TN: 2000 Ch. Meyney - St. Estephe

I served this to my brown-bag group tonight. Decanted three hours before it was served.

Very dark color. Faint note of papaya, someone said, and he was right – just a trace. But very little else on the nose.

On the palate, this was dense, tannic, and rustic. VERY young in structure, though the flavors showed some evolution. This is tight, tight, tight, but what fruit does show is ripe. Needs 5 . . . or 10 . . . or 15 years more. Guess I’ll find out, since I have three more bottles.

On the finish, very tight and tannic.

None of the other five people there guessed Bordeaux.

I had to wonder if this went through reverse osmosis. It seems like a wine that’s a little too extracted.

Quite disappointing. It seemed like a vintage in which Meyney would excel. This was just too closed and tannic for 19 years. I see the recent Cellartracker scores are mostly around 88, with an 82 and a 90. I’d be in the mid-80s.

Thanks, John. Interesting. I’ll have to open one of mine to compare notes.

How is DavidZ?

They really should have made better wine in this year (as well as 2003).

Chewed through a bit of a case, and then turned the rest into a party wine, which ended up getting stolen by our bartender at an event.

Thanks for the interesting note, John! During the eighties and nineties, I frequently tasted Meyney, but I never became a fan of this Cru Bourgeois. I remember many unripe, acidic, lean and watery wines that showed little fruit, but lots of unpleasant green and vegetable notes. Their excellent 1990, however, was a pleasant surprise.

The 1989 was an epiphany wine for me and my friends. I’ll bet we went through at least two cases at our local pizza joint. Never a bad bottle. Never had a post-1990 wow bottle since then.

I was recently blown away by a couple of 1986 half bottles.
I used to work for the bank who now owns the property so I got good prices on some recent vintages. I just acquired 2005, 2009 and 2010 but with TNs like in this topic I don’t know if opening them now is a good idea.

What happened to the bartender? Did you confront the bartender?

The '82, '86 and '89 were and still are really good wines. Apart from those I’ve stayed away, but haven’t tried recent vintages.

I’ve never bought much Meyney, but I’ve been served very nice bottles from time to time over several decades. I can’t really recall now, but maybe they were all pre-2000.

I had words with his manager after the event. They denied everything.

Additionally they had the cheek to aggressively solicit additional cash tips…after I had already given them a $3000 amount to cover service at the event ahead of time.

All these years later it still peeves me.

Hopefully all that Meyney stuck in their craw

OMG.

I would have filed a police report.