KELLER Kirchspiel&Hubacker&Abtserde 08,10,13,15,17 and impressions from the island of Sylt

On monday a group of friends came together at the Söl`ring Hof at the island of Sylt for a vertical of KELLER Kirchspiel&Hubacker&Abtserde GG 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 and 2017.

All the Rieslings showed terrific, also friends who are not so into Keller wines were deeply impressed by the performance. Its all about precision, purity and elegance. I personally were impressed how the winemaker KP Keller improved over the years or to make the wines make better from vintage to vintage. No stagnancy! For example KP reduced the RS from 4-5g to under 2g RS in the last 10 years. Or to add an extra wild dimension in the 2017 vintage. In addition the wines age terrific.

I also would like to recommend the island of Sylt. Great restaurants and also terrific wine lists. Bigger wine lists and even cheaper than in Berlin. For example I found a 2018 Keller Limestone Kabinett Magnum for 80 Euro in the famous SANSIBAR restaurant. Also great fish&seafood products.

Video: Der Söl'ring Hof auf Sylt – das 5-Sterne-Hotel & 2 Sterne-Restaurant - YouTube

Note: wines marked with * are the best of the flight according to my personal view

2008 Kirchspiel
Lush fruit meets limestone or the juice of a cracked fruit trickle over limestone. In addition a sublime elegance

2008 Hubacker
Very exotic Hubi. A mix of oriental spices like cardamon. Very seductive. Interesting that the famous veggie notes of 2008 completely disappeared. In the youth they had a lot of green paprika or green vegetable flavors, as they were fermented with the stalks in oder to soften the high acidity of 2008.

2008 Abtserde *
Elegance with no end, precise and with huge acidity. Simply fantastic.

2010 Kirchspiel
Very pure&precise with flavors of blossoms and herbs. And limestone of course. It looks like that it was the first vintage of under 2g RS, before it was around 4-5g RS for the GGs.

2010 Hubacker *
Its all about precision and finesse with a touch of candied citrus zest.

2010 Abtserde
Still a baby. A touch too opulent for my taste.

2013 Kirchspiel
WOW…….what a stunning bouquet. You don’t want to drink it. haha
The whole mouth is coated with magic juice. And the famous sommelier Bärbel Ring said, „the shoulder pads are gone“. Again this wonderful precision.

2013 Hubacker
Exotic fruit meets precision and freshness.

2013 Abtserde *
Brilliant. Precision meets floating elegance. Bottom-line, all 3 wines from 2013 were mind-blowing.

2015 Kirchspiel *
Quite wild and rebellious. Very very fascinating. I would say here we have a Natural Wine for older people like me. Fair to say I hate most of the Natural or Orange Wines. But KP knows his onions.

2015 Hubacker
no notes

2015 Abtserde
no notes

2017 Kirchspiel
Taste of Nashi pear.

2017 Hubacker *
OMG………what a nose. Reminds me on the Rieslings of Schäfer-Fröhlich with the same Sponti notes. Holy shit this is a mind-blowing wild Riesling. And it shows that KP is able to add a new extra special dimension to this wines or should I say he is still able to improve or to up the ante.

2017 Absterde
A bit closed.

Cheers,
Martin

Soil of _Kirchspie_l - limestone

soil.jpeg

Thanks for the great report from Sylt. It is a beautiful and kind of exotic island. Love reading your impressions from the Keller wines

TAK

Sylt is worth a trip, definitely not my last one. The wine lists in the restaurants are huge&deep, not expensive and thank god no Natural Wines. :wink:

I really have to mention again how stunned some friends were with smile in their faces drinking all these Keller wines. Not biased like me! :wink:

Not Keller nor Sylt are in need of additional Marketing. Both are in high demand already. In fact Sylt is overloaded with tourists especially in the warm month but not only.

typical German [headbang.gif]

P.S.

IMG_2274.jpg
me&good friend

Thanks for the great notes! What an amazing tasting. Very happy to read the note on the 13 Absterde as I just picked a Magnum up at auction.