouhin Meursault Genevrieres - almost clear, not really giving much last night but more open this morning. It should be a really nice wine in a few years
2011 Boillot Corton Charlemagne - nose was a little reserved; full bodied and good length. Probably close to peak.
2005 P. Morey Meursault Perrieres - one of the guys in the group who is very sensitive to oxidation initially thought it was, but after about 15 minutes it just exploded with honey, caramel, butterscotch and grand cru weight. Throughout the night this just kept on going and was certainly one of the wines of the night. Too bad it is my last bottle.
2006 Leflaive Chevalier - Someone mentioned having a bad 2006 Leflaive Chevalier so I thought we should check on my last bottle. The color was good, maybe a tad lighter than the Morey Perrieres, so that was good. It wasn’t oxidized or corked but a strange nose and bitter finish to this. I tasted it again this morning and it hadn’t changed. Not sure I’ve ever had a white burg that showed like this. Strange and very irritating. I should have sent this back to Leflaive with the other 23,000 bottles to be reconditioned.
2001 Confuron Romanee St Vivant - Good color with a spicy brambly nose; not a big wine but nicely balanced. This suffered in comparison to the Ponsot wines.
1999 Ponsot Clos de la Roche - A fairly recently purchased bottle in pristine shape; decanted for three hours. Dark color of the '99 vintage. effusive nose of dark fruits and great depth to this wine. Beautiful texture which continued throughout the night. Years fo life left and one of the best wines I have had recently.
2005 Ponsot Clos de la Roche - Also decanted about three hours ahead. Not quite as dark at the rim as the '99 but darker than the '01 Confuron. This had a spicy mineral nose with a little smoke and wood but not quite as open and dense as the '99. I’m not sure if the six year difference is the reason but this was the 99’s younger brother. A very good wine that probably needs some more time to show all it has.
1983 Yquem i bought a case of 24 half bottles on release for something silly like $25 a bottle and this bottle hasn’t moved since I put the case in storage. A perfect fill with a light caramel color, not as dark as a recent 86. Unctuous, honey, tropical fruits, toasted coconut with a mouth coating finish. A great showing for this.

Nice work Jerry.

That '99 Ponsot CdlR is a ripper. We had the '08 Griotte last night and it showed very nicely.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Wow!!!

Great menu and great notes!

the problem w Jerry’s dinners is that no matter how good the wines are, his food is better. Not a problem when I cook!

How are the truffles this year?

Jerry,

Formal culinary training at some point or passion and trial?

I had to look up Hachis Parmentier, looks like Shepard’s Pie? Pictures look awesome.

Sounds like a wonderful dinner! White truffles and risotto plus white burg is one of my favorite pairings. Did Alan ask for thirds?

I can’t recall one good white burg I’ve had from 06. My N is very limited because I try to avoid the vintage.

What a tragedy the 06 Leflaive’s were.Stopped me from ever going back in the market,although I think its probably time.
I was there with friends tasting in end of 07, beginning of 08, all the wines were in tanks settling out and it was obvious the winemaker f’***ed up.Not sure what they did wrong,but I’ve never seen anything like it .( before or after ) Most of those wine should never have been released.
Looks like a little change of pace from the usual Ramonet and DRC.Thanks for the notes

Kris - Probably no culinary school but I do like finding some good sounding recipes and tweaking them. The dinners I fix are all centered around what wines we are having.

2004 was the vintage that got me worried about direction or vineyard or winemaking as all the wines from Macon Verze to 1er had a wicked lick of sulphur added, seemingly at bottling, to stabilize something.

With Diam and other changes, my concerns have mostly dissipated, but the rap for those pox/odd years is hard for many to forget when you’re trying to sell them.

Great stuff as always. May be time for a Ponsot CdR vertical!