TN: 2000 Trimbach "Clos Ste. Hune" - The Holy Grail of Riesling

2000 Trimbach "Clos Ste. Hune"

“The Jewel in Trimbach’s crown is the Hunawihr Riesling Clos St Hune. This is a painfully rare wine from the tiny 1.3 hectare vineyard producing only around 7000 bottles per vintage. To most enthusiasts, Trimbach’s Clos Sainte Hune is not only Alsace’s best Riesling, but also one of the world’s finest white wines.” Jancis Robinson

"The densely planted vines are pretty old (more than 50 years on average), with the oldest planted in the 1940s and the youngest in the 1980s.“ WA
"Clos Ste-Hune is not a wine for the impatient. It can take ten years to become approachable, 20 years or more to reach its peak.“ Wine&Spirits

Mind-blowing purity&precision and bone dry combined with a salty minerality of the Muschelkalk terroir and a never-ending length. This is very much like licking a rock. Even for me, as an experienced Riesling connoisseur always a great great honour to have the chance to drink Clos St. Hune. Very good to drink now and no rush.

95/100

IMG_0068.jpg
Cheers,
Martin

agree, but for 90% of the quality at 25% of the price, the Frédéric Emile gets most of my Trimbach dollars. I’ve also had some premoxed CSH.

And I would never spend Hune money on a 2000. It’s just a weird vintage.

I like Riesling, but personnally I’ve never been impressed by Ste Hune… But with all the praise on this wine, I’m not giving up yet :slight_smile:

1989 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Vendanges Tardives - France, Alsace (20-08-16)
Very nutty, petrol, un peu piquant… Nice sweetness, a bit short in the finish (89 pts.)

1983 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Vendanges Tardives - France, Alsace (20-08-16)
Nutty nose, petrol, hint of paint… Nice sweetness, lacking a bit lenght, has become totally dry!! (88 pts.)

1997 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace (09-01-11)
Nose of petroleum, a bit of yellow apple… in the mouth, yellow apple, lacking lenght, lacking minerality… also dissapointing… (88 pts.)

1997 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace (25-11-07)
Nose of white flowers, ripe apples compotte. In the mounth, some minerality, but very short… the group conclusion is that this could be a bad bottle 87?/100 NR (flawed)

As you know you need a bit of luck with aged wines and a cold cellar. On the other hand maybe Ste Hune is not your cup of tea. Fair to say its a monument of stone and some people like more fruity Rieslings.

I had the very good fortune a few years ago to drink the ‘95, ‘90, ‘88 and ‘83 CSH side by side. The last three
were all fabulous! Truly a peak wine experience for me.

As much as I love Trimbach Clos Sainte
Hune IMO the holy grail of Riesling is found a vit to the North East of Alsace
Where Breuer Schlossberg is msde [cheers.gif]

I have not 1 holy grail, instead 4-5-6. Of course also Breuer Schlossberg, Keller G-Max and Pettenthal GG, Koehler-Ruprecht Saumagen etc. pepsi

That’s right Martin

The ‘83 and ‘89 sound cooked. I’ve had great examples of both within the last 5 years, and they were on an even plateau or maybe ‘83 starting a slow fade.

The ‘97s sound premoxed. AFAIK, premox in Hune started in 1994 and then got worse, and it took a long time before the estate would acknowledge the issue. (I’ve also had great bottles of ‘94 from a friend’s cellar.) My ‘96s bought on release were poxed. I stopped even looking at CSH offers because of the issue and stick with CFE.

Also, 1997 was a (then) atypically hot year that produced some really imbalanced wines. Sadly, that atypicity eventually became the norm, but they eventually learned how to — at least to the extent possible — handle it better.

Any update as to when the 2010 will be released?