TNs: White wines with cheese fondue

After very little wine drinking in the past weeks I got together with three mates yesterday for some fondue, baba au rhum, wine and Chartreuse. After all that and a most pleasant fat cigar afterwards I can happily say that I am almost completely free of hangover, which is probably thanks to the Chartreuse ‘1605’ Liqueur d’Elixir, a 56 % ABV version of the verte that does not reach the heights of the most fantastic digestif of them all - the green VEP - but at 55 € a bottle is very well priced with an attractive cinnamon note.

Our first try with baba au rhum, probably my favorite dessert in the world, had to be considered a success. Our host had complained a day or two before that he never gets to open his dessert wines so this turned out to be a good opportunity. The 1996 Coutet was not only a fantastic match for the baba, it is the best Sauternes I’ve had, simply divine stuff. Now I understand.

• NV Gosset Champagne Brut Excellence - France, Champagne (20.10.2019)
    Understated and stylish on the nose with beautiful autolytic toastiness, mineral tones and seemingly PN-dominated fruit. On the palate on the lighter side and dry with slight bitterness. Very much an unshowy style of Champagne but does what it should: drinks well, whets the appetite and pairs nicely with scallops.
  • 2012 Weingut Kranz Riesling Ilbesheim Trocken - Germany, Pfalz (20.10.2019)
    The nose is very much driven by savory and herbal notes, the fruit has definitely gone to the background. Dry, lean and focused on the palate, not a single bit of fat at this point. Very spry, not a crowd-pleaser in its slightly ascetic appearance but highly drinkable and very food-friendly.
  • 2014 Tiefenbrunner Müller-Thurgau Alto Adige - Südtirol Feldmarschall von Fenner - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (20.10.2019)
    Petrol, honey, stone fruit and spice on the very attractive nose. On the palate generous and ripe fruited with a serious acid structure and firm mouthfeel. Very much akin to a high quality Riesling from Alsace in its expression and build. Powerful yet sophisticated, exudes confidence.
  • 2016 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben Kamptal Reserve - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (20.10.2019)
    Ripe on the nose yet simultaneously very savory too with tangy citrus fruits and white pepper. Ultra chiselled on the palate with intense saltiness and very high acidity. Clearly built for the long haul yet irresistible already. A truly grand expression of Grüner Veltliner.
  • 1996 Château Coutet - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac (20.10.2019)
    Vivid dark brown color. The nose is just so expressive with a complexity that makes me think of salted nougat. Just the most delicious nutty note on this very lively aroma. On the palate moderately proportioned with fantastic lift and energy. Impeccable balance, the finish goes on and on. Has dropped quite a lot of its sweetness, seems to be at its peak. A real treat.

Posted from CellarTracker