Jolie Laide Fall Pick Up and Open House 10/12/19

Last Saturday was Fall Open House and Pick Up for Jolie Laide. Owner - Winemaker Scott Schultz really is dialed in to crafting these wines which really speak of their site. If lively fruit, good acidity, lots of whole cluster, old neutral wood, low ABV, appeals to you then you should be looking into the wines of Jolie Laide. There was a large lively crowd attending but got to talk a bit with Scott and that will be reflected in the tasting notes. Scott has a Spring release (mostly whites) and Fall release (mostly reds)

2018 Trousseau Gris Farnucchi-Wood Rd Vineyard RRV: This wine (like previous vintages) sees some time on the skins. Very expressive aromas of citrus and white flowers. Flavors of blood orange, peach pit, very floral with hints of spice and sl bitterness. The 2018 seems a touch fuller in the mouth than previous vintages which gives a nice texture. Medium acidity and body there is a bit if tannic grip on the finish. A lovely wine and will be versatile at the dinner table. 12% ABV

2018 Trousseau Noir, Poulsard, Gamay, Valdiguie: This is a mouthful to say and drink. A new wine for Scott and he is pleased enough with the wine to firm up the vineyard sources and possibly add a couple in the future. “Inspired by our reverence of the wines of the French Alps- Trousseau Noir, Poulsard, Gamay Noir, and yes (untraditionally) some old vine Valdiguie”. Partial carbonic and all whole cluster
I liken it to the very best qualities of a Rosé, Rosado and a light red. Cherry, strawberry floral aromas, flavors of red raspberry Jolly Rancher, wild strawberry, cranberry, spice and earthy notes. Mineral driven, very good acidity and terrific balance, enjoy this on the porch, at Thanksgiving, with fish, chicken, hell just drink it! Great addition to the line up. 12.5% ABV

2017 Grenache Provisor Vineyard: From a vineyard just outside the town of Healdsburg, fruit is crushed by foot, 100% whole cluster and pressed to old barrels. Have had multiple vintages of this wine and it is remarkably consistent. Floral cherry, strawberry and spice aromas, Cherry, strawberry Twizzler, raspberry essence, spicy cinnamon and fennel. Medium acidity and body with some sneaky sweet tannins on the finish tying everything together. A lot of Grenache gets a bad rap when grown in California but the JL is exactly what I look for in Grenache. 12.5% ABV

2017 Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre (GSM) Shake Ridge Ranch: Scott mentioned that Rossi Ranch was being replanted so what does he do. Gets coveted Shake Ridge Ranch fruit! Scott said rather than make a single variety he wanted to make a blend that showed off the different soils and micro climates of the site. All the fruit was picked together and cofermented whole cluster. This wine has it all, raspberry cherry fruit with lovely rosy-violet aromas, white pepper, spice and some earthy green olive notes.
I sometimes think we all (winemakers and consumers) go overboard on site location and what it provides. Having said that this wine shows that same expressive rosy-violet floral aroma you see in every wine from this site (Dirty&Rowdy as an example). Best of all this wine is not a one off as there is an 2018 and 2019 vintage. 13% ABV

2017 Syrah Halcon Vineyard: Jolie Laide wines are never “big” but if there was a wine that was most concentrated with the ability to age the Halcon Syrah is it. From Scott, “Halcon is an extraordinary, rocky site at 2500 ft in the Yorkville Highlands. High elevation, cold coastal breezes, extreme low vigor soils and dense plantings converge to grow a enigmatic style of Syrah mostly unknown in California. Dramatic conditions constrict the sugar accumulation meaning we pick later but at a lower brix level- preserving natural acidity”.
Grapes are crushed by foot, fermented whole cluster and pressed to old oak barrels. Aromas of dark fruit, blackberry, black current, lavender. Blackberry, boysenberry, green olive herbal notes, crushed black pepper and hints of gamy bacon. Very concentrated and tightly wound this baby can age for sure. Very good acidity, medium body and mouth coating tannins. Want to come back in several years and enjoy all this wine can offer. 12.5% ABV

This is a great time in Wine Country. Several more Open Houses - Pick Ups in the next few weeks!

The Line Up
IMG_20191012_141216.jpg

Great notes Tom. I love what Scott is doing with these wines. Really hard to keep my hands off them.

Awesome notes. I tend to drink through my Jolie Laide pretty quickly…anyone have experience giving the non-Halcon a little age?

Best any have had with me is a year, maybe two. My Halćons will be a study in patience.

Can you share pricing on these wines?

The pricing on the Fall Release wines above: IMO, all are very good values.

$30.00 2018 Trousseau Gris Farnucchi-Wood Rd Vineyard RRV

$30.00 2018 Trousseau Noir, Poulsard, Gamay, Valdiguie

$38.00 2017 Grenache Provisor Vineyard

$38.00 2017 Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre (GSM) Shake Ridge Ranch

$45.00 2017 Syrah Halcon Vineyard

Tom

Thanks! Guess I just signed up. [cheers.gif]

I asked this question in another thread but not sure anyone saw it, so I’ll re-ask here:

"Both the project and the wines sound pretty similar to Sandlands. Which I love – had a 2017 Red Table Wine (blend of carignane and mataro, I think) the other night which was so damn good.

Anyone want to comment on whether they agree or disagree with that statement?"

Similar in the thought of non-traditional CA varieties. Tegan’s wines are more structured for aging in my opinion. Scott’s wines scream drink me now.

Same boat then. Maybe I’ll hide a few from myself and check in after a few years…

Something something hole in the head. I signed up.

Sorry Chris, I missed your question. I think Sandlands and Jolie Laide are very similar as long as you compare grape varieties that are relatively similar in flavor impact and ability to age. Jolie Laide makes more wines that are meant to be enjoyed earlier regardless of who makes it. Melon, Gamay, Pinot Gris, the new trousseau noir blend etc. On wines of overall similarity such as Sandlands Mourvèdre vs Jolie Laide GSM they are pretty similar in impact, ability to age etc.

Not sure if I’m making sense but hopefully you get what I mean.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I signed up for their mailing list, maybe I’ll dabble in some of their wines in 2020 if I get an allocation.

K&L have some of their wines in stock, but not these fall releases. The Melon de Bourgogne looks particularly interesting. Chalone AVA. The old Chalone Pinot Blancs were actually Melon, and were quite good. (Some weird-ass decision making there led them to replant with actual Pinot Blanc rather than just relabel the wine going forward and stick with a known winner.)

Wes, that selection at K&L is a good one. The Melon de Bourgogne is a favorite of mine. Hard to find a better wine to pair with briny oysters or other seafood. My notes from the Spring Pick Up include 4 of the 5 wines offered at K&L.

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/jolie-laide-wines-pick-up-and-open-house-5-11-2019/152139/1